It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Petsmart Classes-??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 pm

we did the one in pensacola, dont think the pace one was offering classes at the time, but cant remember for sure. we used mike bowen (good dog k9 training) and was very impressed with the results
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm

We did the beginner classes here in Oklahoma not puppy being Blaze was 9 months old went we got him. I feel it help alot ended up not taking the final test. my daughter took the same class for her aus shephard he did not pass the final test the problem there is that she does not spend enought time working with her dog ( another story too long to put here).
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm

silvertoast wrote:
we did the one in pensacola, dont think the pace one was offering classes at the time, but cant remember for sure. we used mike bowen (good dog k9 training) and was very impressed with the results

When did the Target and Petsmart get built anyway? They weren't here when I was a flight student in '06-'07, but I was THRILLED to find them when we moved back in June.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm really happy someone posted this as a topic because I called Petsmart today looking for info on their puppy classes. This has helped a lot information-wise!
Back to top Go down
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

Female Join date : 2012-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 3:15 am

i am planning on sending Luna to puppy training at petsmart. I shall post my review on here during/after we have gone! Hopefully I will get a trainer that is worth dishing out that amt of money! lol!
Back to top Go down
Snowflake
Newborn
Newborn
Snowflake

PostSubject: consider off leash reliability training   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 pm

If you are going to pay for the training, I recommend going all the way and getting off-leash reliability training. Find someone who has a gentle method with the newer remote collars. (not the shock ones, but the muscle stimulator ones). You will have results faster, easier and you will be able to take your dog anywhere. It is so much fun. Our trainer went through "Sit Means Sit Training". Its so nice to take Snowflake hiking and let her run off leash. When I need her back, I press a button that gives her a gentle tap and she is right back. She achieved so much after just 3 lessons. I had to take 24 lessons at Petsmart with my last dog and she didnt even ever come close to being as responsive as Snowflake is and Snowflake is only 5 months old. Worth every penny. And BTW- it never has to be painful for your dog contrary to what some believe. Just find the right trainer. I have tested all the settings I use on myself. Just a tingling vibrating sensation, but very effective!
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
silvertoast wrote:

When did the Target and Petsmart get built anyway? They weren't here when I was a flight student in '06-'07, but I was THRILLED to find them when we moved back in June.

sometime in 08 i beleive. the whole area use to be a cotton field prior
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm still debating sending them to Petsmart here, or a trainer I found in Navarre, FL.

Might just go ahead and try the puppy classes at Petsmart with someone who comes highly recommended and see how they do first!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:14 pm

silvertoast wrote:

sometime in 08 i beleive. the whole area use to be a cotton field prior

I remember that cotton field. I lived here from Jul 06 - Mar 07 for flight school, and the only things that were up there were the Wal Mart and Ridge Cinema. I was SO thrilled to find the Publix/Petsmart/Target complex when we moved back in June.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 1:35 pm

I've taken Luna to both Beginner and Intermediate classes and we've had fun. Great chance to socialize with other pooches in a good environment. Plus I always end up leaving with a treat/toy in hand after every class. Luna definitely loves that. Our trainer Danielle makes a huge difference, so I've been basing our classes on her availabilities. Going to sign up for the Advanced class in March!
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:27 am

I just had my first PetSmart training class today. Oh god it was something else. There were 3 dogs in total in the class just barking at each other, crying and yipping. I had a hard time getting my girl to pay attention to me when I was trying to give her a command because she would constantly look at the other dogs. It was only the first day so I hope it gets better. The trainer actually seems really good though. He brought is own beautiful dog(which happened to be a Husky) and I was amazed and how good he had that dog trained. He even mentioned that he goes off leash running with him!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 8:24 am

Is the class a puppy class or beginner.. We took Blaze to a beginner class and all want to do was bark in the first class but it did get better after that. We are now taking both of our pups to A intm. class now they are the only ones in the class it seems to be working out good.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Qannik has been going to puppy classes since he was 10 weeks old. There was a lot of barking going on the first few weeks, but now after 5 months of consistent training, the puppies are all so much more focused that they sit so nice and quietly around each other. It's very rewarding to see your hard work paying off!
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 7:10 am

ljelgin wrote:
Is the class a puppy class or beginner.. We took Blaze to a beginner class and all want to do was bark in the first class but it did get better after that. We are now taking both of our pups to A intm. class now they are the only ones in the class it seems to be working out good.

