It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is she depressed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Is she depressed? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Have you looked at Adopt a Husky? They do adoption all over the Midwest. We got approved to adopt from them a few years ago. Then we got Kitty so we never did though.We still go to their Husky Hike every year to help them raise money. They have quite a few dogs available right now. Their website is www.adoptahusky.com

I worked with a girl that use to work at the northern lights facility, and she said the owner is a real b***h and advised me not to adopt from their. She said that people who would have been great husky owners were often denied for trivial reasons, even if they were already experienced with the breed. Your experience could be totally different, but just want you to know so you can be prepared.

You will know pretty quick if Willow will get along with another dog. I am excited for you both! Good luck with your search!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
Have you looked at Adopt a Husky? They do adoption all over the Midwest. We got approved to adopt from them a few years ago. Then we got Kitty so we never did though.We still go to their Husky Hike every year to help them raise money. They have quite a few dogs available right now. Their website is www.adoptahusky.com

I worked with a girl that use to work at the northern lights facility, and she said the owner is a real b***h and advised me not to adopt from their. She said that people who would have been great husky owners were often denied for trivial reasons, even if they were already experienced with the breed. Your experience could be totally different, but just want you to know so you can be prepared.

You will know pretty quick if Willow will get along with another dog. I am excited for you both! Good luck with your search!

All the Adopt a husky dogs say no to cats so I didn't bother to ask them. That's not good to hear about Northern lights. I will let you know how it goes!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Awww poor Willow! I like everyone's suggestions to do day care and dog parks, and reassess in a few weeks.

Definitely rescue! Good luck! Smile Also check facebook in your area - there are a ton of smaller rescues popping up in our area because the big ones are full.

She sounds great but Willow will be the test! And expect a couple of weeks of working things out whenever you get the 2nd dog home (although some dogs hit it off right away and establish the pack order fast!). Chili picked out Frosti but was a total brat once we got in the truck and for the next couple of weeks at home --> but now it's like this!
Is she depressed? - Page 2 Photo_15

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:02 am

Awww Sam such a cute pic! They love each other! Mya only rarely let's Kody lay on her, BUT it's totally fine for her to lay on HIM..lol
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:05 am

MelissaI wrote:
Awww Sam such a cute pic! They love each other! Mya only rarely let's Kody lay on her, BUT it's totally fine for her to lay on HIM..lol

Well, SHE loves him. He tolerates her! Wink

What about this rescue?

http://huskyrescue.org/index.php

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
MelissaI wrote:

Well, SHE loves him. He tolerates her! Wink

What about this rescue?

http://huskyrescue.org/index.php

That rescue is the one I mentioned above. Free Spirit Rescue. Smile My biggest hurdle is going to be the cats. It's not easy finding adults ok with cats.

Love the pic of Chili and Frosti!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:42 am

26nikita wrote:
Lu&Katsmom wrote:

All the Adopt a husky dogs say no to cats so I didn't bother to ask them. That's not good to hear about Northern lights. I will let you know how it goes!

Big oops on my part, the crabby lady owned the OTHER rescue you mentioned, free spirit, the one with all the dogs in one place. Was trying to think of other rescues while we were out for a walk and realized my mistake! Embarassed Haven't heard anything bad about northern lights! This is what I get for not sleeping. Sorry! Couldn't think of any other rescues but if I do I'll let you know. I know a lot of times adopt a husky does not put all the dogs on their website. Wouldn't hurt to contact them and let them know what your looking for!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 am

Mindy,
North star sib husky rescue here in denver just posted a female that is good with cats, want to come to CO?

Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:41 am

Found a website that lists a few in Illinois.
http://husky.rescueme.org/Illinois
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 am

jbealer wrote:
Mindy,
North star sib husky rescue here in denver just posted a female that is good with cats, want to come to CO?

That would be awesome if I could make a trip up there!

Thanks for the website Melissa! I didn't know that existed!

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I found a few more in IL via Adoptapet.com - sometimes it's the same as petfinder but sometimes you find a gem!:
http://www.adoptapet.com/dog-adoption/search/250/miles/chicago%2C%20IL?family_name=Siberian%20Husky&family_id=817 (I put in Chicago since I don't know where you live Wink )

Agouti youngster good with cats (it says shep - but dunno) - she may be too young for ya'll.
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet6437141.html

And the shelter list on petharbor lists a ton I've never heard of!
http://petharbor.com/

You guys seem pretty close to Wisconsin (relatively, vs California hehe)- maybe Jennet has some leads?

