It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I want to adopt a husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chickfire13
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-11-30

I want to adopt a husky Empty
PostSubject: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi there,

My name is Chickie. I found an adorable red and white husky girl at the local animal shelter. I would love to adopt her because I want to get a second dog to keep my Bandogge (American) Mastiff company. The husky is very sweet has the usual energy you expect with a husky, but was very submissive, rolled right over and let me pet her belly and everything. My husband says no huskies because they don't get along with other dogs because they all want to be the alpha dog, and that they are aggressive with other dogs. Does anyone have any input on this subject?

Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Siberian Huskies are generally very dog and people friendly, the only time at which there is question is with smaller prey like animals (cats, birds, ferrets, bunnies ect.)

Regardless- I think most animal shelters require a meeting of the 2 dogs to be sure things seem to be alright between them or they offer to take the animal back if things don't work out.

Huskies have moderate to high energy and really enjoy both human and canine company. This isn't a breed which enjoys to sit at home all day and be walked for a quick round the block when you get home. They need metal and physical stimulation or they will find other means (which are usually not appreciated by humans) to entertain themselves. They shed a lot, too.

I'd look around the forum and peek in on some of the topics to see if this is a breed you want to add to the family Smile But generally, dog aggression isn't a major "issue" with Siberians.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
chickfire13
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 pm

I have been a lurker on this forum for awhile now, I have read many posts about the breed. The other dog of the house is about a 100lb mastiff. I used to have a Labrador so am used to a fair bit of shedding (my family's dog who comes to visit often). The mastiff loves to run with me and I imagine the husky would do well with that as well for physical stimulation. There are usually only 2-3 days a week when one of the two of us are not home (I work 12 hour shifts). I am not to worried about the husky being aggressive with the mastiff but my husband is. The shelter doesn't let you bring your dog to meet the new one but does have a 30 day return policy if it doesn't work out.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Don't worry about the Husky being aggressive the Mastiff would and could thoroughly kick his assets.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 am

I have owned 2 huskies and neither of them showed any aggression toward other dogs. Sabaka is only one year old, so I guess something like that could still develop. Sandy lived 17 years and was around many different dog sizes and personalities always getting along great with all of them.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:03 am

I hear the aggressive thing a lot from uninformed people. I'm sure it's because of their wolfy look. It's like every other breed - it depends on the dog. And I personally have never met, seen or heard of an aggressive husky.

Honestly, if your husband isn't on board maybe it's better that you pass on this dog - there's a few members on here having issues with their significant others and their husky and it's just heartbreaking to hear. The whole family needs to wholeheartedly agree on a dog and agree on house rules in order to be fair to a dog.
Back to top Go down
chickfire13
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Well guess it wasn't meant to be. The dog appears to have been adopted already. I hope she is going to a good home. Thanks so much for all your input. I did at least mention what you guys had said which seems to have at least gotten my husband thinking. I am hoping to take him to the dog park nearby so he can meet some of the huskies there and get a better idea about the breed.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Sorry it didn't work out with this one.

I have not met an aggressive husky. I have met many people who misunderstand or misinterpret husky play. Huskies play hard. They can play very rough and become very vocal during play which is misintepretted as aggression. Check out the videos on this forum of husky play. Mine growls during play and some take it the wrong way.

For what it's worth, my husky LOVES big dogs. The bigger the better. He espeically loves mastiffs and most mastiff owners love Frankie as he licks their slobber clean Razz But he does well with big sturdy dogs since he can play real rough with them and they don't go down as easy.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 7:21 pm

chickfire13 wrote:
Well guess it wasn't meant to be. The dog appears to have been adopted already. I hope she is going to a good home. Thanks so much for all your input. I did at least mention what you guys had said which seems to have at least gotten my husband thinking. I am hoping to take him to the dog park nearby so he can meet some of the huskies there and get a better idea about the breed.

I saw that you're in Fullerton - not too far from us. There's a husky meet up every sunday around 2:30 at the El Segundo Dog park near LAX. He can get to know some there!

As well, when you are ready and your husband is 100% on board with a husky - bring your other dog to an adoption event from Husky camp. They are a fantastic rescue and do great matchmaking with dogs!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:
I have not met an aggressive husky. I have met many people who misunderstand or misinterpret husky play. Huskies play hard. They can play very rough and become very vocal during play which is misintepretted as aggression. Check out the videos on this forum of husky play. Mine growls during play and some take it the wrong way.

This is so true! My friend was over when Willow and Dakota started playing and her words were "Oh My!" I had to reassure her they were actually playing.
Back to top Go down
chickfire13
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 2:39 am

Thanks for all the input. I will be keeping my eyes open for opportunities to introduce my husband to the breed.

Here is Kaikoura our American Mastiff
I want to adopt a husky Kaibeach

My other baby Dakota (who I didn't get to move with me when I moved out)
I want to adopt a husky AJChester20061069
Back to top Go down
jcrazy99
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 7:38 pm

My wife and I are also looking for a husky to adopt, two actually. And I been doing the research, you should have no problem with your other dog unless your current dog doesn't like the new situation...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want to adopt a husky   I want to adopt a husky Empty

Back to top Go down

I want to adopt a husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1