It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Snow White wrote:
Do I want a healthy animal? Of course I do but I think it's only fair that I at least go see this farm for myself before making snap judgements. Especially since everyone I have talked to that has gone with this breeder has said nothing but good things about the animals.

Just remember that just becuase all the puppies look healthy and the place is nice and clean, doesn't mean that her dogs ARE healthy. Some dogs do not show their health issues until much later in life. My first husky, who I just recently lost, didn't start showing his health issues from bad breeding until he was 10 years old. I lost him 10 months after the first sign of the declining health. I should have had at least a good 4 more years with him. If these very knowledgeable members are telling you she has all these red flags, then you should take notice. No one here wants to prevent you from getting a puppy. They just want to make sure you get one from a breeder who is doing right by the breed.
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 pm

26nikita wrote:
Snow White wrote:
Do I want a healthy animal? Of course I do but I think it's only fair that I at least go see this farm for myself before making snap judgements. Especially since everyone I have talked to that has gone with this breeder has said nothing but good things about the animals.

Just remember that just becuase all the puppies look healthy and the place is nice and clean, doesn't mean that her dogs ARE healthy. Some dogs do not show their health issues until much later in life. My first husky, who I just recently lost, didn't start showing his health issues from bad breeding until he was 10 years old. I lost him 10 months after the first sign of the declining health. I should have had at least a good 4 more years with him. If these very knowledgeable members are telling you she has all these red flags, then you should take notice. No one here wants to prevent you from getting a puppy. They just want to make sure you get one from a breeder who is doing right by the breed.
That's very true, and I appreciate everyone's input I really do. I'm sorry if I seem on the defensive, I just want a husky puppy so badly. I've been going to the pound every chance I get for over a year looking and looking and they never have any puppies. Sibes have been my favorite breed since I was 4 and I used to tie my jump round around myself and my friends and pretend to mush. All I want is the chance to raise one myself and I feel like I'm so close to that but so far away. It's breaking my heart. ;'(

I've just contacted Innisfree Kennels, hopefully they will let me buy a pup.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Innisfree is a great kennel. You will probably (maybe) end up on a waiting list. But they really are an awesome kennel and they are very much worth the wait - those dogs.

I wouldn't give that other kennel a second glance at all go through Innisfree and get on a waiting list - it is totally worth it to have a pup from them.

PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Good luck! Innisfree has some goooorgeous dogs!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm

I completely understand! I am not the most patient person in the world either. Once I make a decision I like to move on it quick, but in a case like this, you will not regret waiting for the right puppy! I can't tell you how heartbreaking it was to watch my Dakota go through seizures and cry out in pain from his Hip Dysplasia and the final heartbreak of seeing him pass away right infront of me during a seizure. I do not wish that on anyone and neither do any of these other good folks on here. Let us know what you find out from Innisfree! We will be just as excited as you when you get your furbaby!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 am

I'm so happy you're going with a great breeder! bounce

Being patient is so important when purchasing a new puppy. We rushed thing's when we got Hayden and HAD to have one right away and now we are paying the price for it (literally). I've spent over $1,000 alone in just training for my unsocialized, skittish, very fearful, pup! He hates children and has been around them everyday since I brought him home at 7 weeks and has bit twice (not in a friendly way) so now he's become a liability for me and my business. I work with him CONSTANTLY 7 days a week trying to address this issue! If you've seen any of my previous posts you'll see I've spent close to $3,000 already in vet bills. The major bill could have been avoided haha but that's besides the point.

I wish you the BEST of luck with the new breeder and hope you get you're dream puppy soon with no issues! Smile I'm sure with following the great advise of the people on here, you will get an awesome dog! I honestly wish I would have found this forum back when I was first looking for a pup, so you're lucky you have such wonderful people steering you in the right direction!
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

Have you thought about a rescue dog, instead of buying from a breeder? With that, you'll be able to pick out the dog you want based on color/mask/eye color (to a point), as well as help fix the problem of dogs already needing homes.