Rescuing vs buying from a breeder sometimes seems like a lot of work - but is definitely worth it! I was pretty intimidated by the local rescues until I met some. One was a pain in the ass and gave us a selection of 3 dogs out of 50 since we work full time. But the other one was surprisingly awesome - the one where we got Chili & Frosti!

Good luck! How exciting!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Poor Willow Sad I haven't had experience with dog mourning, but right before we got Zoey, and the reason we got Zoey, was we could tell Embry was getting really depressed it was so weird. He would walk around crying all the time, it even made me sad! It stopped though when he had a friend..

Definitely will keep my eyes on the rescues in your area.

I have also heard bad things about Northern Lights..

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:40 pm

this baby caught my eyes I love you
Is she depressed? - Page 2 11-06-24-00134
Kita (male)

Siberian Husky Age: Puppy

Compatibility: Good w/ Most Dogs, Good w/ Most Cats, Good w/ Kids and Adults
Personality: High Energy, Average Temperament
Health: Neutered, Vaccinations Current

Kita is a ball of energy. He is an inside dog, but prefers to be outside. He LOVES to go on bike rides and long walks and enjoys dog parks. Kita is great with ANYONE and good with kids. He will not jump on children but will jump on adults when excited. He knows to only play with his doggie toys and not touch/take baby or kid toys. We have a family of 3 children, the youngest is 2 and 6 cats and a smaller dog and Kita is great with all. Kita NEEDS a fenced in yard and someone who knows the breed and is active or likes to jog. He knows basic commands sit/down and he knows how to potty in one area of the yard. If he is bored and left ... (Read More)unsupervised he WILL dig in the yard. Kita will be 2 on August 20th of this year. I am open to a trail adoption. MUST have Husky experience. More pictures info upen request. Most important, he is house trained, but if he alerts you that he needs to go outside, he will potty in the house and then hide under a table knowing he did wrong. I love our dog, but he would really benefit from someone who has another Husky or more time for him since he is still an active playful pup. Kita is microchipped and up to date on his vaccines. (Less)

Adoption Fee: $150.00 Animal Location:

Cook County chicago, IL MAP IT!

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I also found this page listing another rescue:
http://www.siberianrescue.com/midwest.htm

Homes for Huskies-Siberian Husky Rescue

* Lockport IL 60441
* Linda or Randy Gondek 815-439-2313 leave message
* lh4h@hotmail.com

Jennet - the one you listed is pretty darn cute!

Wish you guys were closer - there's a cat friendly female at our local rescue! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I found Willow's twin I love you http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20638743

Also, Free Spirit Siberian Rescue, if you're interested in a dog, they will test the dog with cats if you contact them..
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 pm

The Lockport rescue is the one that won't deal with anyone over an hour away. I wanted to adopt a Willow look alike last year from them and they wouldn't even return my phone call! Found out that Autumn on this forum had her at their shelter and they transported her to the Lockport rescue. She called up the rescue to find out why they didn't call me back and that's when I found out they won't deal with anyone over an hour away. Sad I am still waiting to hear from Northern Lights on Lumen. If she is available, I totaly want her as long as her and Willow get on. Her profile states she is super freindly and is already house trained and crate trained. I do want to look at all my options though in case she is already taken, which it sounds like she is, so thank you all for posting all these websites! I didn't know about half of them!

Jennet, I love the Willow look alike you just posted! She is georgous!

