It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Almost lost Sierra last night

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Almost lost Sierra last night Empty
PostSubject: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 1:44 pm

So we are walking the dogs last night and I have Jack and Ken has Sierra and I have decided that if I ever got lost as long as I have her with me I will never go hungry cause she seems to find every piece of food there is left on the ground while on our walks. last night she re-found the fun sized payday bar in the grass and started eating it. ken was pulling on her leash for her to drop it but he did not know better and the only way to get food from her is to sick your hand in there and pull it out! well he bent down to do that and she quickly ate the bar and wrapper and backed out of her collar and took off!!!! she stayed on the side walk but crossed the street and I got up and yelled SIERRA COME and she stopped looked at me and stayed but would not come back. so I yelled again and she jumped in the air and though this was a game! I slowly walked toward still yelling and she just looked and me and walked farther up the street! so I got done on to one knee and yelled for her to come and she did, right to me and let me put her collar on. so why did she come when I got down to her level? I'm just glad to know we have 2 dogs that kind of listen to us and don't take off but then again they were not chasing anything and I'm sure if that happened they would not listen to us.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 1:56 pm

There's probably a few reasons why kneeling down works so well. Lucky you I'm willing to speculate based on things I've learned. First, dogs have a narrow band of focused vision in their visual field. Basically right across the middle from left to right. Kneeling down puts you more in focus. Second, your standing posture and sounds probably convey an image of stress, anxiety and extreme energy thus inviting play. Most of the behaviors offered by dogs are based on a litany of social learning processes including your outline in posture.

¿How much training have you done with them? ¿Did you do recall stuff with that trainer?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 2:09 pm

I have to say we suck at training! we did work on sit stay and come with the trainer and I try to use it every day like when we are back from the walks they run in the house and I call them back to get the leash off and when needing to go outside I make them sit before opening the door and sitting to have their leash put on and before any treat. we are good on the sitting but still not good on the right away coming back to us or even the staying part or walking with out pulling. I should just send them to your house for a week or two!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 2:38 pm

You have to start the recall small like that in the house, then the backyard, then front yard, then the sidewalk, then a park, then a busy parking lot, then a busy public event all the while adding distractions from low level stuff on the ground to the free rabbit I need. A 50 foot lead is essential in my opinion. Not to reel the dog back, but to give them the sense that they are out the range of the leash. I still haven't solidified my own dogs' recall, because of the same lack of temptations. When I do go about finishing that, it will be something I do EVERY day for a few weeks no matter what.
Back to top Go down
shadow
Newborn
Newborn
shadow

Male Join date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 12:23 pm

Have you looked into no-slip collars yet?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 12:55 pm

we have not looked into no-slip collars for her and I know the collar was lose on her since her fur is so thick it always looks like it is to tight on her but not really, she has never been one to back out like she did I think it was because my husband was holding her and she still does not trust him much, good thing I was with them as I don't think she would have come back to him without me there. thanks for the suggestion
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:30 pm

I still say train the bitch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost Sierra last night   Almost lost Sierra last night Empty

Back to top Go down

Almost lost Sierra last night

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1