It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ticks already :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Ticks already :( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Eesh! That sounds awful! I feel like I should keep Dizzy in a bubble until the advantix gets here!
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:25 pm

[quote="wpskier222"]Yikes! Dizzy has been scratching a lot, and I did as thorough a check as I could last night, with a wiggling puppy. Also gave him a bath and it was easier to look when he was wet. I didn't see anything, but I ordered advantix today. quote]

Same with Meeka, no fleas, and no ticks but she still scrathes herself. I took her to the vet but nada, no test were performed. They believe since I live in a dusty area (corner house in busy street) that she is having an allergic reaction to too much dust and therefore scratching.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Interesting. I'll see if the chicken elimination helps... I didn't think of dust, there is a ton of dust where we live. I sort of gave up trying to deal with it. Maybe I should start trying again lol.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Keri, thats what i keep saying WHERE are they coming from!!!!

Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 10:04 pm

I don't know if since it's from the start of the season or not, but the one's I've been finding are absolutely tiny. Smaller than a head of a pin. You can feel them on you but they're difficult to see. Just look like little freckles.

Though I'm having the same issue as you Keri and Jennifer, I don't know where they're coming from because they seem to be multiplying days and days after being somewhere we're exposed to ticks. All I can think is that they were on the dogs and somehow got off without attaching and now are roaming around.. Neutral
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 11:03 pm

It's peak tick season right now with the nymphs out, i haven't seen any of them but they're practically impossible to find. There haven't been any on the girls but we haven't gone anywhere to get any. When i went to Toledo to bowl in the woman's state tournament i got 3 big ones in my hair after playing in the woods. Then when i went to the barn and the horses were out in the big pasture i found one on my leg afterwards. I hate bugs. I've had the creepy crawlies since. pale
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 11:45 pm

I took the kids hiking to Caesar's Creek, never found any on them but one tried to jump on me affraid I've been having nightmares ever since.. I hate ticks Sad
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 am

It was mentioned that the oils are toxic for cats, how toxic are we talking? We have an indoor outdoor cat well kitten really, would i end up killing him if i used the oils on the dogs collars and harnesses? I wouldnt be putting anything on the cats stuff but i would like to use the oils on the dogs since we have them around a three year all the time and i never had luck with the topical stuff actually drying.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 am

I use lavender and rose geranium on my dogs without issue with the cats. I won't use tea tree...too toxic
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 am

So long as the cats aren't coming in contact with the oils or the collars/harnesses with the oils they should be fine. I've never had a problem with using the oils on my dogs in the same house as cats.

Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Ok thanks! Wouldnt want to harm the kitten, but he usually avoids the dogs cause their too rough with him so I'll have to look for a store that carries the oils this weekend. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:15 pm

I have not tried this product personally but have read rave reviews about it, safe to use on humans as well...along the same lines as what others were saying, uses essential oils...idk how much money oils are buying them separately as I have never done so...
http://www.aromadog.com/products/flea-flicker.php
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ticks already :(   Ticks already :( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ticks already :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2