It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

blue buffalo puppy serving amount?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MEEKA1216
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-02-18

blue buffalo puppy serving amount? Empty
PostSubject: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi everyone Meeka just got over her diarrhea and has been doing great for the last week. I have switched her to blue buffalo and she loves it. She's going on 12 weeks and is in between 10 and 15 pounds Im just wondering how much I should be feeding her the bag only says 3/4 cup for her size and I thought that was kinda low so ive been giving her a cup and half divided into 3 servings but she still inhales her food like its the last meal of her life and I am using a slow feeder bowl and that mayhave turned 5 seconds to 1 minute. Im just wondering if I should feed her more and if anyone has any suggested serving sizes they use for blue buffalo or similar type foods for her age? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Karen124
Newborn
Newborn
Karen124

Female Join date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm reading a lot of labels right now and that sounds low to me. My 12 week old is on Blue Wilderness Puppy and based on a "guesstimate" of a 50 lb adult, I'm feeding 2 cups a day. When you say the bag says 3/4 cup, is that for her actual weight right now or are you supposed to base it on a projected adult weight?
Back to top Go down
MEEKA1216
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm

I was going by the weight she is right now but i've been feeding her a a cup and a half a day Im thinking about moving it up to 2 cups 3/4 breakfast, 1/2 lunch and 3/4 for dinner. I thought 3/4 sounded low to me as the eukanuaba I was feeding her had a cup and 1/2 I think but I don't have the bag with me right now to look at it.. She never seems like shes not content once her food is actually gone but when i get it ready to put down for her to eat shes basically doing flips and then sucks it right while running circles around her dish as she eats.
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Edit: I'm not familiar with the BB feeding charts. Obviously. So glad I got to learn something new today! Smile

Last edited by gladahmae on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removing my incorrect presumption as to not spread mis-information.)
Back to top Go down
Karen124
Newborn
Newborn
Karen124

Female Join date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm

I just looked blue wilderness puppy up on their website and the serving amount is based on mature weight. For the lowest weight there's a picture of a dauchsand, etc. I'd be interested to know exactly which blue buffalo you're feeding so we can look it up. 3/4 of a cup a day of premium food for a 12 week old husky just doesn't sound right to me.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm

I don't think you're reading the bag right. On Blue Buffalo's website, for puppy food...

Here's the feeding chart for the Puppy Lamb & Oatmeal formula:
blue buffalo puppy serving amount? Feed-chart-lp-puppy-lamb

The feeding chart for the Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice formula:
blue buffalo puppy serving amount? Feed-chart-lp-puppy-chick

And the feeding chart for the Wilderness Puppy formula:
blue buffalo puppy serving amount? Feedchart-wilderness-puppy

Based on any of these charts I should expect that you should probably be feeding about 2 cups per day in multiple feedings since you're going to be most likely ending up with a 40-60 lb adult give or take. I'd be looking at the recommended feeding amount for a 50 lb mature adult and at 3 months now you're right at that transition point. I think 2 cups a day right now is a good place to be.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks so much Valerie I was looking at that wrong Im glad I had enough sense to realize that seemed to little. I do believe there may be a price sticker that blocked the mature weight portion of the bag. Im going to feed her 2 -2 1/4 a day hopefully she slows down when eating but I think that might be a lost cause lol. Do you think with a female she would get much over 50 ?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Females I think are supposed to weigh 35-50 lbs I believe if you look at the breed standard. However the vast majority of sibes, both male and female, that I've met are well over the breed standard due to a number of factors but mostly due to poor breeding. Your breeder should be able to give you the best idea of how big your pup will get if they know their lines very well like they should. My boy is 50 lbs and we've met many many many female sibes and only TWO of them have actually been smaller than him and within breed standard so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up bigger...a lot will depend on her breeding. Knowing how big her parents and grandparents were is a big help in guesstimating.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks val you know your stuff I see you from SC I'm from NE PA Do your sibes do ok in the summer down there?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 pm

My sibe struggles with the summers down here, he's actually originally from WA state. He copes well enough but he would be happier in a colder climate. He's just a totally different dog in cool versus warm climates. We actually intend to move back to WA but are waiting for the right timing. We just passed up an opportunity to move back, didn't feel that it was the right timing with a newborn baby on the way.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Oic good luck with your newborn usually in PA its a pretty normal weather cycle hot mild cool cold except for this year there was really no winter lol.
Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

Female Join date : 2012-02-27

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey everyone!

I was just reading this topic and my puppies Blue Wilderness Puppy Food comes in the mail today!