On another note....I may have an option locally! I called the Bloomington Humane Society, the town I work in and they don't have any huskies but she said it would be in my best interest to call back on Wednesday. I assumed she wasn't allowed to give out details yet since that is how she worded it but I will definatley check back. I won't get too excited though since I still have to make sure they are cat friendly and they get on with Willow. Honestly, it is so much easier to just get a dang puppy, but I am going to work on being very patient until the right rescue comes along.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:15 pm

that's the reason i went puppy was because of the cat. it's so hard to rescue a siberian into a house with cats. i mean zoey didn't get introduced to our cat till she was 14 weeks old, but she did great..
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm

26nikita wrote:
On another note....I may have an option locally! I called the Bloomington Humane Society, the town I work in and they don't have any huskies but she said it would be in my best interest to call back on Wednesday. I assumed she wasn't allowed to give out details yet since that is how she worded it but I will definatley check back. I won't get too excited though since I still have to make sure they are cat friendly and they get on with Willow. Honestly, it is so much easier to just get a dang puppy, but I am going to work on being very patient until the right rescue comes along.

Good luck! Smile Poor cats they test with! Wink hehe Our rescue's cat was in their Christmas card picture - in a crate in the middle of 8 huskies! hehe

It's definitely more work finding a rescue dog - but it's easier in the long run if you get the right dog! Chili was "dog in a box" - he was ready to go - he's crate trained, potty trained, knew all his commands and more! Saved us endless sleepless nights! Smile Frosti's making up for it, though so definitely take your time to choose the next dog. Smile We wanted a "real" husky for #2 and sure got it!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:14 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Poor cats they test with! Wink hehe Our rescue's cat was in their Christmas card picture - in a crate in the middle of 8 huskies! hehe

I always wondered how they did the actual test....
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 am

26nikita wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Poor cats they test with! Wink hehe Our rescue's cat was in their Christmas card picture - in a crate in the middle of 8 huskies! hehe

I always wondered how they did the actual test....

Maybe crate first and then if they don't react, take the cat out? I hope Kitty gets combat pay! Wink

BTW, I was thinking that maybe some other rescues have huskies - like mal rescue?

This one has one - Elwood, but no word about cats. The other guys on the page say "no cats". Worth a look?
http://iamra.org/our_dogs_currently_up_for_adopti.htm

Some more in Ohio - is that far from you?
Sakari - cat friendly - http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20876447 (looks out of date, though)

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21191657 - is that within 100 miles of you?

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 am

I'm sure there are some huskies who will attack house cats but I get very frustrated when a scue automatically labels them as anti-cat just because they a huskies. My girl loves her kitties. I'm willing to be that a lot of those dogs would be perfectly fine in your home once they understand the cats are family too. Delilah pretty considers them part of her pack.

On another note, I am so sorry for your loss and although I have been reading all the posts I had not yet expressed my condolences. If you would like I am from Michigan and would have no problem checking our area for dogs...this one looks wonderful and is in Indiana

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21205765
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am

And I am in love with her...but this is a bit of a drive...

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21252290
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 2:49 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I'm sure there are some huskies who will attack house cats but I get very frustrated when a scue automatically labels them as anti-cat just because they a huskies. My girl loves her kitties. I'm willing to be that a lot of those dogs would be perfectly fine in your home once they understand the cats are family too. Delilah pretty considers them part of her pack.

my Girl would kill any small animal inside or out. we tired to work with her and our caged chinchillas and it did not work, all she did was stalk the cage even with us redirecting her attention away. it was for the safety of the Chins to re-home them Sad
and even after 2yrs of hiking with a small dog she still sees her as pray, its just in her...
even with a cat friendly husky if that husky is re-homed it does not grantee that it will be friendly with the new cat, unless you have some military training with the husky

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Sam, Ohio is a bit far for me. Very Happy ANd the Indy Homes for Huskies have a distance restriction. I am not within 100 miles of them. I also contacted another Rescue today and got told again I am too far away. See how frustrating this can be???

Megan, that first one you posted is 4 hours away from me. The second one could be a possibility...it will depend if they have a distance issue.

Basically I am at minimum 2 1/2 hours away from all rescues! The only local options are the humane society which I have contacted already.

By-the-way, I would adopt a malamute if the right one comes along as well. The rescue that just told me I was too far away today was for a malamute boy. I did give them tons of information about me and told them if they couldn't find anyone local to think of me and they did respond back and said I would be a good option if they don't find a local family.....
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Hang in there! Smile Apply to as many rescues as you can! I saw the 100 mile limit but wondering if they'll break if you're a good home.

Is there anyone here that knows anyone at any of these rescues and can put in a good word? Smile Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is she depressed?   Is she depressed? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is she depressed?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next