It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Human and Dog Reunion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Human and Dog Reunion Empty
PostSubject: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:59 pm

I just arrived home from two weeks in France, visiting my son who's going to school there for this year.
Bodhi was in a boarding kennel, AKA "the Slammer" while we were gone.
He's been in lockdown once before, but only for five days. And when he came out that time, he was glad to see me, but not crazy.

This time, he was hysterical when he saw my wife and me, crying, jumping, licking our faces. And doing it for a long time.
It made me feel mucho guilty, that his stay was about a week too long. This is an excellent kennel too, one that gives lots of attention to the dogs. I don't think I''ll ever leave him for that long again. I've had a house sitter with my previous huskies, but I don't trust Bodhi. He escaped from his kennel two days before we left and I still haven't gotten it fixed. After our run this morning, I had the feeling that he has forgiven me "...but don't ever do that again, Dad!"

Some observations about French dog culture. The French take their dogs everywhere with them- restaurants, groceries, pharmacies, cafes. Most of the French dogs are small and unaggressive. I did not see any macho dog behavior. I did not see any pit bulls in France. I did see some German Shepherds, and a beautiful red Norwegian Elkhound. But I didn't see any huskies, save a weird looking miniature husky. I mean really small, like an American Eskimo, but husky looking. The French do not pick up their dog's poop- it's everywhere on the streets. And they consider it to be good luck if you step in it!

Last edited by jalepeno on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:05 pm

wow what a difference in culture with the dogs.

the wedding was the longest we have been gone form our dogs and it was just a few months after we got them, i was going crazy not knowing how things were going.

im glad Bodhi forgave you for leaving him, at least you know he was left in good hands, coming home from a trip and getting doggie love is the best feeling in the world but it also makes me feel bad for leaving them, i always wonder if they know how long it really was, could it just seem like a few days to them or is it like weeks/months to them....

Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Female Join date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:30 pm

jbealer wrote:
wow what a difference in culture with the dogs.

the wedding was the longest we have been gone form our dogs and it was just a few months after we got them, i was going crazy not knowing how things were going.

im glad Bodhi forgave you for leaving him, at least you know he was left in good hands, coming home from a trip and getting doggie love is the best feeling in the world but it also makes me feel bad for leaving them, i always wonder if they know how long it really was, could it just seem like a few days to them or is it like weeks/months to them....

If you use dog years as the calculator, you were actually gone for 3 and 1/2 months in his mind. Just thought I'd make you feel worse Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Paris is well known for its problem with 'crottes de chien'. Yeuch. But I love the way they take their dogs everywhere.

Glad you got such an ecstatic welcome home from Bodhi!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:51 pm

I wish it was more acceptable to take your dogs places here in the US. I much prefer stepping in dog poo to having my expensive dinner ruined by screaming kids. Really I guess whether it's dogs or kids it's really the parents fault for their unwanted behavior.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 5:10 pm

jalepeno wrote:

But i didn't see any huskies, save a weird looking miniature husky. I mean really small, like an American Eskimo, but husky looking. The French do not pick up their dog's poop- it's everywhere on the streets. And they consider it to be good luck if you step in it!

LOL, I think what you saw was an Alaskan Klee-Kai.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskankleekai.htm

Eeeewwww to the poop, but not many Americans in my town clean up their dogs' poo either. LOL

Wish I could take my dogs more places!

Awesome reunion for you two! That must of been a seriously long two weeks for your dog. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Maybe it was a Klee-Kai, but it was only about 8 inches high.
Really short legs.
The dogs on that website look bigger and more proportional.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Oh man the last thing I wanted to read but of course I did. We leave for Hawaii in 2 weeks and I just dread the thought of leaving Adobo & Biko in prison. We've had Adobo 4+ yrs & Biko 1+ and never left them behind at a boarding kennel. The young girl we use to have is away at college now so we had no choice. I feel BAD Bad bad.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Oh man the last thing I wanted to read but of course I did. We leave for Hawaii in 2 weeks and I just dread the thought of leaving Adobo & Biko in prison. We've had Adobo 4+ yrs & Biko 1+ and never left them behind at a boarding kennel. The young girl we use to have is away at college now so we had no choice. I feel BAD Bad bad.

Len, where at in Hawaii? I'm going next February with the extended family. I will be boarding Willow and Piper at a great day care near the airport. I worry that they will love it so much they won't want to come home with me when I go pick them up! Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 pm

26nikita wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

Len, where at in Hawaii? I'm going next February with the extended family. I will be boarding Willow and Piper at a great day care near the airport. I worry that they will love it so much they won't want to come home with me when I go pick them up! Smile

Maui, on the west side Kaanapali, though I'm sure Beth and the sis-in-laws will have us cover the whole island before we leave. I know one day is booked for Hana Highway trip.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:11 pm

We haven't chosen and island yet so I would love to hear all about your vacation when you get back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Human and Dog Reunion   Human and Dog Reunion Empty

Back to top Go down

Human and Dog Reunion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1