It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him Empty
PostSubject: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Just saw this on Facebook - and I'm really conflicted on how I feel about it.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Did-you-adopt-a-Marines-Husky-in-March-2011/209577369112906#!/pages/Did-you-adopt-a-Marines-Husky-in-March-2011/209577369112906

On the one hand, I'd sleep in my car before I gave up my dogs if I couldn't find an apartment that allowed dogs (husband deployed, couldn't get on base housing, looks like she was pregnant or had kids?). On the other hand, they really seemed to have loved this dog and I dunno if they husband was part of the decision.

They don't seem too husky savvy - they shaved him in the summer and he also wasn't neutered - I know it's hard to find dog-friendly housing. Ironically, our dogs came from this rescue and while they seem irritated that the rescue won't let them contact the new family - I see now why this rescue is very closed- mouthed about the adoptions. I wanted to send the foster that found Chili (and kept him for 2 weeks instead of subjecting him to a shelter) an update through them but they prefer a clean break.

I know there's a lot of military folk on this forum and was wondering what your take on this is?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by hollywoodhuskies on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:16 pm

I can see that happening, and if they were being PCS'd (relocated) to a new base sometimes you have no other options. That's such a sad story and breaks my heart, but I've seen stuff like that happen before. I personally almost got into a sticky situation with my cats when I moved from Pensacola to Enid, OK in '07. The Navy gave me a week from receiving my orders to when I had to report to my new base, and I left Florida knowing I had no place to live once I got there, and didn't know a soul. That was hard, and I hope I never have that kind of experience again. I got to Enid, found a great vet office to board the boys (couldn't keep them in the BOQ), and went to every apartment complex in town. I was finally able to find a place that would allow 3 cats (took a fair amount of pleading), but I was quickly finding myself backed into a corner.

It sucks so much for that family, especially the Marine who thought he'd be coming home to his beloved dog. I know when I did my little stint in the Middle East, I would have been crushed if my cats weren't there when I got home, but my parents were able to keep them for me while I was over there.

Unfortunately we get put in really crappy situations sometimes, and I know way too many people who have been forced to rehome pets due to Military moves. I hope to God that we never get put in a situation like that, but I'd like to think I have enough of a support system to avoid something that drastic. I really hope they are able to find Ty and at least get some updates on him. Semper Fi.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 pm

"I wanted to send the foster that found Chili (and kept him for 2 weeks instead of subjecting him to a shelter) an update through them but they prefer a clean break."

The foster parent wanted a clean break or the rescue did? I foster and I love getting updates on the cats! I usually get a bunch after a year has gone by which is really nice. But I think only one person has actually keep in touch after the first year and that's because she friended me on FB.

I feel bad for that family. They looked like they really loved their dogs. Wonder if they had to rehome the aussie too? I can see the rescue being suspicious that the family would try to get their sibe back, so I can see why they are keeping it hush hush. But I think I'd contact the family who adopted the sibe and see what they would want to do.

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 12:21 am

I don't see what's wrong with the rescue saying "Yes- they love the dog very much and he's doing fabulously." I mean that was a seriously crappy situation.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:16 am

kinda glad they don't have him, one of the captions on a pic on their page is a pic of the Husky shaved- way to go.
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:59 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
kinda glad they don't have him, one of the captions on a pic on their page is a pic of the Husky shaved- way to go.

I think that's a bit harsh. Just because they might have occasionally shaved their husky doesn't mean they didn't love him. I've heard vets AND professional groomers tell people it's okay to shave sibe's, so it's quite possible they were just misinformed. If they aren't able to get their husky back, it should be because it's been adopted by a new family and NOT because they shaved it. An adoption organization can't just release adopter's personal information to the original family because their situation might have changed. That would be like adopting a child and your contact information be given to the biological parents. I feel very bad for them but I don't think they'll be getting this dog back. If I was in their shoes, I would just want to know the sibe was happy and healthy; I would find comfort in that.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for the perspective, Meredith.

Regarding the rescue giving them an update, they actually did. It sounds like the rescue finally cut off contact with them after a few too many emails. If you weren't able to read their story - here's the info that the rescue did give them an update : "We will never give up hope of meeting his new family. We know the family he was adopted in to has other (2) other Siberians (Baily and Joy), and children, and the dad works from home but out of privacy for the family that is all the info we were given (which we understand)."

Sara, it was the rescue that wanted a clean break. The foster was actually a sheriff that found Chili and networked around trying to find his family for two weeks while taking care of him, then released him to rescue after the stray period was over. They rehome hundreds of dogs every year, and are only a few volunteers who all have other jobs (less than 10, I believe from the many times we've been there - a husband and wife run it) - they do a great job and have probably had sticky situations in the past with this type of thing. They really care about the dogs and were super happy to see the kids when we got Frosti rechipped 2 weeks ago (no charge too!).