I wanted to make sure how much I should be feeding her.

she is 9 weeks old and 12.5 pounds.

Looking at the tables and age I came to conclusion that she should be getting 2.5 cups a day.

Im guessing she will be around 50 pounds because her dad and grandpa were severely overbred. Her grandpa was 110 pounds and her dad is like 80 or something now and he is still growing.

Do I need to feed her more because her blood line is overbred? I can feel her ribs real easy right now, but cant see them so I believe she is a perfect weight right now.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions I am really glad I decided to join this forum everyone is so helpful!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 pm

2.5 -3 cups is probably accurate and a good place to start. To be honest, I never go by the bag. I judge the physical and mental reactions of my dogs and adjust accordingly. They put on weight differently at different times of year (weather/exercise) so it's a constant adjustment for us.

The most important thing with a puppy is to spread the servings out across the day. For a growing puppy, you want to feed her at least 2x daily or more often if possible.

blue buffalo puppy serving amount? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:59 pm

We feed her 2 times a day right now, she eats 1 cup of food in 30 seconds or less, she literally jumps and puts her head in the food and doesnt lift it out until shes licking the bowl(she licks the bowl to make sure everything is gone lol!)

I probably could feed her 3 times a day splitting it up, will it help her out a lot more?

I figured that as long as she is eating everything 2 servings would be fine, but this is my first puppy and I am still learning
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 pm

In general, puppies do better with feedings more often throughout the day. It just helps in their development. If you can do 3x a day, it'll certainly be good for her, but it's not absolutely necessary if you cannot. You really just want to make sure she's eating more than once a day as some people feed their adults.

While she's an energetic puppy and enthusiasm for food is good, I would try to slow down her eating a little. Try putting a toy or wedging a kong into her dish so she has to eat around it. Or put her food on a cookie sheet so it's flat on the ground. That will help to slow her down a little. Smile

You're doing a great job! All these things are just helpful. You're already doing everything she needs Smile

Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks aton!

As for water? We cut her off at about 7-8PM, but should we pretty much just give her as much water as she wants? Shes cut off from her bowl during the day due to gates, but she sits by it to let us know that she needs to drink. I think when she drinks too much water she ends up running to the door and peeing in front of it instead of sitting in front of it like she does whenever she has to poo / pee(usually pee but 1-3 accidents a day so far)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 pm

If she's having trouble potty training from the water, I would continue what you're doing. She should have as much as she needs, but you can restrict it if she's having problems. How often are you taking her out when she urinates in front of the door? If you can give her more water and just take her out more often, that would be better.

Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 pm

I probably take her out every hour - two hours , it seems that she has her accidents usually happen right after shes done playing, so when shes distracted and "Forgets to pee"
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Well, she's a puppy. At 9 weeks, she's about 2 months old? Puppies can only hold it physically for the same amount of hours as they are months old... So... she really can only physically be expected to hold it for about 2 hours. So yeah, if she's been playing and is distracted, she's going to go the moment she stops playing. Wink

Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Yea she has been doing great so far Smile. She hasnt peed or pooed in her crate at all, we do let her out at night when she whines to go outside because she rarely whines at night and when she does its usually because she has to go out (or its 6:55 am, she eats at 7 and definitely is an alarm clock!)

So far today 0 accidents!! shes sat in front of the door every time. However the 2 yo lab is still sleeping in my roomates room so we will see how she does today. I cant wait to feed her blue buffalo tonight!

She was on purina puppy chow(50%) and science diet(50%) before because the breeder had her on that and the vet told us science diet was the best (Liar!)

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Make sure you mix the food to start and put her on it gradually. Switching cold turkey could bother her stomach. It should take you about 2 weeks to switch over completely.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:08 pm

My Balon is currently 12.70 pounds and is eating 3 cups of puppy food a day spread out over three feedings, he is on Nutro Ultra (from breeder) but I am looking to switch him as his stool can be pretty loose. Oh I should mention the vet feels he is a bit underweight.
Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptyThu May 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Nike is on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy and shes 4 mos old prolly 25 lbs now or so ish.

We've been giving her 3 cups a day since she was 3 mos old and will up it again when she hits 5 mos
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:12 pm

so you guys feel Blue Wilderness Puppy is a good food? Wondering because Balon is not exactly enjoying Orijen? (it is mixed in with his Nutro Ultra from breeder)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: blue buffalo puppy serving amount?   blue buffalo puppy serving amount? Empty

Back to top Go down

blue buffalo puppy serving amount?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1