It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! Empty
PostSubject: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Continuing off of last years gardening efforts (2011 thread here: Val's 2011 gardening thread)...

I kinda got lazy about updates toward the latter portion of last year, I had made a few changes and new additions but we'll focus more on what this year brings from here on out.

Off to a great start this year despite my inability to do much at the moment. Can't wait for this baby to come out so I can get to scratching this itch to work in my yard. I see a lot of my plants are starting to come back beautifully. Hubby and I have been working on laying down weed fabric and cypress mulch, doing one bed at a time. It's still a work in progress but we are almost done. Pics to follow once the job is complete.

This weekend I bought 4 Dwarf Yaupon Holly bushes, they will line the short walk to the back gate. I plan to line the walk with stones in between the hollies.
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1385

These I bought late last fall but didn't get a chance to plant before it turned cold. They've bounced back amazingly well so I'm just waiting for a certain baby to come along before I can start putting them in the ground. They're 2 pink knockout roses and a daylily, so much bigger and better than they were when I bought them last fall.
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1387

These Rhododendron I bought earlier last fall as well, don't think I ever shared. The Astilbe I planted around them are popping up out of the ground at a rapid pace also (that's one of the Astilbe in between the 2 Rhododendron).
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1391

Had to share a couple pics of my Azaleas starting to bloom...
The pinks in the back:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1388

And the whites in the front:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1392

Couldn't resist snapping a pic of my Purple Homestead Trailing Verbena, it got HUGE last year and is filling in so nicely already.
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1390

And lastly (for now) I just had to share a pic of my Japanese Magnolia as it is right now, this little tree takes my breath away every time I look out the window or go out into the yard. I told hubby I want some more of them. Razz
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! IMG_1393

Definitely have some big plans for the yard/garden this year and I look forward to sharing it as we go along! Smile

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 1:58 pm

you read my mind Val!!! i got out and did some garden work yesterday and was like, its time to start a new thread!
nice to see some color from your yard and i hope with baby in tow you can get all your work done this summer Smile

i was surprised to see all the little green poking through the dead leaves once i cleared them out yesterday! and some tulips poking out of the dirt

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I can't wait to see what you have in store for this year as well! Same here, I'm seeing green pushing up out of the ground all over...every day it seems like a find something new coming up. My gladioli, irises, and daylilies are at the forefront of the progress so far. Makes me so happy to see all this green! Very Happy

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 pm

I love the Japanese Magnolia! I WANT! Smile

MIL planted bulbs randomly last Fall, along with some of Iris bulbs that Jenn split from her garden and they started to sprout out last week and bloom! Not sure where my MIL planted what, but she planted some daffodils, crocuses, and something else I can't remember the name! I'm excited to see what comes up because I still have some pansies that lived through the hail storm 2 summers ago that hubby didn't rip out (because he thought they were annuals and died!).

I need to start a continued thread too!

Can't wait to see more of your (and Jenn's) pictures of your garden this year!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Pics, Claudia! While I work on my own yard I have to live vicariously through you and Jenn because some of the stuff you guys have over there won't grow in my neck of the woods. Can't wait to see everyone's gardens this year!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I will get pics tomorrow or Wednesday since it'll be 70 degree weather all week!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 pm

So many more plants are sprouting new leaves, makes me so happy! Very Happy

Got back in touch yesterday with the landscaper we hired last summer to add two extra zones to our existing irrigation system. He'll be coming out tomorrow to go over what we want to add to our yard as far as edging and additional trees. I just don't think with a new baby that I will be up to laying down all that concrete edging. And we want to get some larger trees delivered and installed in the backyard this year, more work than hubby and myself can manage by ourselves so we'll see what this landscaper can do for us and for how much. Exciting! bounce

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:51 pm

man i wish i had more money to put into my yard Sad yours looks so great!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm seeking some advice/opinions from you folks regarding trees. We have contracted a landscaper to do some work for us, he's scheduled to do the work the second week of May. One of the things he'll be doing is putting in 2 trees in our backyard. I told him I wanted a shade tree, preferably something fast growing, that would do well in our area. I don't mind if it flowers or not. I left it open to him to give us suggestions.

The options he suggested are as follows:
-Maple
-Redbud
-Dogwood
-River Birch
-Elm

I'm not really interested in a Maple since we already have one in the front yard and the woods behind our house are full of Maples.

