It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pet Insurance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Does anyone here have Vet Insurance on your dogs? What company do you think offers the best premiums with the best coverage?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:02 pm

i think Kim with Demon and Dakota has ins. for her 2

we don't

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm

I'd like to know this also. I did some searching a while back, but it was expensive Sad
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I use the one Banfield has at PetSmart. I have been on it for 2 years with my GSD and 3 months for my Husky. For both dogs it cost 50 a month all together. I take them in every 6 months for their check up and what ever shots or test they need. It does not cost me a thing when I leave. The only time I pay anything at the vet is if there is something wrong and they need some sort of meds. Then I get like 10 or 15% off.
Like today Nero had to go in for his 6 month they did their usual check. Then I ask them about Nero itching a lot so they gave me some supplements for him.
Took Thor in with him because he had something on his chin turned out to be acne so they gave a wash for him.
Then I had to get a 6 month supply of heartworm meds.

Total cost 80 bucks and it was all for the meds 20...20...40

So yea, I am happy because I know it would have cost even more if I did not have the insurance. I saved 70 bucks today alone because I do not have to pay for the office visit of each dog. I have no clue what the shots and test cost.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Ive got VPI for my pack
Back to top Go down
shirl51
Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 2:50 pm

I had VPI Insurance on my samoyed (who passed away last year of cancer). They were great. However I now have Petplan for Bob (who btw seems to be doing better after the second surgery) When I did a comparison between the both seemed PetPlan won out. Here is the link to the comparison website.

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/dog.asp

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I have Pet Plan, they have various levels of coverage I went with the "bronze" all I want it for is for emergency or serious health issues.

http://www.gopetplan.com/

Insurance is a gamble no matter what it is for be it yourself, car, home and PETS. You just hope it never needs to be used. I hate it when you read crap in things like Consumer Reports that its a waste of money. Well you can pay about $20 per month for each dog and the level of coverage I use and hope you never need it. Or you can forks out hundreds or yes even thousands of dollars trying to save your pet from an accident or serious health issue. Dedicated pet health fund yeah sure how many here really would put $'s into it and never touch it except for the pets health. I pay $39 per month for my two, one 2 yr old and the other is 6 yrs old. Rates go by age and breed usually. The biggest 2 reasons I have, 1- peace of mind & 2- been there needed that but didn't have when Mylo came on with cancer twice.

Check out Pet Plan and if you decide to use them let me know I'll give you my name and I get a $25 gift name for each referral. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I have Embrace pet insurance. Absolutely love the company. Great customer service, and they cover some breed specific conditions that other companies won't cover. They also cover alternative medicine like chiropractic and acupuncture. Definitely check them out!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 4:46 pm

We use Trupanion. We have a deductible (which you can set) once that is met on any one issue, they cover 90% of the rest AND they offer hip dysplasia coverage for just a little bit more per month.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 5:24 pm

There was one that I was considering... It was very inexpensive per month (for 5 dogs) but only covered accidents or injuries. So would be no sickness... I figured since accidents/injuries are the biggest and most expensive vet bills it was very fair. I want to say $50/month for the whole family?

I'll try and dig through my emails and figure out which one it was. I think they covered about 80%.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:02 pm

I have VPI for both Ruby and Balon, I think I pay 29.00 a month for each dog for major medical.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:20 pm

I did a ton of research and chose the one with the best payouts - that pay the ACTUAL vet bill, not a "standard rate" that they set. We chose Healthy Paws, who are relatively new but backed by another insurance company. They also cover hip dysplasia - one of the few who do! Research here : www.doggiehealthinsurance.com
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm wondering if I should be considering pet insurance especially for Storm since he's older?

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:35 pm

cmanding wrote:
I'm wondering if I should be considering pet insurance especially for Storm since he's older?

If you do, you should do it now since many companies cut you off after a certain age or charge more! It depends, can you put money into an account every month that would reach a high enough amount to cover very expensive surgeries or do you like the peace of mind a policy affords?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I was thinking more that it would be cheaper over time if something did happen and we suddenly incurred a high vet bill?

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:42 pm

I would rather do a policy that doesn't require reimbursement. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

What do you guys think about Sheltercare?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Alright, we decided on petsheatlh care plan - its 10/month with a 250 deductible annual for emergency. or 13/month with 100$ deductible - accident only but still pretty awesome.

https://www.petinsurancestore.com/
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:49 pm

cmanding wrote:
I was thinking more that it would be cheaper over time if something did happen and we suddenly incurred a high vet bill?

That's what we thought and went with the insurance. We do keep credit cards empty to charge the vet fees, because you get reimbursed after the event. Our insurance takes 7-10 days for the first claim, and they say it's faster for subsequent ones. Gonna claim this month!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 11:50 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Alright, we decided on petsheatlh care plan - its 10/month with a 250 deductible annual for emergency. or 13/month with 100$ deductible - accident only but still pretty awesome.

https://www.petinsurancestore.com/

I just looked into this and level 2 sounds like it might work for us. I get so confused with insurance though. So you have to pay the $100 annual deductible regardless if you put any claims through? In addition to the $23 a month (per pet)?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:13 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I just looked into this and level 2 sounds like it might work for us. I get so confused with insurance though. So you have to pay the $100 annual deductible regardless if you put any claims through? In addition to the $23 a month (per pet)?
You have a monthly payment of $23 per pet per month or have your pet insured. If you go to the vet and the vet bill is $1000, your deductible is $100 which you pay, then the remaining $900 is covered by insurance. So you don't pay the deductible unless you go the vet and put in a claim to be reimbursed.

That's how it usually works.

Some insurance companies will pay the vet directly for the portion they will cover and you pay the vet the deductible.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 1:16 pm

cmanding wrote:

Some insurance companies will pay the vet directly for the portion they will cover and you pay the vet the deductible.

Hi Claudia! Which companies do that (other than banfield?) - I haven't found any that do that... sounds like a good option for anyone that can't pay out of pocket and wait 2 weeks to be reimbursed...
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 1:26 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
cmanding wrote:

Hi Claudia! Which companies do that (other than banfield?) - I haven't found any that do that... sounds like a good option for anyone that can't pay out of pocket and wait 2 weeks to be reimbursed...
I thought I saw one or two that does when I compared insurance plans out there a few months ago. I may be wrong. But most of them will reimburse you rather than pay the vet directly.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks Claudia!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 3:29 pm

I tink you pay the deductible when an incidence happens. I just like the fact that its an annual deductible, not case by case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1 - Pet Insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   1 - Pet Insurance? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pet Insurance?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-