It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

Female Join date : 2012-02-27

Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions Empty
PostSubject: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi everyone, I have a 9 week old husky pup. She is all white and I currently brush her once a day, not a ton of fur comes off each day , but its definitely takes some off. I was wondering to hear from the husky owners themselves, is the furminator worth it and how often to you use it or use a brush to groom your husky? Also since Nike is pure white are there certain shampoos that are better for her than others to bring out the whiteness in her coat?

Thank You!
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 pm

i love the furminator on my husky gets all the loose stuff and also at the feed stores their is this stuff called quick silver its horse shampoo but its for white coats and works great!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm

We use 3 or 4 brushes including a furminator knock-off (DO NOT waste your money on a real furminator-- you can get them at Walmart for like $5).

As for Shampoo, I'm not sure but huskies shouldn't be bathed more than 2x a year if it can be helped (clearly when they get into things it needs to be more often). Huskies groom themselves and bathing too often will strip their hair of the natural oils that they need and contribute to skin problems.

Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Alright will do, I will look into that quick silver and try to only use it twice a year!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fur-GO-Pet-Large-Dog-Deshedder-Yellow/14978788

is this the furminator knock off you were speaking of? Fur-GO? Razz

I know the huskies shed their entire coat twice a year also, does it usually happen around the same time for all huskies?(guessing its weather dependent) And will my puppy even shed her whole coat since shes a puppy?
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 pm

i think mines a knock off LOL
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 pm

That's one of them. And yeah-- I suppose it's $20... just don't pay over $20 for one.

Each husky's shedding period is different. It honestly just happens 2x a year. Some seem to go by weather, others don't.

As a puppy, she is going to shed pretty much her entire coat before her adult coat comes in.

Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:21 pm

A furminator is actually terrible to use on a husky and any double coated breed as it strips the guard hairs (pulls/breaks them from the cost -something it is not supposed to do) and can ruin their coat. If you choose to use one I wouldn't use it more than once a week for no more than 15 minutes or only use it specifically when theyre blowing coat. Lots of people use them though but I would never use one on mine. for everyday brushing I'd just use a regular brush or comb.

(the furminator is a knockoff of what groomers use to use a #40 blade from Clippers for. Over use of it will damage the coat)

Rakes, the rubber massage things(they really work to fet out the undercoat) and greyhound combs work wonderfully. I also use a grooming glove.

As for shampoos there are plenty of whitening shampoos out there - I don't have a white dog so I don't worry but my mother has two Maltese and they have a whitening shampoo though I don't know he name.

Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 pm

I posted in another thread that Mane N Tail Shampoo/Conditioner is great! I've not used our furminator on our husky pup yet, but I do use it on my Dalmatians every now and then and it works great.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:30 pm

another thing i have used is a shedding stone it looks kinda like a pumis stone but also work really good and you can also pick one up for like 5 bucks at a feed store
Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks so much for everything! Do puppies shed more than adults since they have their puppy coat and adult coat? im just talking about day to day shedding not shedding of the entire coat
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
I posted in another thread that Mane N Tail Shampoo/Conditioner is great!,.
they provide a white enhanser shampoo to i believe but yes also a great product and will make the coat soft and silky i have used this stuff on my self because its feels so nice
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 pm

I have a pure white husky. I use the furminator knock off and a wire dog brush. I use the furminator about once a month and brush him like every other day. His brush is always laying around so if I am near and he is also I will just give a few swipes with it. The first time I used the furminator it took about 20 mins to fill one of those plastic grocery bags. Since then I do not get to much.
As for baths, it depends on how brown or gray he gets and if he going some where. I have a GSD also and they both love to play and run and roll and rub their backs into the dirt/sand. He is also a digger. Sooooo.... If we have nothing going on I usually bathe him about every 2 weeks. In between baths I use moist wipes for dogs and waterless shampoo. It helps but....
Since I do bathe him a lot I buy the Great Choice Oatmeal Whiting shampoo from Petsmart. It's does not cost much like about 4 or 5 bucks. It works and he is bright white when I am done. Has a matter of fact I am hoping to bathe him today he is gray today...lol
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I use the furminator atleast 3 times a week on top of getting Kya groomed several times a year. I love the furminator!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Don't use the furminator on a puppy, they don't have the adult fur yet. I didn't use a furminator until I think maggie was 9 months. I use this natural shampoo since she was a baby. I will give you the name it is the best stuff. I personally don't use it because my friend who is a groomer told me it will rip up their hair and cause split ends and kinda damaging. I use a metal comb and brush on maggie. She only sheds when she is blowing her coat which is right now,
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I also refuse to use a furminator (knock-off) even though I own one. Too damaging to their hair IMO and there are other brushes that work better for me.