We're going to put in 2 trees, so here's where I'd like some opinions. Of the last 4 tree suggestions, which would you folks recommend and why? Also, if there are certain trees in his list that you would not recommend in his list please tell me why for those as well.

Thanks in advance, I have certain trees in mind that I'm leaning toward but wanted to get others' opinions before I say which.

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Elm trees grow to be huge but will definitely provide you with the shade you're looking for, dogwoods are beautiful when they flower but are much smaller. I had to look up the redbud but the pictures I saw of it flowering are gorgeous.

If you're look for shade and aesthetics I'd go for the dogwood and redbud. Very Happy

Maples are over-rated. Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:45 pm

i love dogwoods had some in PA growing up but i remember them being shorter wider trees, i know there are a few diff. kinds of dogwoods, ours got some dogwood virus and we lost them Sad
i love the river birch, i have the weeping birch in the back and i love it. i do know they are prone to a birch virus and i think beetles/insects so i have been treating it every spring. i love everything about elms

dont care for the
Maple or Redbud

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:59 am

Val, did you ever pick a tree? or has any work been done?

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm

We ultimately decided to go with 2 River Birch trees. The landscaper is scheduled to do the work this coming Thursday, I'm looking forward to it. They'll be planting the two 45 gal trees along with two 7 gal lavender azaleas and six 1 gal mexican heather, plus 240 feet of concrete block edging they will install around our existing garden beds.

The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:13 am

Thats a great choice Val, they are much more resilient than a regular birch and will be nice shade for you. Hope to see photos!
Kelly
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:16 am

Can't wait for the pics! U doing the edging in the back or whole house and screwing the hoa?

Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptySun May 06, 2012 2:52 pm

I just skimmed through all of last years gardening thread and I must say I'm mighty jealous of that big beautiful backyard you have to work with! I can't wait to have my own house and yard to plant things in. You've got a fantastic looking yard after last year and I'm looking forward to seeing what all you do this year, Val!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Thank you and I will definitely post pics after the work is done. Smile I've already taken a few pics for "before and afters".

Jenn, we did not get HOA approval for the edging this time. However my neighbor 2 doors down got HOA approval for the same edging that we are going with so I know we won't get in trouble for it. We are having the edging done in the front yard as well as the portion around the house in the backyard. Later when I create island beds in the backyard I'll get the edging done there as well. If the landscaper does a good job this time around we'll probably hire him again to create my backyard island beds, plus edging and whatever other plants I decide to get. If it weren't for the baby I'd do the islands myself, but I just don't have the time these days.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptySun May 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Looks great so far, Val!

I need to update my thread. I'm happy to report that ALL of our plants are coming back up this year except one... but that one may still actually come back, it might just be too early. I wasn't expecting that since I tend to have a brown thumb!

Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 11:06 am

Just a few update pics, some of which include the work that the landscaper did for us last week.

For starters here are a few before and afters…

Before:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B1A

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B1B

Before:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B2A

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B2B

Before:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B3A

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B3B

Before:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B4A

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B4B

Before (this is a pic from last year):
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B5A

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B5B

Before (this is a pic from last year):
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B6A

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B6B

This is something the hubby and I did, not the landscaper.
Before:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B7A

Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B7B

After:
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B7C

And some random pics from this spring…

Rhododendron flowers
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B8

Magnolia blooming
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B9

My Astilbe has taken off this year
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B10

Hydrangea in bloom
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B11

Blue Flag Iris
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B12

One of the flowers on the 2 new azaleas the landscaper put in (it’s actually more purplish in person)
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B13

And lastly my Gladioli are starting to bloom!
Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! B14

Bought a few more plants this past weekend…2 rose bushes, several Lantana, and a Snow Princess. Smile

The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:28 pm

The edging looks great Val! I am SO jealous of your Rodedendron. with Tika, everything plant is an open invitation to chew, so I dont want to risk it.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Oddly, the only thing my sibe eats in the garden are my Japanese Magnolias. I have to keep a close eye on him for sure, he doesn't touch anything else.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Looks fabulous, Val!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 11:31 am

love the edging, really makes everything look "finished" i so need to do something in the front yard with our! your plants are all looking so good!

Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Really nice work there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!   Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Val's 2012 Gardening Thread - New Year, New Stuff!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1