It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fourtsixand2
Newborn
Newborn
fourtsixand2

Female Join date : 2011-12-10

food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? Empty
PostSubject: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:12 am

Besides grooming, and all that, what specific foods do you use to reduce Husky shedding?
I now have two Huskies in the home and am overwhelmed with the shedding ...
Looking for specific brands and types - I know it's got to be a higher quality food, just looking for the right one before I spend a ton of money on it.

Any other supplements you give them in addition to the food to cut shedding down?
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 7:39 am

What kind of food are you feeding now? I noticed a significant difference in Jasmine's shedding when i switched from Purina to a higher quality food. I now feed Taste of the Wild, but it's only one of many quality foods out there. If you are feeding a lower quality food and switch to a grain-free formula I have no doubt that you will notice a difference in shedding within a month.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 7:41 am

I also give her fish oil tablets. I don't know how much of a difference it makes but i still give them to her. And brush her every day...even if only for 5 minutes. It makes a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 am

kclee pretty much said exactly what I would have, both post were important.
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 am

Right now we have Dante on Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy at 5 months old.He barely sheds at all! We only brush him once every week/two weeks and his coat is great, very shiny and healthy. Pretty much any higher quality food should improve the shedding but I would certainly recommend going grain free, and high protein. I would suggest checking out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com and there is also a thread on the feeding forum in regards to what we are all feeding our huskies.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 am

Higher quality meats, less filler, consistent brushing, and supplementation will aid shedding but at the end of the day... they're Huskies and they're going to shed. Wink

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:23 pm

We feed ToTW here, brush for a few minutes every day, and I'd say he barely sheds, but I still find hair around the house. There's nothing you can do to stop shedding. Just appreciate the down-times between the coat blows....
Back to top Go down
fourtsixand2
Newborn
Newborn
fourtsixand2

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm using Fit & Trim but am immediately stopping to put them on the grain free food! I'll need one with higher protein for the 'puppy' and a different one for my 8 year old Smile
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 am

I would suggest mixing at first to avoid problems.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 am

Great tips... does the fish oil really help? I may need to invest in that with two huskies in the house now... the doggie tumbleweeds may overwhelm us all! lol
Back to top Go down
Togo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Keimo&Izzi wrote:
Great tips... does the fish oil really help? I may need to invest in that with two huskies in the house now... the doggie tumbleweeds may overwhelm us all! lol

That's really something you should ask your vet and animal nutritionist. Giving supplements can also cause problems so keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
fourtsixand2
Newborn
Newborn
fourtsixand2

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 9:13 pm

kclee wrote:
I would suggest mixing at first to avoid problems.

Thanks, I did!
I got the Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon and mixed with some of the remaining food I had. I hear I have to give it a couple of weeks before I see a difference.
I'm anxious to see if it works! Smile

If nothing else, Audrey and Achilles loved the food and it smells awesome...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?   food - What specific food do you use for reducing shedding? Empty

Back to top Go down

What specific food do you use for reducing shedding?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1