It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Agility Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 am

So I was wanting to do some backyard agility stuff with Thor. I have done some reading a while back when I tried with my GSD. But he had no interest at all in it.
I only have two things to start with I made my own jump bar with pvc pipe and cut up some pvc pipe to make a weave thing.
I some what tried to get Thor to jump over bar just goofing around. But he won't he is very food/treat driven but he just tries to walk around the bar or sits there staring at me. The weave poles is hopeless I tried to get him to follow the treat while weaving but he tries to just walk down one side.

Any suggestions???

Thanks Deb
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 pm

do the jump and weave with him so he see what you are wanting him to do and start your jump off low so ist more of a step at first
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 pm

yea, ok never thought of doing it myself with him. Yea I have it low so it's just a step.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 pm

hope that helps Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Just set the bar low on the jump and have him just walk over it at first. Reward him for going through the jump (it has side bars to hold the middle bar, right?). Once he starts to get that, add just a couple inches of height and go from there. Is he toy motivated?

Have you looked in your area for a good agility class? There are several around here and they start at the most basic level.

Agility Help Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Yea, I made it adjustable... No he really isn't toy motivated Sad There might be classes some where maybe, the city I live in is more for retired people. If I did find one It would hard for me to get to it, I work 12+ hours a day except on Sundays and Tuesday. So I figure I would just do some things at home after work with him.
There isn't even a dog park here. I did find a doggy beach about a 30 min drive from my house Smile I am hoping to take them on Tuesday for the first time.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 pm

this is a nice looking backyard set up

Agility Help Agilty10
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 pm

That's pretty cool set up. Our yard is way bigger so i can do something like that. But if I can't get him interested in it I do not want to waste my money on building anymore pieces.
I made the poles and one jump bar so far. I would like to get the tunnel the beam thing and the see saw looking thing.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm

When we still had our GSD, I had to jump over the stuff with her, and I just found random things around the house, or in the shed, like laundry baskets with a broom handle for a jump, and we have apple trees that are close together for weaving. It was just for fun, so it didn't really matter what I used.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Agility Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agility Help   Agility Help EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 2:41 pm

i think if you keep to it he will catch on and enjoy it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Agility Help Empty