It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sleep outside of crate?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jvoide
Newborn
Newborn
jvoide

Male Join date : 2012-03-24

Sleep outside of crate? Empty
PostSubject: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 8:42 am

My 11 week old Siberian puppy Tala sleeps ok in her crate. Just ok. She's fine for anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and then I get up, around 2:30 or 3 in the morning to bring her outside to eliminate. She does well with that. The problem comes when I try to go back to bed and she either thinks it's playtime or just time to lounge around on the couch or floor. If I attempt to put her back in her crate she will cry, scream, howl, etc. I know you should never give in, however it is important my 6 year old daughter gets her rest for school. I toyed around with the idea of just letting Tala sleep with my wife and I. I am aware that this could be a life long habit and that's ok. She is otherwise a really good puppy. She's playful, attentive, easily housebroken, and is on a never ending quest to get the cat to play with her. She has been a member of our "pack" for about two weeks now and has adjusted well, except for this one issue. This past night, I wanted to pull my hair out...thus joining this forum. It's comforting to have someone to empathize with and can offer some advice.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Rio had that problem. She would scream and howl, and then she chewed OUT of her crate. Since then she has been sleeping on the bed with us and there is no problems now.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:49 pm

If you truly don't care that she will want to share your bed from here on out, then I say let her. They do sleep so much better, however, you do want her to be comfortable in her crate. More than likely, you will need that crate again. Smile I would still work with her and get her to enjoy the crate. Have you tried filling a kong with pumpkin and/or yogurt and freezing it, then give her the kong when you put her back in the crate? If she gets this high value treat by going into her crate, she will soon go in willingly.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Since it wasn't brought up yet - another problem aside from not having her used to the crate that could be invaluable later in her life - 11 week old puppies cannot control when they eliminate. If you value your mattress and bedding and don't mind waking up laying in pee sometimes (it can/will happen) I'd rethink letting her sleep in the bed at such a young age. While it can be done (I know first hand) you have to be willing to get up every couple of hours throughout the night sometimes or you'll have accidents in the bed.

Also be concerned with squishing her or her falling off of the bed or even chewing things like wires and controllers.

Sleep outside of crate? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Thankfully Elara was a doll and slept through the whole nights in her crate when we first got her, but I think that is mainly due to the fact that she had Siku sleeping in a crate right beside her. Siku our first one, however, screamed bloody murder the first 3 or 4 nights when she had to sleep in her crate. All I would do is let her out once or twice during the night to pee and then just put in earplugs and try to sleep through it. After 3 or 4 days she never screamed again. But those nights were hard! Even with earplugs it was still kind of hard to sleep. But now she's great in her crate if need be. Both of mine are 1.5yrs and 2yrs, so they just sleep in the bedroom with us now. I would not trust them in the bedroom at night when they were younger though. They probably would have chewed up something or pottied on the carpet.

I also agree that you might want to keep up with the crating, because it helps a ton with potty training.

Sleep outside of crate? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jvoide
Newborn
Newborn
jvoide

Male Join date : 2012-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm

She's actually been doing quite well for the past couple of nights. She's definitely used to her crate and has been for a while. The problem was getting her to go BACK to sleep after bringing her out at 3:00 in the morning. I've been crating her while I am home for a couple of 10 minute clips, so long as she's quiet. She has a stuffed Kong in there and actually likes her crate and goes in there on her own sometimes just to relax. She seems to be getting the jist of playtime/sleeptime. Very Happy I wouldn't mind her sleeping in our bed however eliminating on it would not be good so maybe I'll wait until she's older. I do trust her however to not "go" in the house. She's gotten really good with her housebreaking training. She's so smart and amazes me everyday. Thank you for the great advise!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Have you tried not waking up at 2 or 3 to let her out and see if she'll just sleep through the night? Elara was only 8 weeks old and slept all night long and I just let her out in the morning to potty. Is she already up at 2 or 3 or do you wake her up to go potty?

Sleep outside of crate? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Raptor105
Puppy
Puppy
Raptor105

Male Join date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am

SaraB wrote:
Thankfully Elara was a doll and slept through the whole nights in her crate when we first got her, but I think that is mainly due to the fact that she had Siku sleeping in a crate right beside her. Siku our first one, however, screamed bloody murder the first 3 or 4 nights when she had to sleep in her crate. All I would do is let her out once or twice during the night to pee and then just put in earplugs and try to sleep through it. After 3 or 4 days she never screamed again. But those nights were hard! Even with earplugs it was still kind of hard to sleep. But now she's great in her crate if need be. Both of mine are 1.5yrs and 2yrs, so they just sleep in the bedroom with us now. I would not trust them in the bedroom at night when they were younger though. They probably would have chewed up something or pottied on the carpet.

I also agree that you might want to keep up with the crating, because it helps a ton with potty training.

Went through the same thing Sara except our little guy did this for a few weeks instead of a few nights. He's just over three months old now and there's no predictability to his sleeping. Some nights he can go 8 hours fine, other nights I'm up every 3-4 hours to let him out. Regardless of how much sleep he gets, it's game on at 5am every day, which is fine during the week, but 5am on a weekend is brutal!! I would hope that he can sleep until 8 on a weekend at least!! The good news is that he really does like his crate and goes in it no problem!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleep outside of crate?   Sleep outside of crate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleep outside of crate?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1