It was a beginners class and I am glad to hear that it got better. I wanted to pull my hair out!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 am

We took both of my dogs to our local Petsmart here and our trainer was excellent.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:18 am

Keeonah has never been to puppy class, and I think she might be the most obedient dog I have ever met. 10 months old, no crazies, no nothing, other than the occasional zoomies. I self taught her all of her obedience training, and socialized her on walks. Everyone and their mother wanted to meet her when she was 14 weeks lol. People still comment, but it's not that same puppy love anymore Razz

I really wish i could take credit for her good nature, but I feel like it was at least 75% her in the first place. super trainable. She is almost 10 months, and I'm waiting for crazy spaz dog, and it just hasnt happened yet lol
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm

The day I brought Nikko home I signed up for PetSmart training classes, and he started them when he was just over 10 weeks old. I agree it depends on the trainer. Ours was very good, and there were a 2 other puppies that were the same age/size as Nikko in the class.

I feel that the puppy class was the most beneficial, and we learned the most from that class. We learned the sit, stay, down/stay, sit/stay, come when called, and loose leash walking.

The intermediate class had a lot in it as well, such as heal, around, finish, front, etc. We did well in that class and I liked it as well.

After that we went to the advanced class which gives the CGC test at the end. I was disappointed with this one. We did not learn anything new, and most of the time we were the only ones there. We spent most of the time talking, and very little practice. Now I put part of the blame on myself because it was during the summertime, and we were very busy and I was not able to devote as much time as the other classes to training. That, in addition to my dog being a typical Husky teenager, and the fact I felt that the class did not offer anything new, I would not have taken it. In the end Nikko was not able to pass the CGC test, and the trainer offered to let us retake the class and test.

With Yukon I am debating going back to PetSmart, going with a local trainer, or doing at-home training.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

That's a shame about your CGC class. I'd say make sure Yukon is in a formal class, be it Petsmart or with the local trainer, so he can get socialization beyond what he gets with Nikko. I'd also say give it another go with the CGC when Nikko is a little older. Ghost was 9.5 months when she took it, and though she did pass, it was a close one. The lady that did the testing said it was almost unheard of for a Husky that young to be able to pass, just because of their slightly ADHD nature. We were also biking with her for a couple miles before each class and the test, which helped expend some energy and calm her down. Good luck!

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:04 pm

The funny thing is on the morning of the test we biked him 3 miles too, and gave him 2 walks so he would be good and tired. The test was at 9am too, so I thought he would be tired out by the time the test came. He started out doing well, the first problem was the recalls. He would not come to me. The first time he went to the other dogs, and the second time he just layed there. The trainer had us practice in the aisles for a bit and do it at the end. Then when it came time to the 3 minute separation test he failed miserably. All he did was whine and try to get out of the room.

We start this Saturday re-taking the 6 week course, so when he retakes the CGC test he will be 10 months old.

I think there are a few reasons he did not pass

1) his age – he is a teenager and will go through episodes of not listening.
2) The no treat rule – Nikko is food motivated. You may be able to trick him once or twice, but more than that he isn’t going to respond to praise only.
3) We did not work with him enough – Next time we are going to make many trips to PetSmart and work on exercises.

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

A trick I did with Ro was I had treats in my pocket and kept rubbing my hands all over them so she was very alert and attentive from the scent of the treats.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:18 pm

That's another thing I did...I rubbed a hot dog on my pants so he would smell it. Another trainer told us about this chicken liver treat that is very smelly that he really liked, so next time I am going to rub that on my hands and put them in my pocket ;-)
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 pm

I signed Danzig up for training after about a month of having him. He was was pretty misbehaved puppy and my first job was at Petsmart. Danzig graduated from the Puppy Class and I can say I will never not have my dogs trained there. The best part was having him be socialized with other dogs, especially because he was a little aggresisve as a puppy. It also helped us learn to communicate with him and that was with hand signals not voice commands. He will listen to what you say, but responds far better if you use a hand signal.

The only problem I have with him now, is with tearing things up in the house. He will go months without doing it, but then I will come home to my bed spread being ripped apart (that was actually yesterday). But of course this isn't something they teach about training classes.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm

jschrader wrote:
That's another thing I did...I rubbed a hot dog on my pants so he would smell it. Another trainer told us about this chicken liver treat that is very smelly that he really liked, so next time I am going to rub that on my hands and put them in my pocket ;-)

That's what I used since liver has such a strong smell. A hot dog wouldn't probably linger as well, plus it's best to use your hands, especially if you do signals with your hands when giving commands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petsmart Classes-??   leash - Petsmart Classes-?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Petsmart Classes-??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2