It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Options on this??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:33 pm

So, Rio is my little cuddle bug, but she has started tearing up stuff in the house when we aren't there. I know it is probably seperation anxiety, but we can't crate her.. here is why:

She chewed through 2 plastic crates and a wire crate.

We can't find ANYTHING to hold her. She gets out of EVERYTHING. We put her in the garage, hoping that at least she wouldn't be able to tear up anything but she came in the cat door an then JUMPED the gate between the ding/living room and the kitchen.

I thought about putting on one of those invisible fence things in the garage and maybe that would keep her from coming into the house when we aren't home. She still doesn't like treats, she chews the rawhides and bones super fast, and I am having issues getting her trained because she wont take treats. She also was not afraid of me before, and (I have never yelled at HER) now when I call her, or walk towards her, she will go hide under the coffee table or will cower.

Could all of this be from her previous owners' treatment?? I really DON'T know what happened to her, and the lady seemed nice enough, but she is so afraid to take treats, even when the other dogs take them, and she is now acting like she is afraid of me.

I'm so confused scratch

ETA: She LOVES LOVES LOVES being in the same room with me, she won't go to bed until I do, and she always wants to be cuddled with me. So it confuses me that when I call her, or come towards her, she cowers as though I am going to hit her or something.
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Try training her with her dinner, on an empty stomach.

I'm guessing she's never been crate trained. I would suggest trying to crate train her yourself. Buy a crate, put her in it and just watch her. Make a loud "EH EH" sound or "No" if she starts to chew. When she lays down or sits quietly in the crate, toss her a few pieces of kibble. It will be a long process but it's worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm

She doesn't eat kibble, she is on raw, and she will eat just fine in her kennel. We have cut up her food in sections and fed it to her as she is being good in the kennel. The problem is she is eating her way OUT of the kennel. That's what i don't know how to stop. If I'm not home (IE: at school) I can't stop her from eating out of the kennel. and it's not a "well she can't be doing it that fast" thing. She was literally out of her kennel in 20 minutes. I ran to the gas station, came back and there was a hole in the TOP of the kennel.

ETA: It's really hard to explain, and I've tried to get it on video, but if she sees me, she is quiet. She doesn't potty in the crate or anything like that, she just screams like some one is hurting her, and then in a few minutes, she is out of the crate.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm almost positive the crate thing is SA, but the cowering and hiding thing, I'm stumped on.
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 pm

you could try a welded wire kennel in your garage? like this?

they sell additional panels, and you could put a "predator" panel on top so she couldn't jump out. Kinda pricey in my opinion, but better in the long run to keep her and your stuff safe while you figure things out.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:02 pm

She can't stay outside, and that wouldn't fit in my house, Sad

We had one like this:
http://www.bestpetcrates.com/42_Heaviest_Heavy_Duty_Dog_Crate_p/hhc-4230.htm

Not the exact brand, but similar to it, so I'm guessing it was a welded crate? And she broke it. -.-
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't mind her not being crated, because no one is crated at our house, they all behave, but she is tearing up things, and I am afraid that if we have to crate her, for what ever reason, in the future, it will be impossible. None of our dogs are crated, but ALL of them will willingly go into a crate and stay in there, quietly. (except Ms. Diva Dog! Which I am starting to see she really is a Diva.)
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 pm

does she seem genuinely disinterested in the treats? or is she more weary of your hands being around her head and face?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:00 am

http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-Anxiety-Treatment-Large-Heather/dp/B0028QK6EY

Maybe you could try this for anxiety. It sounds like a load of bull, but Delilah has one for fireworks, because she screams like a banshee without it. I don't know why it works, but it does.

Can I ask what kinds of treats you are using? Maybe she just doesn't like them?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Meesh&Dolsei
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-04-11

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:44 am

Tiff&Kya wrote:
So it confuses me that when I call her, or come towards her, she cowers as though I am going to hit her or something.

Walking towards a dog can be a very domineering posture for timid dogs especially if you are giving direct eye contact! When you are cuddling with her, she probably feels in a safer position.

Also I know for wolves and wild animals they use special crates because obviously they can chew through wire and plastic crates in minutes. It is a bit expensive but you can possibly invest in an aluminum metal dog crate. They are virtually indestructible and last forever!

Dolsei hated most dog treats when I first got him and I got him all the expensive treats from the specialty dog store! But my trainer suggested training with wet cat food and it worked like a charm. Try steak pieces or something meaty. And when you are giving treats, try kneeling down to the dog's level. Call her name. Offer the treat in your hand but turn your head away from the dog.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 1:00 am

friendly bump! I don't want this topic to go un-discussed!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

Options on this?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Options on this??   Options on this?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Options on this??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1