It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy Empty
PostSubject: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi everyone i am new here. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for my dog Juneau for how much to feed her. She's 10 weeks old and i've had her for 2 weeks. When I first got her we noticed diarrhea and she coughed up a worm on the first night. Come to find out she has roundworm and was put on drontal plus 2 weeks ago and is due for another dewormer in a couple days. She's on Orijen Puppy right now getting 1/2 cup for breakfast lunch and dinner and weighs in at 9lbs. She was 7lbs but has seemed to gain weight since the worms were removed. She still has diarrhea and we didn't know if this was normal because of the food change and also the worms. My fiancee and I feel bad because it seems she has gotten a double whammy.
Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Any ideas guys?
Back to top Go down
HuskyCowgirl08
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyCowgirl08

Female Join date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 pm

My puppy is extremely underweight (she was the runt of the litter, plus she had roundworm when I got her too), so she is about 6lbs at around 8 weeks. I was told by my vet to feed her 1/4cup, three times a day. However, this pup goes crazy over food and she has a really great appetite, so I really feed her around 1/3 or 1/2 cup too. So I think that is a good amount, but I am interested to see what others say
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 pm

The website for Orijen suggests 1.25 to 2.25 cups/day for a puppy 6-12 weeks old and weighing 7-12 lbs. It looks like you're feeding her 1.5 cups/day so you could probably feed her a bit more each day, maybe provide her with a 4th meal during the day for a while.

As for the diarrhea, it could be an allergy to something in the food, or residual from the worms, or any number of things. You could try just feeding her some boiled chicken and rice to see if it firms up or not...
Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm

It's tough for us because like I said we just got her almost two weeks ago so from changing her food over and her having worms really bad "33 worms came out over the course of 5 days. 27 the first day alone". We're just trying to do all we can for our pup.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 pm

it sounds like you could be feeding her a little bit more like Kim said, and you're feeding her a great dog food so i think she should be okay with that. It probably is nerves from still being young, and the worms.

You can add canned pumpkin(the same stuff used as the main ingredient of pumpkin pie) to help firm her poop up. A few tablespoons of this creamy, orange stuff, added to your dog’s food, will help soothe digestive upset and firm up her poop beautifully

Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Thank you guys very much. Appreciate all the help we can get! Will def increase her food a bit more and try the pumpkin!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
You can add canned pumpkin(the same stuff used as the main ingredient of pumpkin pie) to help firm her poop up.
100% Pumpkin...NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling.

If you switch her food all of sudden, meaning, you went from one brand and the next meal was a totally different food without a transition, that could also upset her tummy.

Worms, switching foods too fast, moving environment, the cooking process of kibble, certain ingredients in the kibble, and even feeding too much can all cause diarreha especially if your pup has a sensitive tummy.

Orijen is a really good food, but I'm also not discounting that could be causing her diarreha.

Without changing too many things for at once since you just broght her home, Make sure she's rid of all worms. If her poop doesn't start to firm up after that, do you know what she was fed prior to bringing her home? If you do, maybe you can add some of that to the Orijen and see if she her poop is a little better.

I've never had a puppy, but it seems a lot of puppies going home with their new owners tend to have diarreha for one reason or another in the beginning. (Or so I've been reading here and among friends).

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 pm

The food she was on is a mix of what she was eating before and the orijen. Not sure what is is off the top of my head but was lamb and rice. She's basically had diarrhea since we got her but this is our first dog/puppy so we were thinking it was mostly from the worms since she only had had one deepened with us and it's only been a week and a half and should be getting the next dewormer on sat
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:11 am

Puppies get diareah very easily, but round worm... well shame on the breeder if they didn't worm those puppies! That should be done at 2 weeks, 5 weeks and you should of been advised to coninue at 8,10,12 weeks and then 4 months, 5 months 6 months and then to continue on adult doses. Any breeder that doesn't follow a strict worming routeen has no buisness breeding puppies... Anyway *Rant off!*

Have you tried adding in a little rice and boiled chicken? Ask your vet about Pro-pectalin with Kaolin, this can help firm up the poos quicker but I'm not sure if it can be used for puppies or not. Something like a probiotic yougert would be good as poor pup has an upset tum, but not too much!

Orijen is a good food, but where I'm at unfortunatly you can't get hold of it very easily. I'd stick with it, maybe try the salmon or fish based ones as those are softer on sore tummies. As for the diarea, make sure she has lots of water! Puppies can dehydrate very easily.
Back to top Go down
Juneau
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 am

Yeah we are not very pleased with the breeder. The paperwork that they gave us says that she was dewormed at all the right intervals but when we dewormed her she had some worms that were 6 inches long! Our vet told us there's no way they wormed her at all.

We did try just mixing in some rice with her food and it did firm her stools up a bit. The only reason we stopped was because she started to only eat the rice and not the food.

As for medications. The vet gave us some immodium to use in the amount of 1mL every 12 hours but that didn't work at all. We're just hoping that after she gets the second dewormer this weekend that things start getting better for our poor pup.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 am

I agree with Lyrril, on a fish based diet my 2 have done best with a salmon and what every is with it diet. (Taste of the Wild)
Back to top Go down
Lyrril
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Juneau wrote:
Yeah we are not very pleased with the breeder. The paperwork that they gave us says that she was dewormed at all the right intervals but when we dewormed her she had some worms that were 6 inches long! Our vet told us there's no way they wormed her at all.

We did try just mixing in some rice with her food and it did firm her stools up a bit. The only reason we stopped was because she started to only eat the rice and not the food.

As for medications. The vet gave us some immodium to use in the amount of 1mL every 12 hours but that didn't work at all. We're just hoping that after she gets the second dewormer this weekend that things start getting better for our poor pup.

I don't know how things work in your area but if you paid money I'd report to trading standards. Lieing like that in order to sell a puppy is an offence as far as I'm aware? If there is even the slightest thing wrong with pup ie. Chipped tooth or sore pads (which happens commonly as sometimes mum will over lick them) that should be told to the new owner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy   Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommended Feeding for 10 week old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1