It sure is a tough situation, and it hit so close to home since our kids are from there.
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

Female Join date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm

I had a very similar situation with Blitz. Another base on the island the MPs picked him up over 3 times running around loose, dirty, and underfed. After the 4th time, once the owners didn't come within 24 hours (which is post policy before the dog is sent to the humane society) the officer on duty called my husband and let him know about Blitz (he knew we were looking for a dog and that I was in love with sibes) ... So we were officially given ownership of the dog. About 6 months AFTER we legally had him (microchipped, all his shots, etc) we saw a poster in the PX for someone's lost husky. The picture looked exactly like Blitz and on it said to either call them or call the MPs... So I called the MPs and asked what we were supposed to do since he had been our dog for 6 months and no one had tried looking for him until now. They told us we had no legal obligation to give him back, and then he added a personal note saying that we had no moral obligation either because of the poor condition Blitz was in every time they picked him up.
I'd feel horrible if my dogs got out and someone took them and I couldn't get them back - but then again one time would be enough for me to get them micro chipped and secure our backyard better. And I also see the new owner's side because the dog has already become part of their family, and it would be equally as painful for them to see the dog get taken away from them. So I just don't know! I'd say let the new owners keep him, don't tear the dog away from another family AGAIN.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Well although I believe there is a solution to every problem, situations can pop up wher eyou have no other choice. Life is not just black or white.
But if you decide to give your animal away you should let it go, otherwise you only make it harder for you and the pet.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:16 pm

i can't imagine being in this situation but my nikki came from a military rehome. the guy had to move to japan and had no way of taking her. but i couldn't imagine giving her up if this person wanted her back. thats a tough situation..
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 pm

If the rescue has told them all is well- what are they after then? I was under the assumption that they just wanted to know how the dog was doing... not that they were after getting it back..

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 pm

^ That's what I thought too.

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 pm

arooroomom wrote:
If the rescue has told them all is well- what are they after then? I was under the assumption that they just wanted to know how the dog was doing... not that they were after getting it back..

I agree - what are they after? They said they've love her back and would pay any money to get her back, but they got an update. Reasonably, they won't be able to see her again - and I don't think it's fair to confuse the dog by having them see her. I think they're secretly hoping that they get to see her and that she'll be so happy that the new owners will feel bad and give the dog back to them.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Weird - the plot thickens.

The wife responded with more info:
"Husky Camp did a great thing by taking Ty in, and appreciate that. If you read our info tab you'd know the story. We have reached out to have OUR information passed along so that IF the new owners would like to contact us they wo...uld. Husky Camp has not returned 2 of our 3 emails, and the one they returned was just a copy and paste of an old email. Put yourself in our shoes. When Ty was surrendered we were told they would keep in touch, which hasn't happened. we volunteer @ the shelters down here (own our own grooming business and groom shelter animals for free), and I currently have 2 rescues. EVERY person I have EVER met that has rescues has said that given the chance they would love to talk to previous owner, and every rescue I have talked to has stated they would 100% pass along contact info.. Except now, HC.. Why is that? We aren't asking to invade these peoples lives or take their dog, we are just wanting our info passed along and give THEM the chance to contact us if they wish. That's not too much to ask. There is really no reason our info shouldn't have been passed along. As for the users on our page, I own a support site for Military Wives (have owned two for a total of over 10K women) and they all know our story, and know how heartbreaking this has been for us. Some of the comments are from my support site where they know the entire story. No one (including myself) has anything bad to say about Husky Camp or is even trying to paint them in a bad light. We would just like our story to get out there. "
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Yeah I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:56 am

We send Sierra updates to the ladies we got her from, they love seeing how happy she is now, they had recused her and were trying to fine sierra a foreverhome.
That's sad about the miss information about Ty

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Husky Camp promised they'd keep in touch, but didn't promise they'd pass on the info to the new owners. They did get an update on the dogs and know they're in a good home and that the family has 2 other huskies and that the dad works from home. Sounds great to me! Other owners don't update the rescue as much as we do, so they can only pass on what they know... The rescue loves hearing updates and seeing pics of our kids! They were also very explicit when we adopted Chili that this was NOT an open adoption and that we wouldn't be able to send updates to the previous foster, and this was half a year prior to the above surrender. I'm sure the policy hasn't changed.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't see anything wrong with the family trying to get their information passed along to the current owners and I don't see why the rescue wouldn't abide by their request.

HOWEVER, that being said, I also don't see why the previous owners need to be making such a big stink about it and make the situation so public. What are they trying to prove? They know he is safe and they know he has a good home. They just seem to be needlessly exacerbating the issue.

