It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Taking food from us?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

food - Taking food from us? Empty
PostSubject: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm

We have only had Rio a few days, but we are having issues training her. Mostly because she wont take treats from us. She will ONLY eat in her crate and when we pass out cookies every afternoon she wont take them. We have even tried leaving them next to her. But she will not eatvanything unless she is crated.

Any suggestions? Im gonna try hotdogs tonight butbI dont have a clue...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 3:03 pm

That would have been my first guess. Find something she goes nuts for, whether it's a toy or a treat. Find something she will get over her fear for.

Otherwise, start training her with treats by feeding her treats through the crate, or leaving them in there for her to go get. Then slowly start feeding her through the crate, then with the door open, then back away so she has to walk out of it a little, so on and so forth. Gradually work her up to eating treats away from the crate.

food - Taking food from us? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm

We even offered her a beef back rib and she wouldnt take it. I will try the crate thing. It just floors me bc she is my shadow but wont take food lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Honestly, I would give her more time. It took about 2 weeks for Faith to even consider taking food from us outside of her crate. Glory was pretty similar. Both girls would only eat in the safety of their crate AND only after they thought no one was "watching".

What are you trying to train this soon? If it's basic commands there's no reason they can't wait an extra week or two until she is more comfortable. If it's stopping undesirable behavior then treats aren't really even necessary, unless you are rewarding her for something she does right...in which case she either takes it from you or she doesn't get it.

If she still won't take food after 2 weeks then I'd move on to trying something higher value/more enticing. Just my two cents.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 pm

She just took the hot dog from me but it was a grab and run so she isnt ready yet. but yes itvwas mainly basic commands. Generally the sit and wait bc she is underfoot and she likes to jump up on us.

I will give her alittle more time to adjust to us. She also went after my male pom today when they were eating beef rib bones. I gave everyone ther own. She didnt want hers and then literally attacked the pom. We were told she didnt have food aggression but it seems that she does.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I wouldn't judge any of her behavior for awhile as "who she is." She's not herself right now, wait for her to adjust before worrying too much.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 5:59 pm

I TOTALLY missed the "we've only had her for a few days." While the suggestions I gave might work... everyone is right. Rio ABSOLUTELY needs more time to settle in. You can start trying to train her or help her along after a month, but she at LEAST needs a few WEEKS to settle in and she won't show her true colors and personality for about 3-6 months. Hailey took a solid 6 months. Koda was about 3 actually.

Definitely be patient and give her more time.

food - Taking food from us? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking food from us?   food - Taking food from us? Empty

Back to top Go down

Taking food from us?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1