It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Petsmart Classes-??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

Petsmart Classes-?? Empty
PostSubject: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Has anyone gone to or done the Petsmart puppy and training classes? Just wondering how good they were?

Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I did it for my GSD and it turned out fine. She did the best she could considering my GSD barked every week the whole time we were there. I would use them again. But I also think it depends on the trainer you end up with.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:49 pm

The biggest variable is the trainer. At our local petsmart there are two trainers. One is always there, always helpful, makes suggestions, etc almost every time we're there. The other, we've never seen.

We've been through the puppy training class (with the trainer that is always there) and it helped a good bit. The puppy class was more about getting to know the dog, how to train the dog, how to get the dog past certain behaviors, and generally helping you find the best way to get your dog to respond to your training. While we did reinforce our training in the classes, the majority of learning and repetition of the skills was done outside of the class.

Also, we have signed the dogs up for the intermediate class, starting this sunday.

Last edited by Domingo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Embry went through basic obedience and intermediate obedience at Petsmart. I thought it was alright, but honestly if I would've known about the other dog classes around town, I would've definitely picked one of those instead of Petsmart.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

It's going to depend on the trainer in your area. Look for a trainer with at lest a years experience, and that has taken some sort of formal training in addition from graduating from the petsmart training school that new trainers attend. Memberships in some professional dog training organization is something else to look for because members have to do continuing education. Petsmart trainers are not required to take continuing education classes once they are certified by petsmart. Unfortunately, it is really easy to get certified as a trainer by petsmart or petco. I use to do training independently and a local pet store before I moved. I don't have time to take care if my own little business right now so I got a job at petco as a trainer. I didn't have to go through their curriculum because of my experience, but did take a look at it and its nothing fancy. They make you read a binder of info, then you take an open note test and if you pass, you're a trainer. New trainers teach one class with an experienced trainer then they are on their own. I know someone who works at petsmart and they run their program the exact same way. The other trainer at the store I work at is awful. His clients are often upset that they wasted money on his classes. But there are many wonderful trainers working at petsmart and petco, you just have to do your homework and learn about the trainer and their experience.
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
They make you read a binder of info, then you take an open note test and if you pass, you're a trainer. New trainers teach one class with an experienced trainer then they are on their own. I know someone who works at petsmart and they run their program the exact same way.

This is incorrect, at least about PetSmart. You are required to work 80 hours with an Area Pet Trainer (an experienced trainer responsible for training new hires within his/her district). You do some book work but it's minimal. Based on your ability to teach classes, the Area Trainer has the ability to fail a student if they don't make the cut. There are good and bad trainers everywhere, PetSmart is no exception though I've met more good than bad. All classes are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee; you can get a refund if you aren't happy for whatever reason. They also offer free dog orientation classes that allow pet and parent to interact with a trainer and go over basics before committing to a class. This should give you an idea whether or not the trainer is decent.

Oh, and Zak George from Animal Planet's "Super Fetch" came from PetSmart. He worked at a store I lived near and he ended up dating a friend of mine who worked at their grooming salon. He was so successful as a trainer he brought home more money than the District Manager (so think 100k+). Talent from Animal Planet came to see him and ended up by offering him his own show. Pretty nifty if you ask me!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm

toyszruskid wrote:
Lu&Katsmom wrote:
They make you read a binder of info, then you take an open note test and if you pass, you're a trainer. New trainers teach one class with an experienced trainer then they are on their own. I know someone who works at petsmart and they run their program the exact same way.

This is incorrect, at least about PetSmart. You are required to work 80 hours with an Area Pet Trainer (an experienced trainer responsible for training new hires within his/her district). You do some book work but it's minimal. Based on your ability to teach classes, the Area Trainer has the ability to fail a student if they don't make the cut. There are good and bad trainers everywhere, PetSmart is no exception though I've met more good than bad. All classes are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee; you can get a refund if you aren't happy for whatever reason. They also offer free dog orientation classes that allow pet and parent to interact with a trainer and go over basics before committing to a class. This should give you an idea whether or not the trainer is decent.

