It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raven's dangly dew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:06 am

Ceara, I have no desire to argue with you, its pointless. Please get over it and move on.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 am

This thread never went off topic which is why I'm personally confused about the initial outburst.

Anyway, I was going to get Kale's front dewies removed during his neuter as well, but they wanted to charge me like $700! I was like "WTF! hell no!" i might get them removed later on, but right now they're fine. They have never gotten caught on anything and they don't bother him, I just have to keep them trimmed lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:20 am

Our rescue has both of his rear dewclaws. They're big and flop around. I honestly don't think he even knows they are there! I'm paranoid that he's going to snag them on the crusty/icy snow we get this time of year, or rip them off when he gets out and runs through the woods chasing birds. Also, the nails on the rear dewclaws grow faster (sort of....because they don't contact the ground, they don't get any wear) so you have to trim them much more often than the nails on their paws.

Our vet was very concerned/irritated that they weren't removed as whoever had him as a pup had 2 opportunities to get them removed: at a few days old, and when he was neutered. However, our vet also said that it wasn't really 'worth it' for him to have to go under anethstesia JUST to get them removed. If he EVER needs a procedure done and they have to knock him out, they're definately coming off. They don't serve a purpose, and are only leaving the door for injury open. Plus, when they're full-grown, they're ugly. Wink
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 am

I fostered a Husky/Aussie mix who had rear dew claws... While he was with me he ripped them up a few times and did it a few times in his new home as well. They got them removed about 6-8 months ago.

If it were my dog and they were only hanging on by skin on the rear i'd have them removed when I neutered the dog.

While no operation or removing of parts is a nice thing to do... after dealing with all of Raleighs problems with them just from running and playing normally I think that outweighs whatever issue I would have with a voluntary surgery. Raleigh was neutered already so they had them removed in a separate surgery.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm

paleobones wrote:
Hi all, just want to get some opinions from you about Raven's dew claw. If she was your dog would you have it removed?

My sibe's rear dew claws look just like Ravens and my sibe also has all four of his dew claws.

I've asked my vets and they have never recommended having them removed and I am certainly not going to have him put under just for that. My sibe is 6.5 years old and he's had all 4 dew claws his entire life. My sibe is NOT a working dog, he is a companion who walks every day, is always hiking in wooded areas, mountains, and rough terrain from snow to thick brush...he's been through it all and in all his years has NEVER had even a minor problem with his dew claws getting caught, stuck, or torn. And IF I ever were to decide to do any "working" with him I would wrap them up as advised for working dogs. I think the rear dew claws being so flexible helps keep them from getting caught on stuff. I honestly worry more about the front dew claws than I ever do about the rear since the front dew claws don't have hardly any give to them.

So I'm basing my personal opinion off of the combination of my experience and my vets' advice and would not have them removed. I'm not giving advice, just stating my position and opinion on it.

Edited to add: My personal thoughts above are keeping in mind that my sibe was adopted as an adult, not a puppy. Going into the world of make believe (because I would never buy a puppy with so many sibes in shelters and rescues needing homes), but let's imagine I did opt purchase a puppy from a breeder I would choose to have the rear dew claws removed shortly after birth and if not then I would probably have them removed at the time of their spay/neuter. Neither was an option for me with my adoptee so I am not for having it done after the fact...just to clarify my position on it.

Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Jack came with all his removed, guess it was done at birth or neuter, i have no idea. Sierra has her front ones and her back must have been removed at some point in her life, her front dews are the only nails i have to clip as the rest get worn down waking. depending on how ravens are attached if just skin, i would remove, if in the bone i would tape them up like Val said and just make sure they are not hanging out while "working" so i guess its up to you and what your vet thinks.

PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Raven's dangly dew

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-