It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting Spayed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Getting Spayed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:03 pm

SUPER glad everything went well and theres no murmur

Quote :
Overall the staff was great, friendly and knowledgeable. The techs played with Sura and fed her treats. The Vet was on the floor with her letting her lick his face as he checked her over laughing the whole time.

Sometimes you can't put a price on service / caring. Personally that level of comfort is worth alot to me. I tend to be a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", even though my wallet often doesn't agree Razz

Sounds like you got a REAL winner there.

I'm sure what ever you decide will be fine, and either way I doubt anything would come of it... I just know, in your shoes, who I would be more comfortable with.

The wife would know what we paid, I don't remember but I'll edit the post with a price when she gets home from the concert Razz

~Chris~

ETA - around $340 CND all in, meds and all. It was a normal Spay however. (She was around 30 pounds at the time)

Last edited by Tika on Wed May 09, 2012 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I am glad you found a new vet. Also that Sura got a clean bill of health.
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:53 pm

So happy for you!!! You should always have a good relationship with your vet office and if you don't then always change.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:11 am

YAY! glad to hear that she is healthy and murmur free! I bet you feel so relieved! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:34 am

Snow White wrote:
My one only concern was that their price for a spay is twice what it is at my old vets. They ask $640.00 for a laser spay with blood work, meds etc.

Does that seem like a bit much to you guys? How much did you guys pay for a spay?

I'm glad you got a 2nd opinion!

Personally to me that does sound really high. Although i've only done spays at clinics so my familiarity with pricing is a bit different...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:18 am

Hey Guys! So we were shopping around and found a clinic that is much more reasonably priced for the spay, so we made an appointment for next week. They worked with our schedule so my husband didn't need to take off work which is nice. Yay!

I'll update next Thursday with Sura's cone pictures. XD

Once again I want to thank everyone for their well wishes when we thought Sura's heart was bad. It means a lot. Smile
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 1:28 pm

So nervous! She is getting spayed today!!!

We dropped her off last night at the vets office. It was funny / embarrassing she decided to pee herself in the waiting room when a man approached her to pet her.
I'm not sure if that is submission or fear, but she's been doing that for a few months now when new people approached her. Her ears go back, her head is low, tail wagging and she just pees everywhere.

She didn't go piddle before we left the house so needless to say I had a huge puddle to clean up lol!

We pick her up tomorrow night. I hope she's going to be okay!
*worries*
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Aww she will do great, I'm sure if it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:41 pm

One of the technicians called and said Sura's surgery was a complete success with no problems. Sura is just starting to wake up and everything looks beautiful.

I'M SO HAPPY. I can't wait to pick her up tomorrow! bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:46 pm

All that worrying for nothing Razz Glad to hear she's okay!

Getting Spayed - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

With a laser spay, do they have to be monitored for a longer time period? Not gonna lie, I didn't read all the posts, but Rogue went in at 8, out by 3. Just curious!

So glad she did well and you can relax. I was having panic attacks worrying about Rogue- we went on a hike so I didn't throw myself off our balcony from anxiety. I can't imagine having actual children I birthed, I'd be a hot mess whenever anything was wrong!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Heather! wrote:
With a laser spay, do they have to be monitored for a longer time period? Not gonna lie, I didn't read all the posts, but Rogue went in at 8, out by 3. Just curious!

I don't know if it so much as to do with the surgery itself as much it is the quality of care? At my vet now I'll drop her off at 7 in the morning Friday and I won't be able to get her until mid-day Saturday. At my previous vet she would have come home same day.

Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:15 pm

@heather

Normally they said they would have me drop her off at 7 am on her surgery day, and then she would stay over night. But due to my husbands schedule hours we had to drop her off last night and pick her up tomorrow night after he gets off work.

But regardless of work hours they said it would have been an overnight visit so I'm not sure if it's because it's a laser spay or not.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:19 pm

I paid $500 to spay my lab at my vets, included overnight stay of course, meds, iv fluids, the works, she believes in not taking any chances (of course I agree) so she is a bit pricey. I have no idea what it will cost me to neuter Balon but I hope its less lol. BTW gorgeous GSD!
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Thank you so much! I may be biased but I think she is the prettiest GSD ever. LOL.

I should probably make a scrapbook thread for her.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

That's so funny how much more common staying at the vet overnight is... Honestly I would rather have them home. Maybe that's just me? Unless the vet is open 24 hours or has actual night staffing (not just someone checking on them at some point during the night.)

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:24 pm

arooroomom wrote:
That's so funny how much more common staying at the vet overnight is... Honestly I would rather have them home. Maybe that's just me? Unless the vet is open 24 hours or has actual night staffing (not just someone checking on them at some point during the night.)

My vet is a 24 hour a day 365 days a year vet. They have staffing all night and they have designated people that sit in the kennels and monitor them throughout the entire night. ( I was worried about this - since Bella's never been crated for extended periods of time).

I honestly expected her to come home same day - as that's what I've heard for most vets and people who have had their animals spayed/neutered. So I was shocked when they said I wouldn't be able to get her until the next day mid day!

Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I was reading these prices and about choked. I have always gone through clinics, so the most I paid was $75 dollars, for my male pom. The spays at the clinic run about 56$.

I'm going to have to have a special spay done for Rio, who turns out to be allergic to the anesthesia, but even that is looking at about $150.

Sometimes I AM glad I live in Texas.
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:44 pm

To be honest I didn't shop around as much as I could have. I might have found a better deal if I had tried.

Oh well whats done is done. I'm just glad it's over with! Razz

I know I am DEFINITELY fixing my husky asap when I finally get one. I didn't like waiting this long and I found out the hard way that the price goes by weight.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:23 pm

I paid around 300 for Delilah's spay - it included the works. And honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. For a spay, clinics freak me out. It's so invasive and I need that extra assurance for my girl. Now, we Cato gets neutered it wont be as much of a hassle - It's quite a bit different.

FWIW, I couldn't leave Delilah there, I actually opted to bring her home. My friend, a licensed vet tech, stayed the night with me that night and we monitored her. It was the best option for me because I would have had a panic attack if I left her there.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
judalina
Puppy
Puppy
judalina

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:44 pm

we signed rocky up for the puppy plan at Banfield in petsmart - $25 a month - and it included his neuter so all we had to pay for the pain meds and $30 for his microchip so i ended up paying $45
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Spayed   Getting Spayed - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting Spayed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2