It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Myas gash on her paw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Myas gash on her paw Empty
PostSubject: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm

As most of you probably already know, Mya got hurt while biking on the camping trip and has a pretty nasty cut on her paw. We cleaned it, put Neosporin, bandaged it, and put a bootie on her so that she won't rip off the bandage. This was last night. All day today she's been down and limping a bit. We just removed the bandaging to clean it up and it was wet (not sure from what) and a little bloody. We put more Neosporin and wrapped it up, but didn't put the bootie to at least let it breathe a little. She immediately started obsessively licking at it and removed the bandage after 5min. I just put the muzzle back on her (not an easy task with her) to let it breathe for a while.

Here are the pics. Do you think I should take her to the vet? Or just keep doing what we're doing? I don't want it to get infected and I know it needs to breathe, but that's impossible with her Sad It looks like it might need stitches I think, but isn't there like a 24 hour window to get them?

This sucks!

Myas gash on her paw DSC04453

Myas gash on her paw DSC04452
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Keep and eye out for infection if it doesn't then it'll scab other and heal on its own. Put the collar of shame on to prevent licking.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm

I need to go buy one after Kody destroyed his Rolling Eyes

While letting it breathe it will get dirty as well though. The spot that it's in gets covered in the dirt the minute she goes outside. Ahhh what to do!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Aww poor Mya! That looks painful! I hope it heals quickly!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Yea it needs to breathe, you should put the bootie on when going outside and take it off when inside to prevent the dirt. No stitches for this one, not enough skin on that part of the foot to close it up. Cone of shame is a must unfortunately Sad Hope your pretty girl feels better soon!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Yea it needs to breathe, you should put the bootie on when going outside and take it off when inside to prevent the dirt. No stitches for this one, not enough skin on that part of the foot to close it up. Cone of shame is a must unfortunately Sad Hope your pretty girl feels better soon!

I need to go get the cone tomorrow. For tonight I'm going to have to wrap it and put the bootie on. Do you think that dirt on the floor in the house will get it infected? Unfortunately, our yard has a lot of dirt which they bring in. I clean everyday, but the floor is never 100% clean if you know what I mean.

Do you think it's ok to walk her with the bootie on? Don't want her putting too much pressure on it. My poor baby girl. Breaks my heart Sad
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:05 pm

MelissaI wrote:
hypers987 wrote:

I need to go get the cone tomorrow. For tonight I'm going to have to wrap it and put the bootie on. Do you think that dirt on the floor in the house will get it infected? Unfortunately, our yard has a lot of dirt which they bring in. I clean everyday, but the floor is never 100% clean if you know what I mean.

Do you think it's ok to walk her with the bootie on? Don't want her putting too much pressure on it. My poor baby girl. Breaks my heart Sad

O yes! we are constantly swifer-ing over here! Between the dirt and the hair it's hard to keep up! LOL I don't think walking around in the house will affect the healing, as long as you wash it out a few times a day and put some neomycin or neosporin on it. Short walks should be ok unless she is really limping on it, otherwise a few days to really let the healing process start would be another option, even though she'll want to go! lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how dirty this house gets. It's come to a point that I don't stress it and let it be! By washing it out, you mean with water, right? The hydrogen peroxide stops it from healing is what I've heard. She's going to need a walk at least around the block or she won't let me live. LOL! She's been pretty down though. My poor diva Sad
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 am

Yes warm water, or a warm wash cloth, to gentle cleanse it. Never peroxide, it kills everything, even the good bacteria that promotes healing. It should start looking better in a few days. If it starts ozzing you may need to take her to vet to get some antibiotics, but I doubt that will happen. From the picture, it looks like there is already granulation tissue starting, and that's a good thing Smile

ETA- you may want to trim some of the fur around the wound if you can, that way when it starts to scab the fur wont get stuck. Wink with those nose hair scissors or similar like ones lol
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 am

You can do an epson salt bath for the foot as well to keep it clean, we did that for sierra when her paw was infected. Soaked it a few times a day. Keep the bootie on for out side and only walk her for what she feels like doing, don't push her incase it opens up. Poor girl Sad hope it heals fast.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 am

Ebson salts are awesome for wounds! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 am

Poor baby! Hope she heals up quickly.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 4:05 am

Poor Mya Sad
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 4:17 am

Brooke - what do you think of Vetericyn - either before or after the neosporin?

Since my pooches spent their first month together trying to kill each other - I got to use this stuff often (on some pretty deep bites) and it was awesome! Recommended by our doggie day care.

http://www.petco.com/product/114010/Vetericyn-Animal-Wound-and-Infection-Care.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Dog-_-Vetericyn-_-1409409&mr:trackingCode=2E59A16F-4823-E011-AD27-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CLL6ks2oi64CFWQ0Qgodth3j4A
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 am

You know, I've heard of it but never used it. After reading about it just now and looking through all the reviews I think it's definitely something that I'll have to get to have on hand! I don't even know if you would need the neosporin with it, but if you were to use both I'd use the Vetericyn first, let it soak in for a few minutes then apply the neosporin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

This is the best stuff for wounds like that http://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter.com/buck-mountain-botanicals-wound-balm-for-pets.html It provides a "seal" to keep out contaminates and is all natural.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Brooke - what do you think of Vetericyn - either before or after the neosporin?

Since my pooches spent their first month together trying to kill each other - I got to use this stuff often (on some pretty deep bites) and it was awesome! Recommended by our doggie day care.

http://www.petco.com/product/114010/Vetericyn-Animal-Wound-and-Infection-Care.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Dog-_-Vetericyn-_-1409409&mr:trackingCode=2E59A16F-4823-E011-AD27-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CLL6ks2oi64CFWQ0Qgodth3j4A

I've used that for hot spots and it works really well. It drys out the area. Moisture is what causes the hot spots in the first place.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks guys! I don't think I would be able to hold her paw in an ebson bath for more than 30 seconds though Razz I have to go buy a cone of shame so I'm going to look into the Vetericyn at Pet Supermarket. Hopefully they have it. Petco is further away from my house.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 3:57 pm

its a struggle to get the paw to soak but try it. i got a system down for sierra when we were doing it. make sure its luke warm, 30sec is better then none.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Ugh, Mya is being such a crabby pants Rolling Eyes This whole putting on the bootie every time I let them out isn't going to work. I let them out at least 3-4 times from the time that I get home until 10:30pm. She does NOT like you touching her paw AT ALL. Even with the muzzle on it's still a little process to hold her down and put it on tight enough so that it won't come off.

I think I'm going to leave her with the bootie on in the evenings. I got the cone of shame so she can sleep with it on and keep it on during the day. A few hours of it being covered shouldn't do too damage, I don't think.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Had to do it.

My poor girl and her cone of shame..

Myas gash on her paw DSC04455
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 am

Delilah has the same cone Haha love the comfy cone. At least Delilah will move with her comfy cone on when she will walk. She won't even move with the regular one. She stands there and looks at me like im the devil.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:26 am

Oh Mya....

Luka has that cone to. She has to wear it when her allergies flare up and her face swells. She runs away if I bring it out!

Myas gash on her paw New_ca11
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:34 am

awww..poor doggies Sad
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:11 am

Poor Mya, with those pleading eyes lol How's her paw look today?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Myas gash on her paw   Myas gash on her paw Empty

Back to top Go down

Myas gash on her paw

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next