It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hawaii Husky owners

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

Hawaii Husky owners Empty
PostSubject: Hawaii Husky owners   Hawaii Husky owners EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 am

Hello there!

Just wondering if there are any husky owners from Hawaii out there! I am trying to convince my hubby to move out there and his only concern that the heat will be an issue for our Sibe. Right now we live in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) and it can be as cold as minus 30 degrees Celcius (Sorry can't do Fahrenheit) in the winter but he loves playing in the snow. santa
I did some internet searches and know that lots of people own huskies there as well as in other warm climates but he still says he would feel bad for Mikko.
What has your experience been living in a tropical climate? Are your dogs stressed by the heat or do they just get used to it?
I know we could get a kiddy pool and would have to walk him early in the morning and at night, but my husband still feels like it would stress our guy out as he gets hot and pants a lot if it gets above 25 degree C here. sunny

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Sarah (& Mikko)
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii Husky owners   Hawaii Husky owners EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 4:56 am

Was just in Maui 2 weeks ago and found that 80F is much more comfortable then 80F in Buffalo NY.
Be ready though things are expensive in Hawaii compared to the mainland. If it wasn't for cost I'd move there when I retire.
Back to top Go down
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii Husky owners   Hawaii Husky owners EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:17 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
What do you think makes the heat more bearable...being near the ocean breeze? I do understand things are to be more expensive. We live in a city with a high cost of living compared to the rest of Canada because of the oil here and looked at the prices of renting and they seem to be the same or a bit less than here. As for the cost of food, I expect that will be also be about the same or maybe a bit more expensive (don't know why, but food seems to be way cheaper in the states than in canada...guess you are closer to the produce).
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii Husky owners   Hawaii Husky owners EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:58 am

I live in Oklahoma and we had a very very hot summer last summer with temps in the 100's for alot of days My Sibe did fine he wanted to walk we did twice a day very early in the morning and late evening. He was in the house or car most of the day. We went to the dog park on some days when it was a bit like temps in the 80's.
I don't think it stress him too much.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii Husky owners   Hawaii Husky owners EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 am

Mikko'sMum wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
What do you think makes the heat more bearable...being near the ocean breeze? I do understand things are to be more expensive. We live in a city with a high cost of living compared to the rest of Canada because of the oil here and looked at the prices of renting and they seem to be the same or a bit less than here. As for the cost of food, I expect that will be also be about the same or maybe a bit more expensive (don't know why, but food seems to be way cheaper in the states than in canada...guess you are closer to the produce).
I'm from Hawaii - born and raised, and moved to Colorado when I was 28 yrs old. The tradewinds is what keeps Hawaii's temperatures cooler than the same temperature else where. It is humid, but the air doesn't 'sit'. It get really hot when the tradewinds aren't blowing, and in the dead of summer when temps reach above 90, you'll be hot.

The last time I checked, a gallon of milk cost about $4. I still have family there (mom, and 2 brothers and relatives), and they try to grocery shop at Costco and the commissary (my younger brother is in the Army) when they can to help keep cost down.

About 5-7 years ago, a new development for townhomes would cost about $350K for about 1200 sq ft townhome. And most single family homes new or resale are lease hold - you rent the land your home is on from the state.

I've always said I would retire and move back to Hawaii, but now, I'm thinking maybe not so much. The main island of Oahu is so congested and over populated and traffic is terrible. I know my mom and brothers will more than likely never leave. And I have an extended family and network of friends that I can always visit and have a place to stay.

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii Husky owners   Hawaii Husky owners Empty

Back to top Go down

Hawaii Husky owners

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1