It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Yard tick spray...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:13 pm

OK, this has gone on far too seriously long by a half! Been waking up with ticks sucking on me. I know they dogs (who don't seem to be bothered with them) are bringing them in from the fenced yard. I keep it well manicured and clean, but we live in the country and the ticks are bad this year. I've always hesitated to spray because of fear it would make the dogs ill. But it is a small yard and surrounded by a driveway, so I think doing so might help.

Can anyone recommend a safe grass spray, maybe something water-hose fed that may work?

Thanks!

Chris, Violet, and Nola Rue
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Not sure about things that are safe to spray, but have you tried using rose geranium oil on the dogs? It's a good tick repellant and you can just put a drop on their collar every so often. Just don't use it on cats if you have any, they can't metabolize the oils. I got a good sized bottle from Amazon for right around $10.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Yard tick spray... 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Living here in south FL I deal with ticks all year long. There really is no safe way to treat your yard. All you can do is stick with the directions of the product you are using. Now in our experience we found out that the the dry stuff you put in the spreader works longer and is a better then the bottle stuff you put on the hose. Why, because as soon as it rains the hose stuff washes away the spreader stuff doesn't unless you live on a hill.
We do not have a preference on what brand we use they all seem to work the same. We also mix ours with Diatomaceous earth and do it once every 3 months. It does help but it does not get rid of them all.
Also pine trees are known to have large amounts of ticks on them. So if you have any pine trees you may want to treat them also.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:47 pm

I don't have any information to help but wanted to say it's nice to hear from you Chris and I hope you are doing well! We would love to see some updated pics of Violet! Smile
Back to top Go down
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Thank you all. I asked my vet today, too, and he suggested the granulated chemicals as being safe(st) and longest lasting.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I am still very focused on our adoptee Violet, as well as her sister Nola. I am babysitting Storm, a Golden Retriever that owns a good friend of mine. I awoke with Storm on my face this morning as she does NOT like...STORMS!

Here's one from earlier in the new year...

Yard tick spray... Sleepe11

And Violet testing out the new area rug...

Yard tick spray... Area_h10
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Welcome back. wave
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Ticks are not to be ignore here on the east coast! We are finding many more cases of mammalian meat allergy (or alpha-gal) caused by tick bites to humans around here.

Here's a link to some information coming out of UVA: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/10/01/830-alpha-gal-allergy/

My family personally knows 4 people with this allergy, maybe 5. It causes terrible anaphylactic reactions for the affected person when he eats mammal meat. My son's friend is part of the current study at UVA.

Our vet told me that Va Tech is conducting some tests to try to predict if this will ever effect animals. So far there are no reports that is has.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Yard tick spray... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yard tick spray...   Yard tick spray... Empty

Back to top Go down

Yard tick spray...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1