It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

Female Join date : 2009-05-24

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptySat May 30, 2009 2:04 am

Ruger wrote:
Shocked Your definately a teeth person...Gunny will have the prettiest teeth in Colorado

Yup! Pearly whites!!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 11:10 pm

So I've noticed that Gunny has been chewing at the zipper/threading of his pillow in the crate and yesterday I left him in there longer than I had wanted to to find that he's tearing apart the foam now. I probably shouldn't leave him in the crate that long, but I bet he will do it again to another pillow anyway. Any suggestions? Much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Ruger
Releaser Pheromone
Ruger

Male Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 12:11 am

Lol I dont have much to tell you because Ruger has gone through numerous blankets and beds...hes not even in his crate that much. I think he just gets destructive in there. I went in there one time and it looked like it snowed in his cage because he pulled out all the cotton stuffing inside of one of his beds... Rolling Eyes gotta love em
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 IMG_3246

So I came home to this today... I had bought Gunny his 2nd crate pillow just yesterday and did not even leave him in there as long today. What else am I supposed to put in there for cushion? I don't wanna be a bad mom!

Here's Gunny! As you can see his nose has been healing. Hopefully it'll become all black again with time.

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 IMG_3247

Last edited by The Dentist on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Funny, I tried downloading directly from my computer yesterday and it worked fine but today it won't do it. I had to go back to photobucket. At least they showed up this time!)
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Another pic of Gunny

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 IMG_3252
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

oh dear Danielle - you might have to try hay instead of pillows!! Someone on the 'other' forum mentioned hay for bedding for their dogs. You could always try it and cover it up with a fleecy blanket.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:45 pm

I would go to a fabric store and check out there clearance fleece and just buy a thick one and fold it in half and put it in his cage, also I think cedar chips are suppose to deter chewing? Maybe you can buy some and sprinkle them into the next bed if you do buy one.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 8:02 pm

To be honest... we tried everything and Koda doesn't like bedding in his crate. He prefers a hard, flat surface. We don't put anything in there anymore cause he destroyed everything Embarassed I think he likes it like that though. He always seems very happy when we come to get him out.

You could also try carpet squares. Koda doesn't mind the carpet to lay on, so maybe Gunny is the same way. I think a lot of it just has to do with the heat. They don't like an insulated surface.

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions! I'll see what I can find this weekend.

How long or how old before I can trust Gunny to be out of his crate while I work during the day? I probably can't trust him with the house that I'm renting now since it came as a fully furnished house (couches, pillows, rugs, bed...) so I might have to wait till I have my own house or at least my own furniture, right? I do have a garage, but I've noticed that Gunny might have phobia of garages.
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Yeah, don't leave him in the garage. Crating your dog isn't really mean, even though a lot of people initially feel that it might be. Dogs like to have a place to call their own, a place that they can feel secure and not have to worry about threats of any kind. A crate provides that for a dog.

As for the bedding, Sitka hates bedding in his crate but loves beds that are out of the crate. I learned his dislike for bedding after the 4th one. He seems happy on a hard surface.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Ruger
Releaser Pheromone
Ruger

Male Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 2:35 am

haha i love the picture of the cage
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 12:38 am

Oops, I'm not posting correctly, I was trying to update the subject and then deleted my very first post. Anyway this should now show up where it should be.

Oh great, Gunny just chewed a hole in this beautiful rug in my living room. And the rug belongs to the house that I am renting... I yelled at him but he stood there with his big ears as if he didn't do anything wrong. Grrr...Evil or Very Mad

The rug is arranged in such a way that I was able to hide it under the couch. Maybe the landlord won't see it? I feel like I should tell her though!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 1:41 am

Pic or BAN!

Koda ate our landlord's curtains. I don't blame him. They were incredibly ugly. But we told our landlord and he was very grateful we were honest about it. We offered to pay for new ones and we did.

What kind of rug? Is it very expensive? Like a woven one? I live in Amish country- we have a lot of those around here.

Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 2:03 am

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Img_3218

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Img_3219

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Img_3220

Okay, the pictures are a bit blurry, but you can see that it is right below my couch. Not too big of a hole though. You'll notice that I haven't vaccuumed my carpet/rug yet! I'm usually a neat freak...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:56 am

Hmm... that's not so bad. It looks like just a couple of pulls? Actually, if you just snip them at carpet level, you can't even tell. Koda's done that to our rug too. It's not ideal, but it makes it look like it never happened. Our carpet is super old too. I bought it my freshman year in college.

Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 3:51 pm

The pictures aren't the best, there is actually a 1" circular convavity, if that makes sense! So cutting the carpet won't help.
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Ok, so I came home to another mishap in Gunny's crate. This time it was vomit. I didn't get to take a picture before I cleaned up, but the vomit was clear with some white. I smelled it and for sure it wasn't pee. But Gunny seemed and still does seem fine. Maybe the lighting earlier scared him. But what do I watch out for?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Hmm... how long had it been since he's eaten? If his temperament is normal, I wouldn't worry about it. I ask about the food because it could be a "hunger puke". If it was just white and frothy, it's just bile and should be okay. Just keep an eye on him. If he does it again, I would put a call into the vet.

Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 pm

I feed him in the morning before I go to work. I fed him at about 6:30am today and came home at 5:30ish. I always leave two small bowls of dry dog food and water in the crate as well as one kong filled with peanut butter and another kong with dry bone. He always eats the peanut butter but for some reason leaves alone the dry food and the dry bone most days. I have since then fed him his dinner and he's gotten out both of his kongs and finally ate the dry bone. He's super active now.
Back to top Go down
harmonytime
Acoustic Howler
harmonytime

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Quote :
I felt bad about getting him in the crate yesterday, had to practically drag him into there. He seemed shaken up but happy when I got home. Is he gonna hate me for putting him in the crate everyday?

Evo used to HOWL and SCREAM (guess that's his Husky side) when we put him in the kennel until we started feeding him in the kennel. Now he will "kennel up" when told, lays right down and doesn't complain at all. You really should try the raw food route - if you have a small restaurant you go to on a regular basis and you are on good terms with the owner, ask if they can get you meats at a discount. We have a Buffalo Wings place in the Orlando area where we've become great friends with the owner and he gets us whole chickens for $0.86 a pound! So my point is - he was reluctant on kibble (for the little time we tried it) but runs in for raw food (when he's hungry).
Back to top Go down
harmonytime
Acoustic Howler
harmonytime

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:03 pm

Koda wrote:
To be honest... we tried everything and Koda doesn't like bedding in his crate. He prefers a hard, flat surface. We don't put anything in there anymore cause he destroyed everything Embarassed I think he likes it like that though. He always seems very happy when we come to get him out.

You could also try carpet squares. Koda doesn't mind the carpet to lay on, so maybe Gunny is the same way. I think a lot of it just has to do with the heat. They don't like an insulated surface.

Evo doesn't like anything in his crate, either. He's destroyed it all! He's so heavy he broke the black plastic tray so we replaced it with wood. My husband covered the wood with peel and stick tiles that lasted about 2 hours and when Evo came out, he was COVERED with pieces of tile. So I would suggest, NO to carpet tiles - although a great idea! LOL

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Evo_th10

We've also found that Evo likes a really large rope - I've never seen a dog so in love with rope toys but it keeps him occupied for hours. You may want to try that in the kennel as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*   Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09* - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gunny-New dog owner *Updated 6/23/09*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2