It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What kind of harness?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

harness - What kind of harness? Empty
PostSubject: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm wanting to start taking Chase with us when we go places (the creek, lake, camping, etc) and I need to get him a harness because he can squeeze out of his collar and I don't like that it can choke him if he pulls. Any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm thinking of buying one from Alpine Outfitters. I know a lot of other people from here have gear from them and I've heard good things. Nice and padded, plus very high quality. I just hope I can get mine in pink Laughing
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 am

I love my harness i have for my girls. the brand is Puppia. They can be alittle hard to find. www.puppiaus.com their website is wholesale only but you should be able to find a store through there.

good luck
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 am

i have their soft harnesses
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 am

I wanted to get one from alpine but a lot of ppl on here said it took months to get their harness made.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:31 am

Kong makes a nice sturdy harness for hiking. It is not meant for joring though; the x-backed ones are better for that.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=lNHgte2Q0rxKSM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thisnext.com/shop/steampunk-dog-harness&docid=bD1ZizMaK6QsCM&imgurl=http://s6.thisnext.com/img/shop/1125018.jpg&w=600&h=600&ei=FleCT5LFEevPiAL16Z0a&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=588&sig=113972486555769659008&page=1&tbnh=111&tbnw=121&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:116&tx=83&ty=59&biw=1024&bih=677

Sorry for the long link ^^. That's the model I have for when I hike with Keeonah, and it works very well. The ringlet for attaching the leash is placed well.

Another solid choice is the Ruffwear line of dog harnesses. The Palisades model seems to be among the most popular. They have the packs on them for hauling your pup's things.

Just remember, whichever harness you do decide on, WILL encourage your pup to pull and pull hard. Just make sure you are ready for that. That's why I only use it when we are hiking, or in the snow Smile
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 am

I just saw that about Alpine taking a while too. Hopefully it was just during iditarod season, but I was gonna ask them when I ask about getting it in pink.

I saw a kinda nice Kurgo one on Amazon. I wonder if it'd be decent or not.

I also have a really nice roman-style harness from 3pooches on etsy. She's wonderful and I get all of Ava's collars from her. Its not padded or anything, just a basic harness. But for things where I don't want to encourage her to pull, it works wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 am

I have 2 great walking harnesses from Ezydog.com I love them, they're great and we've had Embrys for over a year and half Smile It's still like new!

I'm still waiting on my harness order from Alpine from the beginning of February...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 am

MyKeeonah wrote:
Just remember, whichever harness you do decide on, WILL encourage your pup to pull and pull hard.

Just to clear the air here, harnesses do not encourage pulling, they only make it easier and more comfortable to do so. It will be the owners responsibility to teach the dog how to behave whether on a collar or harness.

To the OP, what kind of harness you get will depend on what you plan to do with your dog. Different harnesses work better or worse for different applications which is why many of us have more than one. I have one harness for regular walks which I trained my sibe not to pull in. I also have an x back from Alpine Outfitters that my sibe is encouraged to pull in. I think the RuffWear harnesses are nice all around harnesses depending on which you get, that's what I would probably get if I didn't have the harnesses I already have.

Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:46 am

Huskyluv wrote:
MyKeeonah wrote:
Just remember, whichever harness you do decide on, WILL encourage your pup to pull and pull hard.

Just to clear the air here, harnesses do not encourage pulling, they only make it easier and more comfortable to do so. It will be the owners responsibility to teach the dog how to behave whether on a collar or harness.

To the OP, what kind of harness you get will depend on what you plan to do with your dog. Different harnesses work better or worse for different applications which is why many of us have more than one. I have one harness for regular walks which I trained my sibe not to pull in. I also have an x back from Alpine Outfitters that my sibe is encouraged to pull in. I think the RuffWear harnesses are nice all around harnesses depending on which you get, that's what I would probably get if I didn't have the harnesses I already have.

