It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adding a puppy...Maybe...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Adding a puppy...Maybe... Empty
PostSubject: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 2:29 pm

So tonight I'm going to meet Miya, a 17 week old husky pup. Right now, she lives with a family that brings her to the vet that I work at and we've talked a lot about her. The owners don't really know anything about huskies, aside from the fact that they're pretty, and came to me last week saying that they were really overwhelmed with her and might have to rehome her. Mondays are my day off from work and I got a call this morning because apparently they have really talked it over and thought about it and worried over it and they want me to have her. I told them that I could take her if we couldn't figure out any way for them to keep her, and that's what its looking like. Tonight I'm going to their house to meet and talk outside of work (where I can be more truthful with the questions that they ask about things) and she might be coming home with me.

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time! She looks a lot like Ava and is so young. I'm really worried that they might not get along or something like that, but then again, Ava hasn't really had issues with aggression before. She also hasn't been around a ton of female dogs either. And I don't know how the other puppy will react to everything - Ava, Snickers, Aspen, my house, etc. It seems like its been so long since I've had a puppy in the house that I don't know what to do Laughing
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 3:06 pm

hope it all goes well. sucks they can't figure it out

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Wow, good luck! Hope you get that puppy, sounds like it's in her best interest.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Good luck!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics!!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Adding a puppy...Maybe... 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Well, I brought her home! Not quite sure what to think though. She's a little skittish around new people and places, which is understandable after being rehomed. And her and Ava love each other and play and play and play until we actually make them stop. But (and the previous owners didn't tell me anything about this until I got home, otherwise I don't know if I would have taken her), she has some serious resource guarding issues. She even flips out over the water bowl that I put in her crate with her. Neutral I'm not sure what to do because she suddenly turns into a little demon puppy when someone goes near her bowl. I'm gonna have to find a way to nip this in the bud if we're gonna keep her because I do not want to deal with her snapping at dogs/cats/people that get too close to her bowl. Uggggh.

Anyway, pictures to follow!
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyMon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Adding a puppy...Maybe... IMAG0841

Adding a puppy...Maybe... IMAG0842

Adding a puppy...Maybe... IMAG0846

Adding a puppy...Maybe... IMAG0849
Back to top Go down
g0tmus1c
Puppy
Puppy
g0tmus1c

Female Join date : 2012-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:26 am

she is soooooooooo cute! love the close up pic in the car & her eyes!!
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:05 am

Right now, she's passed out in Snickers' old crate. They played so much! After I took the water bowl out of her crate, she didn't have any more resource guarding issues. I made her eat her dinner out of my hand, kibble by kibble, so we didn't have any issues there either. Maybe I'm overreacting to the whole guarding thing. I dunno. It just startles me that it could be so bad in a puppy so young.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:05 am

sooo cute good for you use nilf it should help, and keep feeding by hand I did this with a food guarding greyhound and it worked like a charm.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:29 am

Oh she is so cute..

Sounds like you are on top of some of the issues already.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm

She is so adorable!!!
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyWed May 09, 2012 12:36 am

Well, Miya went home this afternoon. She was simply too much for me to handle, I think, and I felt like I was putting Ava at risk of being attacked and hurt. I feel so bad Embarassed I got her owners' hopes up for a good, permanent home and I got Ava's hopes up for a playmate and then it just all went to hell and now she's back where she started at. I do plan to keep in touch with her owners and I'm referring them to a trainer, places they can find basic info (at work, I'm not allowed to recommend certain things or I could get in trouble or lose my job. I have to push Purina food, Frontline, Heartgard, and yearly vaccines Evil or Very Mad ), and places where they can buy stuff for her. They even said that we could still get her and Ava together to play at a park or something, so that's a little uplifting. I wish it would have worked out for me to keep her, but maybe this is better and happened for a reason? I dunno.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:09 am

Sorry to hear that Myndi Sad

It's a shame it didn't work out... At least you tried. Who knows maybe Ava will get some play dates out of it at least ^^.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:21 am

Sorry to hear it didn't work out Sad I hope they do their homework or find her a forever home.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:55 am

Sorry it didn't work out but have to do what's in everyones best interest. I really hope they get the help that they need for her or a good forever home. At least they still have you for continued support.

Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 1:37 pm

at least you tried, and that is more then alot of people would do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 6:53 pm

What about the situation didn't work out? Was it the guarding? According to your latest post you had said it had stopped, so I'm just curious what went wrong?

Adding a puppy...Maybe... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Sorry I haven't updated this thread more. I forgot that I hadn't put any updates after that initial one.

The guarding was just too much for me. It was really extreme and I'm not in the position to be able to work with her on it safely. I don't have all the time or knowledge to fix something like that. I was afraid that Ava would get seriously hurt and didn't want to risk her. And on top of that, I'm still on blood thinners, so any sort of bite to me would have been even worse.

I thought at first that maybe she was just guarding because she was in a crate. She had spent time in a crate with her owners, not any sort of inordinate time though (I asked for help on another forum too and they thought that maybe she'd been crated constantly), so it wasn't completely new to her. I had to crate her to give her time to relax because her and Ava wouldn't stop playing, so it wasn't any sort of negative then either. But I thought the issues might have been caused by her being in a crate. The next morning though, it was worse. She picked some random things in my house and started displaying the same behaviors around them. She was particularly bad about something in my kitchen and lunged at Dad several times when he went by her. She was also lunging at Ava a lot over the same sort of things. She was really sweet and her owners were wonderful, so I don't mean to talk bad about them, but Miya just didn't fit with us and she's gonna require more work and risk than I can do right now.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Hmm. Did she come with anything of her own? Anything that smelled like her? Like a bed or a blanket? Toys?

Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:20 pm

She did. Tons of toys, treats, her blanket that she slept on all the time on the couch. I bought everything but her food bowls home.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Interesting. That's really rare in a puppy so young. I wonder what caused it.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Hopefully she will find a forever home soon.

Do remember that when you add a second... 9/10 it's going to be a struggle at first. It's very rare that dogs are placed in a home with another dog and are immediately comfortable and gel. It will take time, energy, and patience, but it also has to be the right time for everyone to be able to work on that. You will get there, but be prepared that a future situation may run into the same problems. Smile

ETA: I'm sorry that I didn't pop into this thread sooner. That's why when you are having issues, it's important to create a new post with a proper title. I, or someone else, might have been able to step in and offer advice or suggestions.

Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:47 pm

I thought the same thing and was just kinda shocked for a few seconds. I had anticipated some issues introducing them, but they took to each other perfectly. We met at a playground a few miles from my house that neither were familiar with, then the back yard, and then in the house. As long as there weren't any toys, treats, or even bowls around, Ava and Miya were fine. Introduce one of those things and it got crazy (although after about half an hour of hard-core playing they drank side by side for a few minutes). Ava was really confused by it and I was too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding a puppy...Maybe...   Adding a puppy...Maybe... Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding a puppy...Maybe...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next