Oh, and Zak George from Animal Planet's "Super Fetch" came from PetSmart. He worked at a store I lived near and he ended up dating a friend of mine who worked at their grooming salon. He was so successful as a trainer he brought home more money than the District Manager (so think 100k+). Talent from Animal Planet came to see him and ended up by offering him his own show. Pretty nifty if you ask me!

You are correct, the curriculum you listed is what both stores are suppose to follow. The two companies are almost identical because they are constantly competing with one another. However, what actually happens depends on the type of GM and district manager the store has. If a store losses both trainers at the same time, new trainers are trained very quickly, and don't meet with the district trainer the full required time. How do they get away with this? The GM or district managers sign off on everything anyway because without a trainer the store is loosing money! Or if the district doesn't have enough funds to send the district trainer to other stores, they count time that trainer and trainee spend on the phone towards training hours. The over the phone training was occurring at the petsmart near me, and thats what made me go with Petco in this case. Majority of the trainers are great, but higher up managers drag them down. Bottom line, in my opinion, both companies are out to make a profit and will cut corners if needed. But if the store has a great management team then stuff gets done right and great trainers are at those stores. There are probably not many bad stores, but its sad that there are still some out there.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Thank you all for the advice and information! I am going to question the trainers when we get there today!
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Stormy fell in love with the one trainer at Petsmart before I even knew she was a trainer. She is so dedicated and helpful especially with aggressive dogs. Stormy finishes up intermediate this Friday and Sollie will start with her on the 1st.

There is a local trainer hear that is on their own and I hear nothing but awful things about them. So basically it is what everyone says....it depends on the trainer. BTW the other Petsmart in the area had a trainer that told me that you can't ever put a harness on a husky because all they'll do is pull. First off, this isn't my first time at the rodeo and I use the harness for the seatbelt and secondly...that is what they are bred for. Stormy doesn't pull on his harness. Just saying.

My cousin in PA was worried about me going to Petsmart considering she is a trainer (30 plus years) and they only have a somewhat sorry Petco in that area. After seeing how great Stormy behaves (she has doubts that he really is a husky LOL), her worries have vanished.

We <3 Debra.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Agree with everyone, depends on the trainers. 3 petsmart trainers (one is a personal friend) at a local petsmart quit and opened their own very successful dog training academy. They are fantastic. And I've met some whos dog knowledge equates to whatever vague and limited fliers they push. Depends 100%

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Great thoughts, and lots to ponder on.

Does everyone pretty much agree then that the pups should be trained with the owners and the professionals and not just left to us to do it alone?
Back to top Go down
rpataca
Newborn
Newborn
rpataca

Male Join date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Can someone go into more detail about what they teach... I feel like dishing out 150 bucks for 6 classed to be a bit much if all they're going to teach my dog is to sit, heal, bark, etc.

Our dog has been really good about listening and doing what he's told with some exceptions of course. Huskys are very intelligent, not sure about other dogs - never had one outside our 3 month old Husky.

And we're pretty good about dedicating the time to keeping him disciplined, etc. So I guess what I'm trying to say is it really worth the money? My wife and I have talked about it and we want to do it but is there value and is it worth 150+
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Yes, Raz, I was thinking the same thing.

Is it anything I can't do myself??
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

We enjoyed the training more for the socialization, help with small issues for our own training, as well as suggestions of better ways to do our own training.

As for the price, around here it's normally $120, but, the trainer gets discount coupons to hand out to people. That brought the price down to $80 each time. Talk to the trainer, and if you have a good feeling about them, you can bring up the price and ask if they ever go on sale. Your local trainer may not have anything to help, but if they do, it'd be a good time.

I will mention that the coupons are normally only good for that week, and that she doesn't get many, so she's only willing to give them to you if you're going to actually purchase that day. That way, she doesn't waste it on someone who will never come back, and not have one for someone who is ready to buy that day.