For someone who wants a dog "right now," I'd suggest it as a great point. It took us less than 2 weeks from application to bringing Dante home from pet harbor. Granted, we were willing to work with them an answer all of their questions quickly and get someone to view our home right away. When we went to pick up Dante, they did have a puppy, as well as a few other Sibes under 1 year old.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 am

Speaking of Pet Harbor- I saw the new listing on there with Gabriela the white Husky. OMG she is GORGEOUS!!! I so wish we had the room to adopt her Sad
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 am

I have no idea what breeder my Ranger boy originated from as I rescued him from a man who was deploying and he got him from a rescue league in Chicago. BUT I will tell you that I'm pretty much on the same page as Nirayas's Bella with him.

He's approaching 3 and I'm thankful for every day I have with him. The vets tell me he will not live to be an old dog and cannot tell me his expected lifespan. He has an enlarged heart, a grade 2-3 heart murmur and a Peritoneal Diaphragmatic Hernia, his intestines wrap around his heart. He is one example of why you can't go look at a breeders dogs and say "They LOOK healthy". Looking at him and watching him play running around the yard or being the lead sled dog on my team you would NEVER guess that he had anything wrong with him. But he does and I would bet money he originated out of some mill that just cranks out puppies and has no health clearances on their dogs.

PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 Campnpack011
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 am

I have considered adoption, yes. A lot of the pretty dogs out there are female, and I'm firm that I want a male. I have been looking at Rooney from pet harbor and haven't ruled him out just yet. I like his bi eyes, but I'm not a huge fan of reds. But I'd really rather a puppy.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:12 am

Snow White wrote:
I have considered adoption, yes. A lot of the pretty dogs out there are female, and I'm firm that I want a male. I have been looking at Rooney from pet harbor and haven't ruled him out just yet. I like his bi eyes, but I'm not a huge fan of reds. But I'd really rather a puppy.

Sometimes their loving personality mean's more than look's. Remember, it's the inside that counts! But, I do understand where you're coming from as far as being happy with looks. I wasn't a huge fan of the red's until I saw one in person and found out how BEAUTIFUL they are! You should really go look! Their event calendar say's that will be in Springfield, VA in 2 weeks (April 21) you should stop by and have a look!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 am

Snow White wrote:
But I'd really rather a puppy.

Puppies aren't all they're cracked up to be, just saying. lol!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 am

arooroomom wrote:
Snow White wrote:
But I'd really rather a puppy.

Puppies aren't all they're cracked up to be, just saying. lol!

100% AGREED! Plus, they only stay small for like 2 weeks!! THEY GROW SO FAST it's unbelievable!
Back to top Go down
BayAreaHuskies
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 am

Adopt.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

MOST dogs in rescue (I hestitate with a blanket statement but most of the ones I've seen) are between 5 months - 2 years. Anyone here will tell you that is STILL a puppy. The only thing you get with a younger puppy is the small size and a LOT more work. They HAVE to pee every 2-3 hours when they are that young. They need CONSTANT supervision and attention.

We got Koda at 7 months... and we completely still feel like we've raised him. He's come SO far and we can still see the difference in him just like we had him from a baby.

Consider adopting. ESPECIALLY for a first time husky owner, it's really important to get the breed experience without the added challenge of a puppy. If you are the LEAST bit inconsistent, a puppy will walk all over you. I will ALWAYS suggest a rescue for your first dog/husky. Once you get that down, welcome in a puppy with open arms and enjoy the challenge. I am SO glad that I did Smile

PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amcooke
Newborn
Newborn
amcooke

Female Join date : 2012-03-12

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:34 am

Also, if you don't have a great deal of time for a husky puppy, they can get out of control really quick. Puppies are SUPER cute, yes, no one can argue with that, but puppies can also be a SUPER pain in the butt. You'll have to deal with teething and housetraining, the two big ones in my opinion. They can be time consuming, and very costly. Another down side is the price of fixing your animal (which I think everyone can kind of agree to do) can be very expensive. I kow here in SD, for a 40 pound dog it's about $150.

Adoptiong a puppy is always a great an option. My youngest dog I adopted when she was 5 months old, so I still got her at the "puppy age." Search for rescues that do just huskies, shelters, and craigslist. People buy huskies all the time and not realizing what they got into, and they just get rid of them. I adopted both of my dogs, and I will never buy a puppy ever again. My family did nothing but buy dogs, but the love and personality you can get from a rescue dog is amazing Smile And you can always find the color you want if you wait, and when you wait you can do more research on the breed and look on youtube (or ask here ;p) for some training tips and hints what to watch for. It never hurts to get more and more info about huskies, that's for sure Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 am

Both of mine were already out of the "OMG ITS SO CUTE" stage, but still under a year, making them moldable! Kya was SUPER easy to train. I still have not been able to get Rio to even sit, but she walks on a leash better than Kya.

