It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

2 year old female that hates being alone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
g3bates
Newborn
Newborn
g3bates

2 year old female that hates being alone Empty
PostSubject: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:17 am

New to the forum.

I recently adopted a 2 year old female from a Siberian rescue. She is so great all the time. Around children, people, other dogs. I have very little problem with her temperment, but when ever I leave, give her 5 seconds and she starts scratching the door, trying to open the handle to the door, howling, etc. Luckily, I work from home mostly, but she can''t be at my side all of the time. I went into my office for about 5 hours the other day and she pooped, peed, chewed slippers, and just generally just tore everything up. She never has accidents inside, and never shows aggressive behavior until I leave.

I got her a crate. After I finally got her in it (she kept not listening and just going limp when I tried to put her in it), I left for 10 minutes, and came back to her digging at the bottom, she knocked over her food and water bowls, and was also crying. I have only had her for a week. She has been in 3 different places in the last month after being abandoned by her owner. I know Siberians are a pack dog and dislike being alone, but could her behavior also be because she thinks she'll never see me again when I leave? She gets plenty of exercise (runs and walks 4 miles/day with me). What is a solution or do I just need to wait it out until she figures out that I will come back when I leave? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Note: She also got spayed a little over a week ago. 2 years old is a bit of a late spay.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:49 am

Welcome to the forum!

Your girl needs to associate the crate with a positive experience, and if at 2 years old she has never been in a crate before (or if she had negative experiences with crates in the past), you will need to establish a positive association with the crate. Check out this thread:

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t918-crate-training?highlight=crate+training

I think it's great that you work from home, and I completely understand that sometimes you need the peace and quiet. My fiance was working from home when we first got our girl, and as a very small puppy she required so much supervision that she had to be crated quite a bit during the day so he could work.

Good luck with your girl, and I hope we can help you with all the questions that you might have. Thanks for rescuing as well Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

2 year old female that hates being alone 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:41 am

Welcome!
Meredith gave you a great link to start with. Don't give up on her, this is something that can be worked on, how long have you had her? It will take at least a month or more for her to settle in and start feeling at home. Jumping from so many home can be hard on a dog, we had that issue with our girl and it took a few months for her. Were her to help you out Smile

Newborn
Newborn
g3bates

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I have had her for a week. I work from home 3 day a week, but I have to go into my office 2 days/week for 6-8 hours. I love her and she is great. She must've had a bad crate experience. She even avoids the area of my place that the crate is in. She was found in a park, turned into the animal shelter, transferred to a rescue for a day but they had no space so she was transferred to another rescue, and also spayed and came home with me in a matter of 2 weeks.

It is bad timing for me. I have to go on a work trip tomorrow and won't be back for a couple days. I have a roommate who will be taking care of her so I really just don't wanna her to give him hell to clean up. It is hard enough for me to get her in there, so I can imagine that he won't have an easier time. Her has a regular schedule, having to go to work for 8-10 hours during the day.

Alone time isn't my concern. She is great whenever she is with me, but unfortunately I can't take her everywhere...
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Congrats and thank you for rescuing! I feel your pain, because our girl has EXTREME separation anxiety. She's been rehomed twice for escaping/escape attempts at previous homes. She's missing toes on her back paws (possibly from an escape attempt) and was all scraped up from trying to get over chain link fences at the rescue. So sad.

She tried to follow me over our 6 ft gate (with coyote rollers) 15 min after we got home. Then she actually did get out of a secure harness/tie down while I was moving my car into the driveway and hubby was in the driveway. She will need some time to know that this is her new home. Is there a doggie day care that she can go to in the next month or so until she realizes you're her forever home? Our girl isn't specifically freaked out by being alone, but being without any humans. Even being with her boy husky companion isn't enough.

We're also crate training her slowly (my dad got sick and passed a month after we got her - so I was out of town slowing all of our progress) - and she's definitely a lot better! Hang in there! She loves a frozen kong - that distracts her in the crate for about an hour and a half.

Bottom line : you're not alone and while extreme separation anxiety is not common, you have help and resources! I'm sure my fellow husky lovers here will have lots of other good ideas! Smile
Back to top Go down
NinjaZXR
Newborn
Newborn
NinjaZXR

Male Join date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 3:16 am

My husky went through the same thing. it took her a long time to realize that i would come back home. she would tear the door apart just to get to me. lol at the time she was 2 years old but she has calmed down. she is now 3. she just needs to know that you will return. now we can keep her out of her kennel. once it gets dark outside. she knows its time for me to get off work and sits by the door. i think what helped was having a second dog around and also having my parents watch her. she still howls and whines when i leave but at least shes not destroying the house.

Try giving her a bone to chew on. something to get her mind off of you at least for a short time. over time my guess would be that she will realize that when you put her in the kennel, it means that your leaving but will be back. hang in there. hope i could help
Back to top Go down
g3bates
Newborn
Newborn
g3bates

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 pm

She broke out of her cage in like 15 minutes yesterday. Opened the top latch and bent the side a bit. I put 2 pad locks on it today. Waiting for the roommate to report. I am just worried she is gonna hurt herself trying to escape. She was clawing and biting pretty relentlessly.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Hmmm....I'd be worried too. Have you tried tiring her out with a walk prior to leaving? If she won't settle down after that - you may want to try rescue remedy or a thundershirt for anxiety. We're trying the rescue remedy for our little drama queen - I'll keep you posted on how it works! The doggie daycare also recommended alcohol free valerian root drops.
Back to top Go down
g3bates
Newborn
Newborn
g3bates

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 am

2 pad locks and she still escaped! Definitely returning the crate. Luckily she is not being very destructive. She really just scratches the door (metal door) and poops. Usually on the wood floor, and of course howls and whines. My roommate says he has no clue how she got out because there are no signs of the crate being broken or anything. I will try those suggestions though.
Back to top Go down
uid0
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Hmmm....I'd be worried too. Have you tried tiring her out with a walk prior to leaving? If she won't settle down after that - you may want to try rescue remedy or a thundershirt for anxiety. We're trying the rescue remedy for our little drama queen - I'll keep you posted on how it works! The doggie daycare also recommended alcohol free valerian root drops.

Did the "rescue remedy" work for you?
Back to top Go down
g3bates
Newborn
Newborn
g3bates

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:14 am

I didn't try it. I am trying to not use substances. I got a thundershirt. She definitely has less anxiety, but still scratches the door and whines (to a lesser extent with it on) . Yesterday was the first time she didn't have an accident while alone and I also didn't get a noise complaint. I also got a sonic egg. If she whines or howls loud enough, it emits an ultra sonic pitch that seems to stop her in her tracks. Getting a door guard to protect door from scratching soon. All of that plus long walk/run before I leave seems like it will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
uid0
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 4:41 pm

I am going to try out the thundershirt tonight; and I ordered the Anxiety Wrap online; thanks for the suggestion, I hope these help, my neighbors are not pleased with my husky barking and crying when I leave for work at 6 AM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 year old female that hates being alone   2 year old female that hates being alone Empty

Back to top Go down

2 year old female that hates being alone

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1