It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Plays Too Rough

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alindaris
Newborn
Newborn
Alindaris

Female Join date : 2012-04-17

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 pm

My boy LOVES other dogs. Drake has never growled at another dog, raised his hackles, showed his teeth, or anything like that. He doesn't even bark at them. He just sniffs them, gets excited, and invites them to play.

I exercise Drake with a walk before we go to the dog park, but as soon as we get there he finds inner reserves of energy I didn't know he had. He barely remembers I exist! When we finally get inside the park, he is full of doggie bliss as he meets other dogs. But as soon as they start playing, it's like he forgets himself and starts playing rough with them. He will put his paw on their backs, growl in a playful manner (but it still scares other dog owners), and chase any dog that starts to run. Sometimes he will actually push the other dog with his paw when they run, as if he is playing tag, causing the other dog to roll on the ground and get frightened.

I want for Drake to be able to play with other dogs, as he enjoys it so much. I just want to teach him somehow to be "paws off" and gentle when he does so. How can I begin to train him for this?

Thanks!
Deanna
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:09 pm

my only advice would be to connect with other husky/mal owners in the area. The reality is that huskies play pretty rough by nature. It looks really worrying to owners of golden retrievers lets say, but huskies are strong and athletic, and play a little differently than other dogs. Explaining this to other owners is useless of course Plays Too Rough 85993

The dog park i go to has a pretty high amount of huskies, so on any given day keeonah has a few dogs to play rough with. She is though, a petite husky, so she can't play too rough with other dogs, or she ends up being the one on her a** Razz

A trained eye can see the difference between play and aggression, and it sounds like you have that. It's not your pups fault, it's the other misinformed owners. Welcome to the world of the husky Smile
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Sounds like normal ol' play to me. If I wanted to stop it I'd remove him from the fun as soon as he does behavior you don't approve of, with 100% consistency. Personally I wouldn't stop what it sounds like is happening.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:38 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
Personally I wouldn't stop what it sounds like is happening.

+1

only sometimes can I call keeonah off of play, and why would you? They're there to get their wiggles out and have fun. Sounds like he prolly is Wink
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Everything you described is very typical Siberian Husky play. They are not a gentle breed when it comes to playing. They have a very down and dirty - vocal play style which is why many people who don't know the breed or their traits confuse it with aggression.

The only time I would remove Bella from a situation is when a smaller dog (stature) came in. I don't allow her to fixate on chasing dogs because that can escalate very quickly. I'll allow her to do everything she wants to do until I see the situation escalate or an owner isn't very happy or understanding. Then again where I used to go - they were more keen to tell me just to let her go rather than have me pull her off.

Plays Too Rough Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Also - this is perfectly normal play for Appa. The grunts and growls he emits are quite scary ... at first. Now we're used to it.

Small dogs are no exception to him.
Plays Too Rough 01

Plays Too Rough 02

Notice he has grabbed her by the neck mid-run, ejecting the ball from her mouth while slamming her to the ground. I love watching him play.
Plays Too Rough 03

Plays Too Rough 04

Plays Too Rough 05
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 pm

sounds like normal mal/husky play to me! Everyone else said it better than me! Smile
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Looks normal to me.
Back to top Go down
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Coquito and a German Shepard next door play exactly like that. Other people stop and look thinking they are fighting but leave when they see its actually play. Looks scary if you don't know how sneaky and dirty huskys play.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 1:04 am

I love the pictures of the Appadog at play!

I agree with everyone else, it sounds like normal husky play, so isn't anything to worry about. It is sometimes useful to be able to call a dog out of a play session, but it takes a lot of hard work to make it reliable. If you want to do this, you will need some really high value treats (sausage or something else that he goes crazy for), and also to pick easy moments to begin with. Call him over, give him the treat, and let him go back to play. Pick moments when it seems that he is going to pay attention to you, or is boring of the play, because when he's in the midst of it he probably won't even notice you.

For a rescue dog, the other thing is sometimes that they are used to relationships with other dogs and not necessarily so used to having good relationships with people. The more effort you put into building a positive relationship with him, the more attention he will pay to you. Training sessions using positive methods, and/or a positive use of NILIF, are a great way to do this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Alindaris
Newborn
Newborn
Alindaris

Female Join date : 2012-04-17

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 1:35 am

Ha, I have so much to learn about huskies!
Other owners are either great about it and laugh, or the more common reaction: they fret and ask for their dog to come to them and get away from my dog. :-\ There's just no explaining that my dog just plays that way. Maybe making doggie play dates is a better approach than randomly going to the dog park.
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! I'll just have to associate with owners who understand.
Deanna
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am

rileyflorence wrote:
Notice he has grabbed her by the neck mid-run, ejecting the ball from her mouth while slamming her to the ground. I love watching him play.

lol!!

There are a few puppies at the park we go to, all sorts of breeds, but they've been playing with Luka for a while now and you'd swear they all had husky in em! They've picked up every move of his and now he gets it from them just as much! Theres this one anatolian shepherd who brings him down from his tail, if he can do it quick enough, he jumps to the side, lets her run past and brings her down from the throat, as riley said, its amazing to watch them play - especially because you see how they would tackle prey in the wild. I could watch for hours...
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:09 am

Alindaris wrote:
Ha, I have so much to learn about huskies!
Other owners are either great about it and laugh, or the more common reaction: they fret and ask for their dog to come to them and get away from my dog. :-\ There's just no explaining that my dog just plays that way. Maybe making doggie play dates is a better approach than randomly going to the dog park.
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! I'll just have to associate with owners who understand.
Deanna

Thats exactly what you need to do, stay in contact with those that he plays well with and go down to the park at the same times, thats what we do!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:45 am

That lab mix and Appa have been playing since they were both 5 months old. She dishes it out just as hard as Appa now, except he's bigger and has more weight to throw around. She rough-houses like a Mal though. That's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:45 am

Even my 11 week old husky plays this way, and so does the lab I worried at first but if the lab gets too rough Very Happy the husky runs under a table lol.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Got a video. He's being rather quiet, but I love that he won't even let her stand up.

Back to top Go down
smurfzzz
Newborn
Newborn

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyMon May 07, 2012 4:48 am

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1933134494154

This is one of the mild "rough" play between my 2 huskies. Like rileyflorence's pic, my boy loves to attack the neck and leg area to wrestle the other dog down.

And he is so smart enough to take on puppies and small/med breed dogs. Never once i see my boy takes on a dog bigger size than him.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:33 am

Totally normal play style, you may find certain breeds play similarly. I've found that Boxers in general have the same play style as my sibe but are just a bit less vocal. I love finding Rhodesian Ridgebacks at the dog park because they can almost outrun my sibe and really give him a good workout and although they don't play as rough they seem to tolerate it well or take off running for a game of chase when it's too much.

I hate finding pits, GSD's, and border collies at the park when I go, generally their play style doesn't match and it can cause some unwanted friction between them and my sibe. But c'est la vie.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:32 am

GSD are useless at the dog park. Appa never has fun with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plays Too Rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plays Too Rough   Plays Too Rough Empty

Back to top Go down

Plays Too Rough

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1