Earthbath makes good shampoos and I like Quadruped shampoos. Look for a shampoo that's safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments if you use those and ones that are gentle on their skin. Personally, I bath my girls anywhere from once a week to once a month depending on how dirty they get (they love to swim in a pond at one dog park) and if I have a dog show coming up.

Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:49 pm

SaraB wrote:
I also refuse to use a furminator (knock-off) even though I own one. Too damaging to their hair IMO and there are other brushes that work better for me.

Earthbath makes good shampoos and I like Quadruped shampoos. Look for a shampoo that's safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments if you use those and ones that are gentle on their skin. Personally, I bath my girls anywhere from once a week to once a month depending on how dirty they get (they love to swim in a pond at one dog park) and if I have a dog show coming up.

I agree with you!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 pm

jrkujak wrote:
Do puppies shed more than adults since they have their puppy coat and adult coat? im just talking about day to day shedding not shedding of the entire coat

I'm inclined to think the adults shed more then puppies. Welcome to the wonderful world of Huskies and shedding. I've told people that ask me if Huskies shed much and I tell them on a scale of 1 to 10 they shed at 11.

Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

I only use the furminator when its coat blowing time. Neo sheds all the time, he blew his coat for 2 months last summer, then shed heavily for another 2 months, then just light shedding up untill a few days ago when I started pulling tuffts off his hip. Oh jeez, her we go again lol. Ihave used other rakes and combs but the furminator works best, if you use it right. I got mine off Amazon for 14$
Back to top Go down
jrkujak
Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks so much for the great suggestions! Ill grab her a furminator once she reaches the correct age. Until than its brushing her daily, shes getting more and more used to it each day.
Back to top Go down
Nira Sky
Puppy
Puppy
Nira Sky

Male Join date : 2012-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

All white for Nira as well. Be sure when using the quicksilver to ash thoroughly and not allow to stay on too long. It could result in a blue husky. I keep puppy wipes in car to wipe fresh mud from feet, legs, butt.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 am

I 3rd the anti-furminantor train. I will only use it when Odin is shedding heavily and I only use it on his back legs because the hair is so short the rake doesn't work as well.

Other than that specific exception I never use it (I have 2 real ones.)

We use the slicker brush, undercoat rake, and HV drier. I bathe mine as often as Sara does. From as often as once a week sometimes to monthly. I would not religiously bathe the dogs weekly. We only do that in the summer when we do a lot of lake swimming.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ant&Lisa
Newborn
Newborn
Ant&Lisa

Male Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Some great advice here..
we bought a furminator, and was always in two minds about it..
As he is moulting/shedding right now we have to brush him daily, But we don't use the furminator every day, maybe once twice a week, its great around his hind legs, where it is coming out like chunk of cotton wool, we could fill a pillow case some days..

But i was always worried about damaging his top coat with this, so use a softer brush for the most part...
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Nira Sky wrote:
All white for Nira as well. Be sure when using the quicksilver to ash thoroughly and not allow to stay on too long. It could result in a blue husky. I keep puppy wipes in car to wipe fresh mud from feet, legs, butt.

Hmmm...I kinda think I would like a BLUE husky....Wink
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:31 am

do you guys get the furminator for long or short hair?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:40 am

Balonsmom wrote:
do you guys get the furminator for long or short hair?

I find that it doesn't work well on longer hair, mine is only effective on the shortest parts of the coat and worthless on the longer parts. I like the undercoat rake because it tackles the longer fur better but doesn't do a great job on the shorter fur. The two brushes compliment each other nicely for me.

PostSubject: Re: Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions   Pure - Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Furminator / Pure White Husky Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next