It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Another Dog Shot by Police

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 2:39 pm

He thought it was a pit. What a f***** dumba$$. They look absolutely nothing alike hell a blind man could tell the difference. And again at the wrong house, are TX cops that damn stupid. It's starting to be a habit with them shooting dogs at the wrong address.
And if you don't have it on tape what happen to prove the cop wrong then they are like oh it charged me...WTF ever. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:55 pm

We all love our dogs, and most of us leash them.
Most of us have had bad experiences with unleashed dogs.
I don't think any of us have shot anybody else's dog.

I think that most of us are sympathetic to the difficult job police officers have.

However, I must repeat what I said in the earlier thread-
why don't we hear about postal workers shooting dogs?
Dogs don't like uniforms.
Postal workers, UPS drivers and meter readers have far more interactions with dogs than do police,
Postal workers don't shoot dogs, because they are trained in avoiding confrontation.
They carry a nonlethal deterrent, which works most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:01 pm

How many of these have been in Texas? I know two of them have.

Same themes: Unleashed dogs. Untrained police (if he can mistake a border collie mix for a pitt, there is absolutely no training being done and that's wrong).

Seems perfectly preventable to me. It's a shame that nothing is being done yet.

Again- if the dogs are being contained in the back yard, WHY would you let them loose when you are unloading groceries? That just seems like a dumb idea period.

Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Why do people want to blame the owners. In the 3 cases I have seen so far for TX all three dogs were in their own yard. In this case the people were carrying in groceries. The dogs were running around on their own property the cop came on to their property. The owner even told him to wait and he would meet him. I think the one owner said when he saw the cop he (the owner) was getting the dogs. The one dog supposedly went up to the cop on the porch stood there waiting to be petted and the cop shot it. Of all things in the back which means the dog had to be turned away from him.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:37 pm

iceblulady wrote:
Why do people want to blame the owners. In the 3 cases I have seen so far for TX all three dogs were in their own yard. In this case the people were carrying in groceries. The dogs were running around on their own property the cop came on to their property. The owner even told him to wait and he would meet him. I think the one owner said when he saw the cop he (the owner) was getting the dogs. The one dog supposedly went up to the cop on the porch stood there waiting to be petted and the cop shot it. Of all things in the back which means the dog had to be turned away from him.
Because it's not the cop's responsibility to know whether or not the dog is friendly. And in many places, the driveway is NOT personal property. Why would you have an offleash dog in your driveway?

In the video- the owner said he saw the cop, the dogs ran up to him, and the owner informed the cop that his dogs were friendly, please don't worry, he would come and get them and bring them back to the yard (ie- the dogs were NOT secured). In the time it took the owner to say that, the one dog made it all the way up to the cop.

I'm not condoning the cops actions, but had the dogs been secured in their own yard, this would never have happened. You have to realize that in almost ANY situation, it takes two to tango. There are two sides and normally, both can admit some fault.

Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:45 pm

There are a lot of factors involved in all of these incidents. Sometimes it's a blatantly irresponsible cop, but not always. Raising awareness and impacting police training is a great, but (if it happens) it will not happen overnight. What can we as individuals immediately do to help ensure this doesn't happen to our dogs? Do not let your dog roam about off leash. If an officer is coming to your house (and you have any warning) immediately make sure your dog is restrained, or better, put away. No one wants to blame the owner, because most people (especially in the case of wrong address) would never imagine this would happen. But as we can now see, it does. Yes raise awareness (without flame wars) but also learn what you can do.

I had to call police to my apartment to report a car break in. They arrived and just assumed they could enter my house. I told them they could not, I would talk to them outside, while my dog was safely inside, in her crate.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes the dog did make it to the cop and then dog had to have turned around and walked away from the cop in order for the cop to shoot the dog in the back. So since there were no cameras to catch it the just gets away with by say uhh.. yea the dog charged at me... yea, that's what I will say happened. I hope the hell the people sue the city and then turn around and sue the cop.
They need to do something in that state or any state that is having issue with cops shooting dogs. Not just say they are going to do something and 5 years later nothing has been done. People might start mistaking cops for robbers and shooting them. opps... My bad I thought it was a robber either way it was charging at me. Oh, how did the bullet hit him in the back...Ummm, I have special bullets that do U-turns...Yea, that's what I would say happen...lol
Yea, I know it sounds retarded but I see that happening if something isn't done.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Personally, I think that if the dog is trained offleash and they are on their own personal property, why do they have to be on leash? They weren't expecting a police officer to come to their home and the owner clearly states he was telling the officer his dog is friendly and he still opens fires. It's wrong ... Yes, people should leash their dog's, but I know that my Dalmatians & Yorkies are all trained offleash and when I unload groceries or whatever they are always running around me. If a police officer were to catch me off guard at my home while I was outside with my dog's on my property and he just shoot's one of them before I even got the chance to bring him/her in, I would be irate.

What if the people had an invisible fence in the front yard for their dog's?

No matter how you look at the situation it's wrong. I feel the police officers need more training without a doubt and owners should be more responsible with their dog's. I know for now on I'll be closing my gates while unloading groceries. It's not worth taking the chance.

Feel bad for the owners who had to learn the hard way Sad
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Yea. Looks just like a pit bull. So do chihuahuas.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm

The problem is that if they can't recognize an aggressive dog then they probably can't identify other threatening situations. Poor training. Discharging a weapon in public IS SERIOUS. I'm waiting for a child to get shot in one of these cases.

And it can happen, here in Oklahoma a few years ago a cop shot a snake out of a tree and the bullet hit a child.

Something needs to change

EDIT: Here is the snake story. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292168,00.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Dog Shot by Police   Another Dog Shot by Police - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Dog Shot by Police

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2