It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Piddling on the carpet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

Male Join date : 2011-07-22

Piddling on the carpet Empty
PostSubject: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:51 am

Skye has taken to piddling on the carpet overnight. She used to come and nudge me awake if she needed to go outside, but I seem to come downstairs to a damp patch every morning. This seems to have coincided with my wife coming out of hospital after a brief stay. Any advice would be appreciated, as I am fed up with squelching as I walk around the frontroom.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:17 am

i don't know if this will help but my pup used to run to the dining room to go toilet if we didn't take him out - he would always go on the carpet so we just don't let him in there anymore and he doesn't pee inside as there is no carpet anywhere else! during the nights he is in his crate anyway so i just take him out when I'm up and he will just pee for a good while, i have no idea how he holds it all night - he used to wake me up to go out every couple of hours not too long ago!
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:50 am

Just curious... is she very attached to your wife? Mine used to do it out of spite when my ex and I first separated. It could be that she was rebelling because she missed your wife. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 am

How have you cleaned the spot on the carpet? If you haven't used an enzyme cleaner, no matter what you have done, the carpet still smells like her own pee to her. One accident can turn into 50 if she thinks it's okay to pee in that spot or on that carpet.

Nature's Miracle is a very popular enzyme cleaner that's found in almost all pet stores. Spray it on the spot and let it soak for a while, then wipe it clean. See if that helps before trying other solutions. My guess is she doesn't know it's bad anymore.

Piddling on the carpet Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Koda wrote:
How have you cleaned the spot on the carpet? If you haven't used an enzyme cleaner, no matter what you have done, the carpet still smells like her own pee to her. One accident can turn into 50 if she thinks it's okay to pee in that spot or on that carpet.

Nature's Miracle is a very popular enzyme cleaner that's found in almost all pet stores. Spray it on the spot and let it soak for a while, then wipe it clean. See if that helps before trying other solutions. My guess is she doesn't know it's bad anymore.

I've just checked the product that we've been using and it doesn't mention enzymes anywhere, so I think a trip to Pets at Home is in order.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Time for some habit reinforcement before hitting the sheets at night make one last trip outside. You'll have a good chance of her doing her business. Plus what Tori said use the Natures Miracle, on the spot because if she can smell it (you won't) she'll think its okay to go there.
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Keimo&Izzi wrote:
Just curious... is she very attached to your wife? Mine used to do it out of spite when my ex and I first separated. It could be that she was rebelling because she missed your wife. Just a thought.

She definitely missed Julie while she was in hospital, and I was fully prepared for these little accidents while she was in. But this has started since she came home.
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Time for some habit reinforcement before hitting the sheets at night make one last trip outside. You'll have a good chance of her doing her business. Plus what Tori said use the Natures Miracle, on the spot because if she can smell it (you won't) she'll think its okay to go there.

We usually send her into the back garden for the last 20mins before we go to bed, and last night she did it despite me letting her out during the night.
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Gary29 wrote:
Keimo&Izzi wrote:

She definitely missed Julie while she was in hospital, and I was fully prepared for these little accidents while she was in. But this has started since she came home.

Hmmm.... maybe she liked having your undivided attention. ???
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 2:15 pm

I honestly think it has little to do with your wife being gone or coming home. It might have stressed her out and caused a relapse, but there's no way to really tell and it's going to have very little affect on how to remedy the situation

Start with the basics. Clean the carpet thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner. You might want to do the whole carpet or get more than one bottle and do it twice just to be safe because like Len said, you won't smell it but she still can.

Also, keep reinforcing to her that outside is the place to go. Praise her like mad when she goes outside.

See if doing both those things have an effect, but at the end of the day, the only thing that truly solves potty training issues is eradicating the smell and starting over again at Step 1. Taking her out as often as necessary to avoid accidents. It would suck, but it's really the only way. Good luck!

Piddling on the carpet Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 am

Right. I've blitzed the carpet with an enzyme stain and odour remover, and it's back to toilet training basics. Hopefully we'll stop any further accidents.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:26 pm

Might want to make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection. Kitty seemed to forget her potty training a while back, and she ended up having a bladder infection. If you don't see improvement in a week or so I would take a urine sample to the vet just to rule that out.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
Might want to make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection. Kitty seemed to forget her potty training a while back, and she ended up having a bladder infection. If you don't see improvement in a week or so I would take a urine sample to the vet just to rule that out.

Good luck getting her to pee in the cup.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Piddling on the carpet   Piddling on the carpet Empty

Back to top Go down

Piddling on the carpet

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1