Simply talking to the trainer, with your dog there, will give you a lot of insight as to how they act and whether they are good, and whether you mesh. Remember that even the best trainer in the world can't help that much, if you don't have a good feeling about them, and won't trust them. We have seen people who want to argue points with the local trainer and refuse to try things, only to complain later that they didn't get the result they wanted.
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

PetSmart puppy and beginner training teaches the basics: sit, lay down, stay, leave it/take it, come when called, wait, off, drop it, loose leash walking, jumping, etc. They discuss some dog psychology as well. Puppy also touches on potty training. 6 week classes are $109; there are $5, $10 and $20 off coupons that you can sometimes acquire through the PetPerks Card program or from the trainer. They do get very few coupons, so unless you're ready to pay the same day they probably won't offer one.

A benefit to their classes is they are all taught in a group setting with the distractions of a store. Dogs become comfortable performing around strange people and their pets, around loud noises, different smells, etc. Many people train their pets at home and wonder why they do wonderful behind closed doors but are unwilling to coorperate when they are out and about surrounded by different elements of distraction. The biggest plus for me is they get much needed socialization with other dogs and people while in class.

Is it worth it? If you aren't able to do all of the above-mentioned yourself, then yes. If you can, probably not. You'd be paying $109 for socialization; you can get that for free at a dog park.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 pm

I find it helpful to do structured classes once and then have trained the rest of my dogs using those techniques or modifying it to what I like.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Keimo went to classes at Petsmart years ago, and I may wind up taking Bella for the socialization. It is a bit expensive to me, but in my area, there aren't a whole lot of other options. Keimo did great... he will do anything for treats. I'm sure not every trainer is the same, but ours was good.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 12:45 am

We're in advanced right now at our Petsmart, and have had wonderful trainers. Both the trainers at this store are great teachers, and they will take the time to even help you outside of class. Sometimes we take the dogs up just to say hi to "Ms. Sandi", and they go nuts when they hear her name (the other trainer moved to the Orlando area in November).

Gee Nikki, you should just drive up here to the Petsmart in Pace Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Petsmart Classes-?? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cherbear
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 pm

I did petsmart training with my first husky and I don't think it was worth it. I didn't get much out it. I've been training my own now and for the obedience world I go to Salings Obedience which they are awesome and really know there stuff especially when it comes to the obedience/rally/agility trails.

I would recommend searching and looking into other trainers rather than Petsmart I think you will get more out of it.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:57 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
We're in advanced right now at our Petsmart, and have had wonderful trainers. Both the trainers at this store are great teachers, and they will take the time to even help you outside of class. Sometimes we take the dogs up just to say hi to "Ms. Sandi", and they go nuts when they hear her name (the other trainer moved to the Orlando area in November).

Gee Nikki, you should just drive up here to the Petsmart in Pace Razz

lol!

No man's land!!! :o haha, I complain Destin is too far, lol.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Mermaidista wrote:

No man's land!!! :o haha, I complain Destin is too far, lol.

It really is the middle of freakin nowhere up here... Razz

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 11:12 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Mermaidista wrote:

It really is the middle of freakin nowhere up here... Razz

Thats when I am most peaceful with my self. Do they still have that flea market in Navarre? I use to laugh every time I went there to visit a friend in the AF, I would pass by Whiting AF base on the way there. I happen to work for Whiting Door for the past 27+ yrs.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Here4thePics wrote:

Thats when I am most peaceful with my self. Do they still have that flea market in Navarre? I use to laugh every time I went there to visit a friend in the AF, I would pass by Whiting AF base on the way there. I happen to work for Whiting Door for the past 27+ yrs.

I don't know, I actually haven't been to Navarre. It really isn't that far, I just usually go to Gulf Breeze or Pensacola. I'll have to check it out though and see if they still have the flea market. So you know where NAS Whiting Field is, huh? Most people are just like "where?" so I just default to saying Pensacola.

Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:09 pm

we tried petsmart training, was a major fail . other people in the class had dogs that were gettin it and were probly satisfied . but it was a fight gettin layla to petsmart for the training and didnt seem to learn anything. had to get a pro trainer somewhere else. and it was a 360 difference,
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Did you do the classes with Becky in Pace? We had good luck with her, but she moved to Orlando in October. Sandi, the new girl is wonderful. We're testing for CGC with her on Saturday, and she's arranged for a therapy class to be taught there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   Petsmart Classes-?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Petsmart Classes-??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next