It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 6:55 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
Just for fun, Appa is 26" length, 27.5" height, 33" girth. 76lbs last we checked, but he seems bigger since then.
He's a big boy! But he's SO handsome!
Is he still growing?
I can put the large pack on Storm, and upload a picture if you want to see what it looks like on a body similar to Appa...

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 6:57 pm

We think he's done with height, but he is still rather lanky. I think he'll just be filling out from now on.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 7:18 pm

This is the same pack that Storm has on...medium size. Ginger is 50lbs and about 22" tall.
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 42742210

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Just got back from checking out the winter clearance at REI, and they had the Palisades Pack on display. After taking a look at both the medium and the small, I think I am going to get the small. Pretty sure the medium will be too baggy and not fit his lean build all that well...

Thanks for the pic, Claudia. It definetely helped with picturing how it would fit on Brewer!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Paul, I think I have a post on here under product review with my lines if not I can post on Monday. I like the med on jack but with sierra being shorter like ginger the med would be to big, with her age as well I'm not packing her down with weight.
Glad u were able to go look at them.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:38 pm

jbealer wrote:
Paul, I think I have a post on here under product review with my lines if not I can post on Monday. I like the med on jack but with sierra being shorter like ginger the med would be to big, with her age as well I'm not packing her down with weight.

Jenn, I will take a look at the reviews section and see if I can find your post.

Any chance you have measurements for Jack available? If he is close to Brewer's overall size...that could be the deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:44 pm

When I get home I will measure, been awhile can't remember what he is.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Ok so I was trying to find front shoulder and gave up...
From floor to the top of the shoulder blade(on top of his body where I start the lenght) he is 24" tall
Length (mid point between both shoulder blades to start of tail) 21"
Girth 30"

Hope that helps. He weighs 56lbs last we checked and is about 4yrs old

I think the med would be just fine,like riley said its nice for light bulky things to stuff in there

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:22 am

MicroBrewer wrote:
Just got back from checking out the winter clearance at REI, and they had the Palisades Pack on display. After taking a look at both the medium and the small, I think I am going to get the small. Pretty sure the medium will be too baggy and not fit his lean build all that well...

Thanks for the pic, Claudia. It definetely helped with picturing how it would fit on Brewer!
You're welcome!
If Brewer is closer to Jack's size, then you could go either small or medium - just your preference on how you want the packs to fit. I know some people like the extra room and don't mind being big. I like a lower profile. I just wish I knew how the packs fit and how big they were also instead of just being told that I should buy the medium.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:29 am

The pack has the option to draw it in snug so when not full its not bulky. Either way you go its from ruffwear and backcountry and I can exchange it Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 am

jbealer wrote:
The pack has the option to draw it in snug so when not full its not bulky. Either way you go its from ruffwear and backcountry and I can exchange it Smile

That didn't help as much as I would've like it to. Still, the size of the medium is still a little too big for my preference.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:18 pm

MicroBrewer wrote:
jbealer wrote:

Jenn, I will take a look at the reviews section and see if I can find your post.

Any chance you have measurements for Jack available? If he is close to Brewer's overall size...that could be the deal breaker.

Hi Jennifer, not to be a pain, but if you have the time...it would be great to see some pics of the custom leads. I think I found your post under product reviews, but I am not seeing any pics.

One Medium Palisades pack, Top Rope collar, and Knot-a-Leash coming up bounce

Then it is on to Adanac's belt and custom leads...
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Hmmm. I KNOW there is a better, closer up picture floating around in one of the hiking threads. But I did find this one of her...
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 IMG_3621
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:44 pm

harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P8101610
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P8101611

here is the 9' lead i had them make for me with the tube handle half way so i can pull them in on the trail to let others pass and not cut my hand open. so far the blue rope is holding up to their claims after one season, it is fraying some and is super dirty but i love that they use a nice strong bungees in the black top section. i have the bent from them as well but had Eddy add some padding to it for me as it was bunching up and putting strain on my back, i hear they have a new one now so im not sure if its better.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Jennifer, I think a couple leads with similar design are exactly what I am looking for. At least one of them will need to be 6ft in length due to state park regs, but I think a longer one for use in the BWCA would be ideal.

Will post pics of Brewer decked out in the new gear as soon as it starts trickling in...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

i was working with Jack and Pam on the lines, feel free to telling them my name if you want, they were super helpful. cant wait to see the new gear

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:33 pm

If the tracking information is correct, I should have a package or two sitting on my steps when I get home!!! bounce

If lighting permits I will see about some obligatory pics, otherwise they will have to wait until this weekend.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm

i don't want to have to wait till the weekend to see!!!! oh i so hope it all works out SmileSmileSmile

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Good News...Palisades Pack and Top Rope Collar showed up today!

I think for starters, Brewer and I are going to hit the creek trails with just the harness tonight. The packs can wait until he adjusts to wearing a harness on his runs.

I'd imagine I will have a few question on the pack as soon as I get around to using it, but for starters...thoughts on how the chest, rib, and tummy pads should fit? Also, are the packs only held by the 2 buckles on each side, or are there straps that I am not seeing that will hold them down while in action?

Preliminary pics to come later tonight...

Jason @ BackCountry K9 is looking into getting the Knot-A-Leash ASAP and then it is onto belt and leads!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 pm

I fit the harness as I would an x-back harness - so the top of harness lands at the base of the neck, and tye 'Y' strap for the check should land on the breast bone. Then adjust the straps snug but not tight. The strap the goes right behind the front legs should not rub his legs, but shouldn't be land too far behind the front legs.

The packs are held only by the 2 buckles on each side.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 am

As promised...

Burning off some energy in the backyard #1
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000410
Burning off some more energy in the backyard #2
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000412
Assessing the situation
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000413
The goods...
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000415
Side Profile with new Ruff Wear Web Master Harness
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000417Brewer showing off his new gear #2
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000416
Brewer hinting that he is growing tired of the photo shoot...
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000418

I will see about getting some better pics up this weekend when I can have an extra hand in the matter...

Oh, and sorry about the amateur photos...still need to spend some time with the camera.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 am

Hes such a good looking boy! The gear looks good Smile
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Hes such a good looking boy! The gear looks good Smile

Thanks Jennet! He has come a long ways since his days running wild in Ely, MN.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 pm

would like to see the side pic with pack but the harness looks good, do a front shot of him standing with it as well. i love new dog toys!!! and yes just the 2 buckles to hold the pack.

Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 1:18 am

Best front that I can find:
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000517

Side view:
harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 P1000518
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)   harness - Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with selecting Harness, Pack, and Leash Combination(s)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next