It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Question About My Huskies Behavior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

Question About My Huskies Behavior Empty
PostSubject: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:29 pm

I am the proud owner of a 2 year old purebred husky that I was lucky enough to find at the local animal shelter. sunny

My partner and I volunteer regularly and had decided to go in to walk some dogs so that we could get a little extra exercise and as soon as I walked into the "dog room," my eyes landed [and stayed] on this beautiful black and white dog sitting in the back kennel, howling quietly as all the other dogs proceeded to bark at the tops of their lungs. I imagined she was only doing it because she didn’t like all the noise, so I took her out first. Not 5 minutes after walking outside, my attempt at being a good citizen turned into a prospective adoption visit.

We bonded immediately and she stole my heart with her vocal responses to everything I said out loud. Needless to say, I cleared the adoption screening and picked her up the next morning.

Mind you, this is the first husky [and first purebred] I have ever owned, so the night before I took her home I read a lot of online articles and bought the book Siberian Huskies for Dummies to educate myself on what to expect for temperament. Mind you, she was extremely calm at the shelter, especially compared to all the other dogs that were jumping around and tugging at their leashes. Naturally, I attributed this to her dislike of her surroundings at the time and expected when she come into a quieter and more comfortable setting, her mood and activity level would perk up, taking on more of the husky-like characteristics I read about in the book.

Surprisingly enough, even after a week in her new home, she still acts the same. I read up on the behavioral screening they did on her when she was initially brought in and, on a scale from 1 – 10, she scored a 0 for aggressiveness, an 8 for friendliness and a mere 1 for playfulness. I also read all her veterinary records [she saw the vet 3 times; once for a checkup, once to get spayed and once to follow up after the procedure] and she was given a clean bill of health each time. So I’m not so much worried about the fact that she’s so calm as I am curious as to whether or not anyone else out there has a Siberian Husky who has a similar calm demeanor that borders on lethargic.

I mean, she loves sticking by my side and carrying on conversations as well as long walks [she’s not a fan of going much faster than a trot] but her lack of interest in fetching a ball or playing tug-of-war surprises me.

This is my Colby
Question About My Huskies Behavior IMG_1130
Question About My Huskies Behavior 004
Question About My Huskies Behavior 015

Last edited by lizzyduhh on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Welcome, and thanks so much for adopting!

Most Huskies are pretty hyper, but there are definitely some out there who are not. Being a rescue and not knowing what kind of a background she has, it could take up to 6 months for her true personality to show through. We've got loads of members here who have rescued, and they'll all say the same thing.

Sounds like you've got an awesome girl on your hands, and be sure to get her out and do training and socialization.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Question About My Huskies Behavior 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm

congrats on having your heart stolen! they tend to do that Wink what your describing is normal for a week and like Meredith said and i can agree with (having 2 rescues) it could take a few weeks to a few months for her to show her true husky ways, or you just got lucky with a clam one (might not be so lucky on the next) and yes be ready for getting that 2nd one down the road, it happens! most of our sibs could care less with playing fetch or tugging rope, they are better at finding hidden toys or tearing them up, they like the mental games! have you started on some training?

Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:57 pm

[not quite sure how to reply to replies yet, lol]

to blueeyedghost- we have another rescue [a lab/beagle/god-knows-what-else] and they get along great. we've also gone to dog parks and she has no problem with any other animals [except my kitten shes terrified of lol] and she seems to know all the basic commands [sit/stay/come/lay down] pretty well already. we do practice them all every day though.

to jbealer- i have already discussed with my roommate about getting another husky as a companion for her in the near future [the lab mix stays at my moms house because he's 15] and we decided it was a must. im in love with the breed already Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Yep, ditto here! Ended up with 2 within a year of adopting the first one!

My 2 are mellow! It took Ginger about 6 months to fully settle in and show her true personality. It took Storm 9 months to settle in. However, with both, I'd say within a couple of months, you'll know their personality pretty well.

Ginger has no interest in toys whatsoever, until another (other than Storm) has a toy. She'll then take and put her paw on it, and do nothing else with it, except lay next to it.

Storm likes balls and likes to play tug, but he looses interest with either pretty quick.

When we're out and about, they both seem more alert, but at home, you may see them as lethargic.

What you're describing is normal, I think. It'll take some time for Colby to settle in, and his personality may just be what it is right now. Or he may get more playful.

I'd say you've found yourself a good one!

Can't wait to hear more about Colby as he settles in more in his new forever home!

Thank you for rescuing, congratulations on the new furry four-legged addition to your family, and welcome!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Ha ha the old can't have just one syndrome. Huskies are like kids one is like a dream come true then when you fall head over heels in love with em you get another. Then next all hell breaks loose, but its still fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Congrats on your new addition and thank you for rescuing. She's cute! I agree with Meredith and Jenn that it can take a few weeks or months for a rescue to settle in. I am one of the ones with a calm husky. He's a rescue, approximately two years old, and we've had him for almost a year now. It did take him a few months to settle in but he is still very calm. He gets excited about puppies, but that's about it, and he has no interest in toys. Afaik most huskies aren't that keen on retrieving, but some dogs have to be taught to play or learn from copying other dogs, especially if they aren't used to having toys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:19 pm

She is gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Is Colby a boys name? Lol everyone I tell the name to starts the sentence to follow with, "He's ---" Its kind of funny Laughing

to cmanding- thanks for the welcome and, that way things are looking already, i plan on being a husky parent for life. Initially i wanted an all black German Shepherd because i love that breed as well, but Colby had put huskies in first place for sure.

to Here4thePics- i definitely prefer dogs over kids lol

to Ghost- she loves running next to my other dog and seems content with that. when he tries to get her going [the lab in him keeps him acting like a pup even though he's 15 lol] she kind of grunts and walks closer to me. she does respond to squeaky toys by howling, wagging her tail and licking the toy, but then shes done with it lol
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:24 pm

to evelazquez - thank you! your little one looks like he/she is going to grow up to be one handsome dog
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Hell, every picture of every dog i've seen on here so far are so gorgeous... i'm thinking the next will have to be red lol
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:27 pm

lizzyduhh wrote:
Hell, every picture of every dog i've seen on here so far are so gorgeous... i'm thinking the next will have to be red lol

I've fallen for the reds as well, and I just wish I could convince the Hubby to let me get another one. He says we can't have 3 dogs (we have a Cocker Spaniel too).

