It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Odd behavior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Female Join date : 2011-10-21

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:24 pm

We have had Kira for about 3 months now. She is about 2 years old and has not been spayed. She just finished being in heat about a month ago. She has started some odd behavior in the last several days. She normally sleeps in her bed in the living room but she sometimes sleeps by the door or various other places. She recently decided she loves to sleep in our walkin closet. I wasn't too crazy about that mostly because of the hair and all the clothes so we shut our bedroom door. Now she paces the floor stopping at our door whining and would not relax and even started panting like she was anxious. When she would go into the closet, she would sleep in there for a long time and would only come out occasionally. Now she has found a new spot under our bed that she wants to stay all of the time which is very odd since she is always so social. What has caused this weird change in behavior? could she be depressed since everybody went back to school and work after the holidays are over?
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 pm

I've heard Huskies can go through those periods, but I've got two puppies, so I'm no expert on adult behavior (other than the Sibes I've been around, not owned.)

However, I'm going to assume most here would agree you should really have her spayed.
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Yep, gonna have her spayed within the next month. anybody else experience this behaviour with their dogs? Her energy level seems fine and I take her on bike rides several time a week. She just seems extremely anxious about staying and sleeping under the bed or in the closet. I told my wife that she is acting like she is getting ready to have puppies or something but that is not the case.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Kira wrote:
I told my wife that she is acting like she is getting ready to have puppies or something but that is not the case.

glad you said it and not me....

are you SURE she had no contact with a male while in heat?
i hope you make that spay appointment as soon as you can. I don't know what else to make of her behavior. do you have a crate for her? maybe you could set the crate up to act as a den and make that her place to sleep?

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:02 pm

There is something called a "phantom pregnancy". I don't have much experience with it, but I do know that it happens with spayed or unspayed bitches. I would look it up and see if it matches what you're dealing with. I have never had the problem myself, but know of others who have.

Odd behavior Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

jbealer wrote:
Kira wrote:
I told my wife that she is acting like she is getting ready to have puppies or something but that is not the case.

glad you said it and not me....

are you SURE she had no contact with a male while in heat?
i hope you make that spay appointment as soon as you can. I don't know what else to make of her behavior. do you have a crate for her? maybe you could set the crate up to act as a den and make that her place to sleep?
Nope, never been out of our house or yard without us around unless a coyote jumped the fence
Back to top Go down
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Koda wrote:
There is something called a "phantom pregnancy". I don't have much experience with it, but I do know that it happens with spayed or unspayed bitches. I would look it up and see if it matches what you're dealing with. I have never had the problem myself, but know of others who have.
Yes, I remember the vet mentioning something like that when I had her there for shots, I'll have to look that one up, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Kira wrote:
Koda wrote:
Yes, I remember the vet mentioning something like that when I had her there for shots, I'll have to look that one up, thanks!

Well I think you were right about the phantom pregnancy but she has also stopped eating her regular food but comes running for other stuff so we have cut her off from anything but dog food. How long do false or phantom pregnancies last; she is headed into week 2?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm

My dads female pit mix had this before we had her spayed. She pretty much went through a whole "pregnancy" with enlarged nipples and everything.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Unfortunately, I really don't know much about it, other than what I've mentioned. The best person to ask is your vet, though. However, food rebellion is pretty common with this breed. It may be completely unrelated or it may not.

Odd behavior Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Odd behavior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd behavior   Odd behavior Empty

Back to top Go down

Odd behavior

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1