It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A question for those who have adopted.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

A question for those who have adopted.  Empty
PostSubject: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 am

How long did it take before your adopted adult husky to start eating regularly?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:17 am

That depends on the individual. With my sibe it was a few days, with my chi girls it was about a week or two.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 6:29 am

My boy had some issues the first few days.. after a couple of days he was eating but he only ate once a day for several months ( suspect he only wants to eat in the evening when it is hot) He is beginning to want to eat only once a day again now that is it getting hot again.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:10 am

I didn't have any problems with either of my two, but eating and anxiety are perfectly normal. I'd give the dog a couple of weeks before I'd be concerned.

The important part is consistency. Don't change things up. Stick to the same routine from day 1 until your dog starts eating normally. Most dogs are NOT eating because they are stressed. Once they see that every day, they are fed and offered the same food, they will stop "worrying" and start to feel more comfortable. Don't make any significant changes to diet until your dog is settled.

A question for those who have adopted.  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am

Isis ate right away with no issues. Dante had very red and raw gums, so we had to make a kibble soup for him to get him to eat it for the first week, then slowly backed off the amount of chicken stock to kibble.

Now he's eating raw and happily crunching bones with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 am

Rio didn't eat for like a week. She didn't potty either for like 3 days.
Back to top Go down
KitR
Puppy
Puppy
KitR

Female Join date : 2012-03-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 am

It took about a week and a half for Alice to eat regularly, but she also had worms and was going through all of that. Our coonhound didn't eat for the first few days and had digestive issues for about the first month he was with us (he was kind of an emotional mess).
Back to top Go down
mahan.donna
Newborn
Newborn
mahan.donna

Female Join date : 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 am

Chubby would nibble at his food, one eye on the food....one eye on us for the first few days. After that he would eat with no problem. But as I've found out by reading up on Huskies, they sometimes will miss a day or two. He does this once in awhile, as long as he's drinking & doesn't go past 2 days, I know it's just a Husky trait.

Congratulations on your new addition.....Huskies are the best! Laughing
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 am

it took river about 2-3 weeks and several different foods later tell he found one he liked with raw eggs in it and meat from the butcher
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am

i cant remember.... that makes me think we did not have any issues, we just dealt with soft stool from Jack for like a few months till i found this site and learned about grain free. then no issues after the switch.

Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Thank you all who replied. She ate her first bowl of kibble yesterday and today had just a few bites before my lab mix ate the rest Laughing

It comforts me to know this is somewhat normal.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Cali- DAYS, she would only eat maybe a cup an entire day for about a week or so, then started to get "normal" for her which is eat one meal and half another.

Mika- you give her food, she eats it. She will finish cali's if i would let her.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 pm

My Eurohound took literally 6 months to finally eat normally. I tried everything under the sun to get her to eat, different foods, adding meat, different bowls, feeding at different times of the day, feeding less, withholding food for a day, etc. Sometimes she would eat and sometimes she wouldn't. Finally one day, it's like a switch clicked on--she just started eating her food and has been a pretty good eater ever since.

My husky that I just got a few months ago ate like she would never see food again the first day I brought her home. She wasn't deprived of food, she just enjoys it immensely. Wink

All of the others were normal. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:06 pm

It definitely depends on the individual dog. My female (Lola) took quite some time to start eating regularly. Part of it was nerves; part was she was on a crappy food (Science Diet) when I first got her as a foster. My male (Harlen) ate pretty good from day one (although he had been in another foster home for a while)
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question for those who have adopted.    A question for those who have adopted.  Empty

Back to top Go down

A question for those who have adopted.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1