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:06 pm

I really don't think I would want to know that the previous owners of my dog were looking for him. I think it would scare me. If they knew my name, they could find me and my dog and I'd be worried he would get stolen. Maybe that's what husky camp is thinking as far as not passing on the information. With as pesky as these folks are being to HC, I could only imagine how pesky these people would be to the new owners if they did find out who they were. Maybe HC DID pass on the information and like me, the new owners said, uh, no thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Autumn wrote:
I really don't think I would want to know that the previous owners of my dog were looking for him. I think it would scare me. If they knew my name, they could find me and my dog and I'd be worried he would get stolen. Maybe that's what husky camp is thinking as far as not passing on the information. With as pesky as these folks are being to HC, I could only imagine how pesky these people would be to the new owners if they did find out who they were. Maybe HC DID pass on the information and like me, the new owners said, uh, no thanks!
I was thinking this too, honestly. Which is why I question the motives of the original family in making this so public. Who are they to assume that the new family wants to be contacted? There's also no way for the new family to reach out and say "We don't want to be in touch with you," WITHOUT making them vulnerable to the old family.

Again, I see nothing wrong with the motives on either side of the story. What makes me concerned are the lengths these people have gone and are willing to go in finding this dog and the new family.

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah I guess the amount of effort they're putting into making this public is a little odd.

think it's a shitty decision to have to rehome a dog (regardless of circumstance) but at the end of the day- that's what was done. And you have to live with that.

Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Autumn wrote:

I agree, I would not want to know. Something kind of similar happened to us with our first husky. We knew her original owner, but were not concerned initially because he had moved to China. However, we knew he would eventually move back here, and we were worried that he would want her back. Even though she was legally ours now, as we has adopted her from the humane society, I didn't want to have this awkward conversation with him. She passed away before he came back, so we didn't have to deal with it. Having been in that situation, I would not want the rescue to tell me the previous owners were interested to know about their dog. Even if they swore they didnt want the dog back I'd still be nervous.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I would hate to be in that family's shoes. Sad I don't think I could even think about giving any of my dogs away.

I'm the kind of person who is happy to keep in touch with the previous owners of my dogs (if possible) but if I knew that a previous owner of one of my dogs was going to such lengths to "find" me? I'd be a little freaked out. I think by going so public this girl has ruined her chances of ever meeting the family with the dog.
I was in a similar situation a while ago and I can tell you, it's not any easier being on the other end. It hurt me to think of what the person was going through and I kept thinking 'What if it was me going through this?". Not fun. That's why getting AND giving up a dog should never be a rash decision.
Once you give up ownership of a dog, they are gone and it's best (for yourself) to move on. There may be a chance that the new owners or the rescue or whatever might want to keep in touch but I don't think it's likely.
Unless of course I end up with the dog. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:02 pm

I agree with all of you, it's not that they want to find the dog - it's that they're being so persistent. A little scary - I'd be wary if I were HC too, and knowing them they probably did pass on the info and the owner declined contact. They seriously love those dogs. Plus, all dogs are chipped back to the rescue and if a dog got out or got into a shelter - they would know. Their motto is that they rescued a dog for life, and if anything happens - they want it back. They work really hard to make sure all dogs are in happy homes and stay happy. They drive out from the mountains every weekend in an old school bus into the LA area to promote the dogs.

Maybe I'm a little judgemental because it hurts my heart to rehome so many dogs given up because the owners didn't put enough effort into keeping their dogs. Maybe it's wrong in this account. It's totally shitty to have to give up a dog - but if you work in rescue and knew you're in the military and have a chance of being reassigned - I'd assume you'd make alternate arrangements. Husky Haven in North LA boards for $12 a day and I'm SURE would discount it for crazy circumstances like this. Every shelter has animal friendly landlord listings - I know, because I'm at a shelter at least once a week doing evaluations on dogs. Move on - make sure it doesn't happen again. We keep a dog bank account for emergencies - just in case anything happens that we can't plan for. And just for anyone that finds themselves in terrible circumstances - all Motel 6s are dog friendly.
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 am

There is also a program that was started about..6 months ago. It probably wouldn't cover a PCS but it is called D.OD. Dogs on deployment. It's a FANTASTIC program where they match families with deploying military members. These families will take care of your pets for you during a deployment, usually for free unless there is a payment agreement, which is then added into the contract. I just think in most (not all) cases there are options available and giving away your animal should be a last resort. I feel that she gave the dog up, so she should be prepared to not see it again and if the new owners refuse contact...let it go. There is something wrong with the way she is making SUCH a big deal out of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him   Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him Empty

Back to top Go down

Family gave up husky to rescue and is trying to find him

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1