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Question About My Huskies Behavior 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Ive been searching images to see of theres such thing as an all black husky but i havent been able to find any pictures of a purebred
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 pm

lizzyduhh wrote:
Ive been searching images to see of theres such thing as an all black husky but i havent been able to find any pictures of a purebred

Welcome and thank you for rescuing Smile. Mostly black coat Siberians do exist. You most likely will not find a truly "all black" Siberian but there are Siberians that are predominantly black. Technically there are very few differences between the traditional black and white irish and the black coats but there are a few and quite obvious differences.

Question About My Huskies Behavior Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 pm

to Niraya - rescuing is always the best way Smile and i have come across the mostly black ones. the whole idea behind the all black german shepherd was to get as close to a black wolf as possible [childhood fantasy, lol] and the loyalty of the breed itself, ive had hands on experience with a couple people in my extended family owning them.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Congrats on adopting! She's a doll! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 pm

we have kitty on here that is a all black sibe Smile
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1830-luka-and-kitty?highlight=kitty

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm

lizzyduhh wrote:
So I’m not so much worried about the fact that she’s so calm as I am curious as to whether or not anyone else out there has a Siberian Husky who has a similar calm demeanor that borders on lethargic.

I mean, she loves sticking by my side and carrying on conversations as well as long walks [she’s not a fan of going much faster than a trot] but her lack of interest in fetching a ball or playing tug-of-war surprises me.

My 2 year old, Kya, was given to my girlfriend and I. She too is a very calm girl. She doesn't fetch, she doesn't play tug of war, she plays with the other husky and our mutt at times, but she would rather be laying on the floor near me, or walking on the beach.

As long as she is getting her excerize and the love she needs, I wouldn't worry about her being calm. I'm realizing, the more I chat with people, that every husky is different. There is no "Typical" husky!

lol!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Maggie is a malamute so I am not much help. mals tend to be more calm than huskies. I have the worlds calmest pup! lol

anyway she is sooo cute! Hey it is better to have a calm husky than a wild one! I have clients in my pet sitting that would give anything for their husy to be calm.
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Niko is allegedly a mix and he is SUCH a lazy banana in the house. He lays around and sleeps 80% of the day. If we didn't have our other dog for him to annoy and chase around, he probably wouldn't run around the yard either, unless I chase him (and I don't like to do that since if he ever gets loose, I don't want him to think it's ok to run away from me).

We've had our rescue for about 9mo now, and he gets pretty revved up (for him) when the kids start getting rowdy and running/yelling through the house, and also when my husband gets home from work. We get more howling and prancing around then......

But, as others have said, I would give her more time to settle in before assuming she's super-calm. Niko took a good 4mo to settle in, and then gave us a good hard test at the 6mo mark that almost landed him back in the rescue we got him from. WELCOME and good luck!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
lizzyduhh wrote:

I've fallen for the reds as well, and I just wish I could convince the Hubby to let me get another one. He says we can't have 3 dogs (we have a Cocker Spaniel too).

Yay! Both of you should add a red! Sabaka is my second red (I went to get the black and white female and got this guy). I still want a black and white female, but not right now...

I would guess your girl will soon begin to feel more at home and become more active. She is beautiful! I also picked my first girl out of a muddy pen of writhing, barking lab puppies because she was not barking and looking all pitiful. They know how to steal your heart for sure!
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:15 pm

My first husky was a recuse she was red. She was about 5 years old and very calm she never placed with toys never had to crate her she never tore anything up. She like to sleep go for walks with or without me...lol and chew on pens and pencils.
Thor my husky now is my 3rd and he is everything my first husky wasn't. Very vocal needs a crate eats and destroys everything...lol

Congrats, she is pretty Smile
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 pm

When I rescued snow I was told she was super lazy and did not like to play. She was very mellow the first two weeks...maybe. After she settled in a whole new dog came out lol she loves playing and is more hyper than my greyhound.
I would definitely give her some time to come around Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm

iceblulady wrote:
...and chew on pens and pencils.

Oh my! I have a chewed-up-ink-pen-all-over-brand-new-carpet story! Our first husky liked pens and pencils too!

We bought the carpet with a credit card and had yet to make the first payment...

We were not happy!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
iceblulady wrote:
...and chew on pens and pencils.

Oh my! I have a chewed-up-ink-pen-all-over-brand-new-carpet story! Our first husky liked pens and pencils too!

We bought the carpet with a credit card and had yet to make the first payment...

We were not happy!

Our brand new wood floor has black ink blots that resemble the Rorschach test all over the dining area. Rio chewed up a pen while I was at school. I was sooo angry and I haven't found a way to get it up yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question About My Huskies Behavior   Question About My Huskies Behavior Empty

Back to top Go down

Question About My Huskies Behavior

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next