Agreed! I guess the way I should have worded it, is if your husky already has a pulling problem with a collar, moving on to a harness before the pulling is curbed COULD exaggerate the problem. I didn't move on to using a harness until she walked on a loose leash with a collar
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 am

Putting a dog in a harness to specifically target the problem of pulling is kind of silly, as it's been stated harnesses make it easier and more comfortable to pull... which essentially does encourage pulling as it feels more comfortable to do so in it. Positive reinforcement.

My Huskies can squeeze out of an H style harness (which is a typical harness style) with no problem. To eliminate the slipping issue you can use a martingale collar and teach the dog to not pull.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 am

I agree with Kevo! The puppia harness is awesome. He turned me on to them.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:26 am

MyKeeonah wrote:

Just remember, whichever harness you do decide on, WILL encourage your pup to pull and pull hard. Just make sure you are ready for that. That's why I only use it when we are hiking, or in the snow Smile

I must have the weirdest huskies ever. Neither of mine have ANY desire to pull when they have a harness on. lol! scratch
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Myndi wrote:
I just saw that about Alpine taking a while too. Hopefully it was just during iditarod season, but I was gonna ask them when I ask about getting it in pink.

I saw a kinda nice Kurgo one on Amazon. I wonder if it'd be decent or not.

I also have a really nice roman-style harness from 3pooches on etsy. She's wonderful and I get all of Ava's collars from her. Its not padded or anything, just a basic harness. But for things where I don't want to encourage her to pull, it works wonderfully.

Ya it takes forever during the fall-winter season. Now would be a great time, it would take 3-4 weeks, because it is custom!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 6:58 pm

So I would be better off getting the martingale collar? He didn't really pull until he saw a squirrel and pulled backwards and slipped the collar off. I guess at this point any advise is needed lol
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 7:44 pm

martingale collars are great for preventing back outs on the leash our rescue sells them http://www.northstarhuskyrescue.org/, and X-back harness he will be able to slip out of even with the added belly band. if you want a harness when you know he will not back out of go with Ruffwear,http://www.backcountryk9.com/104/0/Products.aspx
and if you know your going to be hiking go for the extra $ and get http://www.backcountryk9.com/95/0/Products.aspx
cant beat the sale prices! or get the new one http://www.backcountryk9.com/354/0/Products.aspx
and get 20% off right now with the code

Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Thank you to everyone for the info! I just want my baby to be safe.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:27 am

My little escape artist can't escape out of this : Ruffwear webmaster http://www.backcountryk9.com/354/0/Products.aspx
She's been pretty good about her regular harness, though and hasn't try to escape since she settled in and realizes she's in her forever home. We just ordered one of the harnesses that clip in the front to discourage pulling.

I also just saw a tip today to put a carabiner on your harness and clip it to their collar so that you have a backup just in case they out of out one, or one breaks. Great idea!
Back to top Go down
TiresmokinV8
Newborn
Newborn
TiresmokinV8

Male Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 pm

I have a regular collar for her tags and a chest harness both of which she'll pull like a mule and ends up choking herself to the point where shes gagging so I bought a gentle leader and use it wwhenever we go places and for walks. She doesnt pull at all with it and makes it much easier.
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 pm

TiresmokinV8 wrote:
I have a regular collar for her tags and a chest harness both of which she'll pull like a mule and ends up choking herself to the point where shes gagging so I bought a gentle leader and use it wwhenever we go places and for walks. She doesnt pull at all with it and makes it much easier.

I am going to look into that! I don't want him to choke himself if/when he does pull.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Where is the best place to get an xback harness is a timely manner?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 pm

You can order x-back harnesses from either Adanac Sleds or Nordkyn.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:14 am

http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/newsite/freedom-no-pull-harness.htm

Check that one out I it is what Delilah uses and it's amazingit doesnt hurt her but it will tighten around the chest to remind her not.to pull. We hook both clasps to the martingale style ring and its amazing. 4 other people at our dog park have purchased it for their huskies since we brought Delilah in it and not actually a single one has backed out. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 am

I want one for pulling Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Adanac and Alpine are good and its off season now.

PostSubject: Re: What kind of harness?   harness - What kind of harness? Empty

Back to top Go down

What kind of harness?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next