It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Invisible Fencing System questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Invisible Fencing System questions Empty
PostSubject: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:54 am

Ok I do not want this to start a debate as to whether you agree or disagree with the concept. I am looking to see if anyone uses invisible fencing with their huskies and does it work. We already have this system installed for our lab puppy, the company tells me it will work with Huskys, but others say it won't Does anyone have it and does it work? Again not looking to argue over the concept, I happen to feel its better then my dogs getting hit by cars, and my property would be hard to traditionally fence! Thanks for input! I truly appreciate it.

I should note that I am not looking to leave either dog unattended, never do with the lab, the fun of it is being able to play WITH them in the yard.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:21 am

It's really going to depend on the individual dog. Huskys are not a good candidate for invincible fences despite what the company tells you, so no one can tell you if it will work for your dog or not. That's something you will just have to find out for yourself. Just try it with the knowledge that it doesn't work for the majority of the breed.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:26 am

26nikita wrote:
It's really going to depend on the individual dog. Huskys are not a good candidate for invincible fences despite what the company tells you, so no one can tell you if it will work for your dog or not. That's something you will just have to find out for yourself. Just try it with the knowledge that it doesn't work for the majority of the breed.

That is probably the best answer you can hope for, though you might have a lot of pro and con tossed in there along the way.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:41 am

Well it will cost me about $450 to give it a try lol, I have to buy him his own collar, the breeder said it might be ok since we will be out there and he will probably copy what Ruby does anyway. Have to decide whether to spend that money for something that may be a waste lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:57 am

I agree with Mindy also, it will depend. Personally I wouldn't trust it with this breed considering their desire to run and high flight risk but that's just me. I know without a doubt that it wouldn't work with my sibe without even trying it, but who knows how yours will be. Perhaps with heavy recall training it may work, but there's always a risk.

Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:13 am

what on earth kind of fence is it that a second collar costs $450????? Have you checked CL for a second collar that would be compatible with your system?

Getting good contact between the posts and the neck might be your biggest issue b/c of the dense undercoat......
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:29 am

We have invisible fence brand, the collar is expensive because it comes with two training visits.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:31 am

Balonsmom wrote:
Well it will cost me about $450 to give it a try lol, I have to buy him his own collar, the breeder said it might be ok since we will be out there and he will probably copy what Ruby does anyway. Have to decide whether to spend that money for something that may be a waste lol

Just as an example of why I would never do it:

My fiance and I work very very hard on recall training with Delilah. 95% of the time she will listen and come right to us. It's great, she seems to be the only dog at our local dog park that will actually listen and come when called. It even impresses people. So, even though we have read time and time again huskies cannot be off leash, even with supervision and good recall training, we started letting her was the very small 10ft distance from the backyard to the backdoor. As I stated, she was great with recall and she would go right to the gate, sit and wait to be let in. Then, one day she got really gutsy wouldn't listen and let instinct run away with her. I ended up chasing her around a field for a half hour and only caught her because she took a break from zoomies to smell squirrel poop. Lesson learned.

She hasn't been let off lead since, and she won't get let off either, even though she has great recall for a husky. Huskies just have a natural instinct to run and stubborn as they are, sometimes (often times!) that instinct will overcome their loyalty to you.

So, with that long drawn out explanation I have to say, it's not worth it and it's probably cheaper to just set up a dog run in your backyard anyway.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:51 am

If you don't plan on putting in a normal fence, then I think you should at least try. Get a collar with long prongs to get through the thick fur. I tried a shock collar for training on Siku and it had the normal sized prongs and 80% of the time she didn't even feel it through her hair.

Or just put out a tie out system.

As for it working vs not working, the only story I've heard about it is that dog a while back who stole a bone out of a store. It was in a yard with an invisible fence and it didn't stop that husky.

Invisible Fencing System questions Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyFri May 04, 2012 12:21 pm

SaraB wrote:

As for it working vs not working, the only story I've heard about it is that dog a while back who stole a bone out of a store. It was in a yard with an invisible fence and it didn't stop that husky.

I remember that news video was way to cool.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyTue May 15, 2012 9:56 pm

ok what is a tie-out system?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:02 pm

A tie out is simply a Cord of some type you use to attach to your dog before you let them out.

Generally it's secured with a spike in the ground or attached to something else that is solid.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Tika wrote:
A tie out is simply a Cord of some type you use to attach to your dog before you let them out.

Generally it's secured with a spike in the ground or attached to something else that is solid.

~Chris~

If you choose to do the tie out...look at all the different kinds out there. I used tie outs when I took Dakota camping and I learner the hard way that he could pull most of them out of the ground. I finally found one that he couldn't budge.
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

Female Join date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:49 pm

I tie out Blitz in the back yard with a stake in the ground. Just a typical one from walmart (NOT the spiral ones) and pounded it all the way into the ground so that the circle on top was sitting on the dirt. i have a 25 foot lead for him. I want to make a "run" for him which will consist of attaching a wire from the side of our house to the tree across the yard and hooking him onto it so he has the whole yard to run in. I've heard that huskies aren't good in invisible fences but I have seen about 5 of them in them and they work good for them. As said before it really just depends on the dog. As far as shock collars and such what I have found works is just shave a little square patch of skin on the neck so that the prongs can reach the skin - we did that with Blitz when his fur got thick in the winter.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyThu May 31, 2012 9:04 pm

Lol at that video!! And they say huskies are dumb.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 pm

well we have decided to try it. There is a lady behind me with two huskys and she says she has never had an ounce of trouble with her electric fence. I think its worth a shot to try. Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 pm

I have one installed. I have it along our chain link fence, because Rio can scale fences easily. She ran at it ONCE and never again! lol.

It has worked for me, but again, it's a case by case thing.

I have also used the shock collar on Kya, and it worked AMAZINGLY, until she took the collar off, and hid it.. Smart dog! 2 years later, I still can't find it.

GOOD LUCK!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Invisible Fencing System questions   Invisible Fencing System questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Invisible Fencing System questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1