It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Critter Deterrents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Anyone know of an inexpensive way to keep nightime critters out of our backyard? We almost had a run-in with a raccoon last night... affraid Dakota saw it before I did and flew out the door. 2 years ago, we had a run-in with a skunk...
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm

First time is hard to prevent but found that a paintball gun teaches them a dirty lesson (if you prefer not to kill them.
The other is either a pellet or .22 caliber bullet which takes care of the problem for ever.

Last edited by Here4thePics on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 2:16 pm

i try to turn the porch light on first as a warning then they get let out. i thought Huskies were Critter Deterrents scratch

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:18 pm

jbealer wrote:
i try to turn the porch light on first as a warning then they get let out. i thought Huskies were Critter Deterrents scratch

I turn on the porch light, then use a flashlight to check all the dark corners, but last night...mischevious little houdini that she is, managed to sqeeze between my legs and the door and make a bee-line!

Evidently the critters in my neighborhood (large and small) don't pay any mind to the smell and evidence of dogs living in my back yard... Critter Deterrents 1625187496 We get the typical squirrels (as evidenced this a.m. when I thought Dakota was going to go through the door), neighborhood cats that love to torment the pups, skunks (not a fun experience) and raccoons. Who knows what else we have in the area that can find a way into our backyard...
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:43 pm

i have the SAME issues. nikki got sprayed 7 TIMES last year!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:49 pm

F**cking opossums and RATS are our problem! UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 4:36 pm

We've got rats too!

They make little motion sensor sprinklers that will spray anything that sets them off, but that would include a husky too unless you could turn them off from your house before you let your dog out.

We had problems with stray cats coming in our backyard and upsetting our indoor cats. That's a lot of the reason why we got a dog. lol. Now the kitties stay away!

Critter Deterrents Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Ever since the skunk incident, we don't let the dogs out after dark by themselves. At sunset they come in and have to tell us when they need to go out. Then we turn on the light, scan the yard using a flashlight and then let them out one at a time...royal PITA during the winter...
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
Ever since the skunk incident, we don't let the dogs out after dark by themselves. At sunset they come in and have to tell us when they need to go out. Then we turn on the light, scan the yard using a flashlight and then let them out one at a time...royal PITA during the winter...

I let Kale out on a flexi leash when he goes potty at night, that way I don't have to get my feet wet lol. I don't have a problem with animals coming into our yard, my 12 yr old kitty Tabitha will kick some major a$$ Very Happy The only thing we have are birds, but they usually don't fly around at night.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I do the lead at night in the yard as well. If we walk around the yard and there's nothing out there I'll let him off the lead. I only ever use the lead in the yard at night specifically for the nocturnal animals.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Ok, I have a funny story about critters! My cousins yorkie was attacked by a coyote awhile back and somehow managed to get away from him alive. He had to have two surgeries.....this is not the funny part... It's been maybe a month and he is finally on the mend so now my cousin only takes him out on a leash when he has to go potty. She takes him out in the early am a couple of days ago, on a leash mind you, and the next thing she knows, he lunges at racoon! She goes to grab him and the racoon and him are attached to each other! She had to swing this poor dog back and forth to get the dang racoon off of him! She was so sure she was gonna have to take him in for another surgery but once inside under the lights she could not find one single wound. The thought of seeing her swiging this little ol yorkie to get a big ol racoon off of him just cracks me up! The whole time she's telling the story, her husband is just shaking his head. This dog has 9 lives!
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 am

Im with Jenn I thought Huskies are the deterrents scratch
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 11:06 am

You could toss your garbage in some other yard to make THAT yard more desirable...
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Libby, is my mouse hunter. I have 2 cats and they seem to think whatever, but it was a surprise to me a few weeks ago when I came home to find she had pounced on a mouse and killed it, I think she thought it was a toy. Not too sure how it got in, in the first place but haven't had any since.

She never gets the chance to chase the racoons, but would love to catch a chipmunk or rabbit and she also tried to climb the tree for a squirerl, for a half hour. The sit and chirp at her to torment her. She will get them back one of these days.

In the winter she never really goes into the yard unless we are playing, she usually does all her business on the deck in the corner. Easier to clean up for me.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 1:49 pm

We really don't have a critter problem, its more of a stray dog issue. We have rocks around the bushes in the backyard, so I chunk them at their heads if they are around when I let Neo out. The usually leave in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Mindy, the raccoon story is so funny! And it is a tough yorkie to escape from the coyote like that. He's like a cat with nine lives!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Critter Deterrents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critter Deterrents   Critter Deterrents Empty

Back to top Go down

Critter Deterrents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1