IHO, the older puppies, or adult dogs are MUCH better for adopting bc you don't have to deal with all of the puppy behaviors. I never had issues with potty training them, and they don't NORMALLY chew on things that they shouldn't.

Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

I don't work so I have plenty of time for a puppy. Lol, call me crazy but I actually enjoy potty training, teaching a soft mouth and leash walking manners!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Not sure if he's purebred, but he sure is cute! Smile

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22655348
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm

When we adopted Ginger, she came leash trained, potty trained, crate trained, no chewing, no digging. She's very playful when we play, active when we hike, and mellow as mellow can be when at home. We adopted her at about 3.5 years old. She's about 5 now, but still as playful as ever, and everything hubby and I could ever ask for.

She's absolutely perfect and beautiful and didn't cost us hundreds of dollars!

I vote for adopting! (But I also do rescue and I'd rather see a life saved and given a second chance....)

If you really want a puppy from a reputable breeder, you'll have to be patient. I've noticed with the reputable breeders in my state, there are waiting lists because they are not in it to fulfill the demands of people wanting puppies.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 pm

cmanding wrote:
When we adopted Ginger, she came leash trained, potty trained, crate trained, no chewing, no digging. She's very playful when we play, active when we hike, and mellow as mellow can be when at home. We adopted her at about 3.5 years old. She's about 5 now, but still as playful as ever, and everything hubby and I could ever ask for.

She's absolutely perfect and beautiful and didn't cost us hundreds of dollars!

I vote for adopting! (But I also do rescue and I'd rather see a life saved and given a second chance....)

Totally Agree. Although our girl cost $350, which seemed fair since our local rescue vetted, spayed and fostered her.

But yeah, I just don't understand how someone couldn't fall in love with any of the dogs already needing homes.

To me, it's just so heartwarming to see a dog slowly transition from being scared and nervous because of mistreatment to being able to contently nap on the couch upside down and occasionally stretch out, with no more worries in life. Way more rewarding than puppies. I mean I love puppies as much as the next person, don't get me wrong, but I think the connection you can make with an adult or adolescent dog can, in many ways, be way stronger than one with a dog who grew up loved.

It sounds weird to say that, but you have to work harder to earn their trust and respect when they've already been around the block once or twice. I like that about them.

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Nothing more rewarding than saving a life. My Sebo was hours away from euthanasia at the shelter when I brought him home.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 pm

They don't come up as often, but there are actual puppies at rescues sometimes as well. When we got Dante, they had a real (tiny fluff-ball) puppy as well. She said she didn't like dealing with puppies unless she already had a home in mind, because none of the volunteers had the time needed, and they almost always got picked up from the shelters before the rescue even found out about them, but, if you gave them an email or call, they may be able to give you more info or help.

If nothing else, they have a lot of husky experience and may be able to make some breeder suggestions, or at least steer you away from the bad ones they know of.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Snow White wrote:
I don't work so I have plenty of time for a puppy. Lol, call me crazy but I actually enjoy potty training, teaching a soft mouth and leash walking manners!

Your crazy! haha Wink Teaching Kale bite inhibition was a CHORE! lol course I got him at 5 weeks and he was possibly taken from his mom as early as 4 weeks... I had my work cut out for me Shocked lol If you do get a pup, please go to a reputable breeder, who breeds for temperament and health instead of coat and eye color. I got Kale from a BYB/puppy mill, he seemed healthy, active, overall in good condition (after we dewormed and got rid of coccidia...) until he hit around 8-9 months. He started limping on his left front leg; still in the process of trying to figure out why, (CT scans are next on my agenda) and he could possibly get early arthritis because of it. I haven't been able to run him since. I don't want ANYONE to every go through what I'm going through with Kale, or Ceara with Bella, Kristina with Rodeo, Etc. I wish you all the best of luck, and keep us posted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!   PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

PLEASE help me find a breeder in MD!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2