It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Best dog food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

food - Best dog food Empty
PostSubject: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:44 pm

What is some good dog food to help their teeth?

I am on TOTW and Solid gold right now. Any foods I can mix in? Maggie is allergic to grains so it has to be grain-free.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm

The only food that will help keep their teeth clean are raw meaty bones, basically a Prey Model Raw diet is best.

There are no prepared/processed foods that will help their teeth, regardless of what manufacturers will claim. Of course you can stick with kibble like you're feeding now and supplement a raw meaty bone once a week and that should help keep the teeth nice and clean for you.

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Help her teeth in what way? Remove plaque/tartar?
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
Help her teeth in what way? Remove plaque/tartar?

yes.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

What about the doggie toothpaste? we have that but haven't used it.
Back to top Go down
Tccgold
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 pm

The vet this last time remarked about how great our pups teeth looked, and asked what we fed them. The wife told her we were doing the raw diet. All of a sudden the vet wasn't so impressed with the teeth. We love the raw diet!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Ya, I used to do raw, but I don't have a place to store meat now.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
What about the doggie toothpaste? we have that but haven't used it.

There are lots of suggestions for supplemental dental health if you wander over to the grooming forum I believe. I didn't mention them here because it's not a food like you had asked about. But yes, dog toothpaste is worthwhile if used regularly, and when I say regularly I do mean very regularly (every day). Also, when you buy dog toothpaste be sure to by the enzymatic toothpaste as it uses enzymes to work on the teeth even if all you manage to do is get the paste on their teeth which is better than plain dog toothpaste without enzymes.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
Ya, I used to do raw, but I don't have a place to store meat now.

Feeding an RMB once a week would not take up much room in your freezer if you were to go that route...and it's so good for them and very effective dental care. Wink

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Alright good to know. I wasn't sure, my vet said that it is mild but she shouldn't have some this young.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Some dogs are more prone to it than others too.

Here are some links to some previous dental care threads:

Dental Hygiene

Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...

Teeth Brushing / bad breath

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Thank you. I should have researched! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

No problem, they're scattered about.

Another recent thread...

Tartar on teeth

Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:32 pm

We feed ours Orijen; we don't do any raw, but we do give them plenty of tendon chews (flossies, bully sticks, etc), nyla bones, antlers, etc. Just about anything hard for them to chew on helps keep their teeth clean.

Kong also makes a few items (Dental Sticks, Dental Kong, etc) that help to clean their teeth as they play with the toys. Even rope toys can help, too.

Dogs that are on a raw diet generally have great looking teeth (from what I've seen), but there are other ways to keep their teeth clean if raw diet isn't right for you and your dog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:38 pm

David, you joined!!! Very Happy Hi! LOL!

We need to start on the RMB's again b/c Mya's teeth have tartar and she's such a diva that we can't brush her teeth! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:40 pm

MelissaI wrote:

We need to start on the RMB's again b/c Mya's teeth have tartar and she's such a diva that we can't brush her teeth! Rolling Eyes

haha maggie too!! I got the dental sticks, she much rather chew on those,
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Yep, I joined!

I honestly have never tried to brush Lola or Harlen's teeth. Harlen's teeth are great (he loves to chew on Antlers, nylabones, etc, so he does a good job keeping them clean). Lola's teeth are pretty good, too....she chews on a lot of her toys, especially the Kongs. Of course, they get plenty of tendons, bones, etc that also help. Smile

MelissaI wrote:

Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Tccgold wrote:
The vet this last time remarked about how great our pups teeth looked, and asked what we fed them. The wife told her we were doing the raw diet. All of a sudden the vet wasn't so impressed with the teeth. We love the raw diet!

Our first vet FREAKED when we said Raw.

Our vet now jokes that we are bringing out the wolves in our dogs, especially the 6 pound pom!

We love the raw diet too! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best dog food   food - Best dog food Empty

Back to top Go down

Best dog food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1