It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

what collars?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ajmag
Puppy
Puppy
ajmag

Male Join date : 2011-10-26

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: what collars?   what collars? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 pm

what kind of collars are you all using? chain collars,leather,or a harness? i cant decide what i wanna use lol. leaning towards are chain collar
heres my pup, what will look best? wanna do away with the pink for now...
what collars? DSC00663
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 pm

we use ruffwear collars http://www.ruffwear.com/Hoopie-Collar-trade_6?sc=2&category=16
for everyday use and Jack wears a pinch collar for walks.
the RW collars hold up and never wear out. ours look as good as the day we got them 2.5yrs ago!

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 pm

We have earthdog collars for our two (they're hemp), plus a few others that I don't know the brand of (all of those are nylon I believe).

what collars? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:54 pm

I have Dublin Dog collars for the summer time and when we do "wet" stuff. I have 2 new collars for Mickey and Odin for now which I got from Collar Mania.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 11:04 pm

Aevyn uses a Kong collar, its just a regular snap one. Its pretty sturdy, does the job.

However whenever he's out for walks/hikes he's (usually) in a harness. I'm not too sure how much I'd trust him with a collar when hiking.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:52 am

Kale wears a New Earth collar that is made of soy, and he wears a pinch collar or a martingale collar for walks, and a fitted harness for runs. Chain collars, in my experience, damage the trachea and break the hairs around the neck.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:33 am

We've used a canvas buckle collar, a chain collar, and are currently testing the ruff wear knot-a-just collar and the ruff wear top rope collar. We also have a harness used for long walks and hikes. We have some ollydog collars on the way to test. So far the top-rope is the best collar function wise, but I prefer the knot-a-just looks wise ( he wears it 90% of the time currently). It tends to loosen over time which can be annoying, but it's ever so slight.. If you have a puller I'd recommend something else for walks.

We had nothing but bad experiences with the chain collar.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 4:52 am

We use Dublin Dog collars and Ezydog collars Smile
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 am

I use a RuffWear collar.
I wouldn´t use a chain collar for a husky, I like chain collars but I think the hair of a Husky is too long for a chain collar.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 10:20 am

I know one guy who has a chain collar for his husky. He said it started staining the husky's fur a grey color after wearing it for a while. I wouldn't recommend a chain collar either or at least only for walks, not all the time.

what collars? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 pm

I have a leather coach collar. I liked the fact it was easy to adjust and it has lasted for 3 yrs and is as good as when I bought it. I had a nylon one when she was little but it seemed to start to fray. I have never used any sort of prong collar on her. I have a harness for walks though
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 pm

That is one problem another is that the fur can get stuck in the links too easy.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Nylon collars for their tags, harnesses for walkies!

Pet peeve : IMHO, chains are just for people who like to look all tough with their dogs. Smile Or who haven't taught them to walk nice on leash. At least around these parts.

Went to a GSD focused training session before I knew better and all the ol' biddies said "OMG - you don't have a CHOKE chain? How do you control you DOG?" as I walked in with an 80 lb Chili walking nicely while their choke-chained GSDs were pulling them all over the place. They would also throw an extra chain collar on the floor near the dog as negative reinforcement. Needless to say, we switched training facilities immediately.

Either way, even these people didn't use choke collars are everyday collars. Nylon, leather, rubber - get a good collar and inspect it regularly for wear. Good luck with your little munchkin!

Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I use a leather rolled Buckle collar for Braiden for his tags. Skyla has a flat leather buckle collar with bling (rhinestones and pearls), and Max has a flat leather buckle collar with his name embroidered on it. For walks each has a Kurgo harness. I like Hot Dog collars.com. They have a lot of choices and their engraved ID tags are AWESOME. They are very heavy (thick) with great engraving. Skyla has the purple flower, Braiden has a Peace sign and Max has a Palm tree.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:51 pm

I have always used nylon collars, I started out with nylon buckle collars and later switched to nylon martingale collars. My sibe currently wears a Premier martingale collar which has been my favorite collar by far. My dogs only wear collars for their ID tags. All walking is done in harness.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:11 pm

we use a very thin rope collar for their tags and they never come off unless in their crates. I don't like how regular collars mat their fur and this one is thin so it doesn't bother them Smile And that way they always have their tags on.

For walks we have two chains or nylon martingales.

what collars? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
desi
Puppy
Puppy
desi

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 pm

I use a nylon collar forhis tags - and a harness and chain collar for walks. Bob is like Houdini and has found a way to wriggle out or escape from normal collars and his harness.
Back to top Go down
ajmag
Puppy
Puppy
ajmag

Male Join date : 2011-10-26

what collars? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what collars?   what collars? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 7:35 pm

wow thanks for all the input! im gonna go with the ruffwear for now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what collars? Empty