It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Earliest we can go to the dog park??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? Empty
PostSubject: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 am

I was curious as to when the absolute earliest you guys think I can take Dakota to the dog park. He loves to interact and play (when there's time) with the dogs around my apartment, but he doesn't get the best experience because I won't let him off leash where we are. He's had his first two rounds of shots and he's almost 10 weeks old. I want him to play because he needs to socialize, have fun, learn how to play, and just be a dog! Smile I want to take him but of course don't want a sick puppy on my hands. We're enrolled in puppy classes that start next weekend but I know he still won't get the full experience.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 am

I took mine as soon as their puppy shots were done. I know some people like to wait till 5-6months when they have their rabies but personally I didn't want to wait that long, and our dog park allows them as soon as their puppy shots are done..
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:11 am

I guess I'm just anxious and don't want to wait that long haha. It's probably the best choice though so I don't risk him getting sick.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 am

I was REALLY excited to take Hayden when I first got him, but EVERYONE kept saying wait until the puppy shots are done! I literally counting down the days lol. Even if you keep you're pup on leash, he/she can still catch stuff. What I did was take Hayden to his puppy kindergarden and then on Saturday's the facility offered a free "puppy party" where a bunch of puppy owners gathered for an hour long play date. When we weren't doing that we would just go to public places and got him socialized with people. Oh! And we hung out at a TON of different pet stores too! I'd hold off on the DP as long as possible.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:50 am

Yeah, about 4 months, as soon as the puppy shots are done...our were about 4 months when we started taking them to the dog park...they love it!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

You guys get rabies done at 6 months? It gets done at 12-16 weeks here...
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 am

12-16 weeks for me! Then, I'm taking away his manhood Wink.

That's a good idea Kelly! Hopefully I can meet some nice people with puppies at petsmart and set up some play dates. We'll also hit up the OU campus on weekends. The last time we did that we saw some people walking their dogs. Dakota even got to meet a husky shepherd mix!
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:45 am

Wish I lived closer to a city, I'd take my dogs walking everywhere!
Back to top Go down
bott6654
Puppy
Puppy
bott6654

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

Haha well Norman's not too much of a city to me. I'm from the Dallas area so that's the kind of city I'm used to. Norman is more like a "town" lol
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 am

Where I live is more like 5 buildings. End. The only thing that makes this town half way alive is the fact that the state prison and mental hospital are here (yeah I live in the crazies town) so people are drawn here for work and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
cherbear
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 12:50 am

Yes for sure once the shots are done with. I'm personally not a big fan of the dog park. There are too many things they can catch and you just don't know how the other dogs are in the park. I took my first husky to a dog park and a hybrid went to attack my boy. Plus I know someone else that took her dog to the dog park and another dog attacked hers and she was trying to break the fight up to protect her dog and of course the other dog grabbed her arm and her arm was torn up pretty bad.

Me and some others will get together at a dog park during the week when it is empty and there are no other dogs in it. I feel more comfortable that way.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 7:42 pm

As soon as all the shots are done!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earliest we can go to the dog park??   park - Earliest we can go to the dog park?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Earliest we can go to the dog park??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1