It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Don't think Sierra is feeling well

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Don't think Sierra is feeling well Empty
PostSubject: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 1:27 pm

ok, I think it started last Wed. nigh when I woke up thur. morning to find diarrhea on the carpet outside our room. then she messed in her crate that day and on thur. night messed outside the room again for me to find fri. morning. she seemed ok fri and sat and sun, no messes in the house. yesterday morning she all most messed up stairs but I caught her and took her outside so she could leave a pile of soft poo on the ground. well I went to move her blanket this morning in her crate only to find it hiding soft poo under it. I'm not sure what is wrong with her, she is eating and drinking and acting like her crazy loving self other then the soft poo and her not being able to hold it in her crate. the only thing I can think about is this started after she ate the stuffed reindeers on tue. and puked it up wed. morning the reindeers had 2 round flat magnets in the noses and I found one on the ground and not sure if she puked up the 2nd one or if it is still in her and causing the issue, she is also sneezing more than normal and seems to have a slight runny nose, nothing I need to wipe up though. any suggestions on if this is something i need to take her in for or just wait for it to pass. Jack is acting fine and not sick at all.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 1:54 pm

After a week I would be taking her in (3-4 days really). Or call the vet and ask if she could have something stuck without it being a blockage. With us it's always a call to the vet and occasionally a visit. "Stupid sled dogs", I always say.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Yeah... always remember that a call to the vet is free Smile I usually go on their suggestion as to whether or not it's necessary to take Koda in. Almost a week of soft poo? I would take her to the vet just to get it checked out.

Have there been any other changes to her diet or anything? Going in the crate is a big deal to me because a dog usually tries EVERYTHING before messing in their sleeping area.

Don't think Sierra is feeling well Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Vets are stupid! I trust you all more than them! they told me to try changing her food or to wait for it to stop or just bring her in to be checked out! of course your not going to give out FREE advice! I guess I can take her in tomorrow since I am off but all they are going to do is give her antibiotics and try making me pay for an x-ray cause they know nothing! the other vet I called no one was available to talk and I need to call back in 20 min. uggggggh
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Oooh. You need a new vet. I was lucky finding mine on chance with Lakota. She knows our dogs' entire history by memory. When I call, the receptionist puts her on right away unless she's in surgery. It would take the use of force to keep me from that vet. I dread ever trying to find a new one.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 5:05 pm

umm....i dont know....it might be a DOG thing...i know when my sophia gets diarhea for any amount of time she usually has eaten something terribly bad fo rher! so give it a few more days and then take her. Try some pepto maybe and see if that helps any. always works for my sophia. when in doubt take to the vet but im with you they are STUPID and COST WAY TOO MUCH! so...thats the only thing i can think of since there was no change in diet. it had to have been something upsetting her tummy.....good luck and keep us posted on her well being!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 6:53 pm

good old emergency vets! I called Alameda east vet and someone called me back! I took the dogs there when we first got them for checkups and I have been there in the past for my ferret and our chinchillas so I know they have good service they just cost a ton for a vet visit! she was very nice and said that since she is acting normal to try feeding her some rice and chicken and see if it clears up. that her GI track could be upset from either eating the reindeer or the gourds I forgot to throw out in the back yard, if she is not better by Monday I will for sure take her in, or if her condition worsens and she is no longer acting normal. I did ask about the pepto and she did not recommend it, nor did she like the idea of feeding yogurt either.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Most vets know absolutely nothing about nutrition. Sierra is on a grain-free kibble right? Don't feed her rice. I would do some ground beef (raw or cooked... depends on the dog honestly, but both are safe) or scrambled eggs. The chicken (raw) would be fine, but if Sierra is grain-free definitely don't feed her rice! That may make her tummy feel worse Sad

I agree that since she is acting normal, there isn't much of a concern, but just be careful what you do feed her now. I assume the vet (with her good intentions) also didn't know Sierra is grain-free? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 7:04 pm

ya i forgot to say that but i told her she was on TOTW, guess she did not know it is a grain free food. it is really Jack that has the grain issue and not her but it makes sence that giving her grain after not haveing grain might be an issue, do you think oatmeal would be better? again that is why i was asking you all Smile thanks for pointing out the rice thing Tori, would not have enven crossed my mind. i will make sure to give you all an up date on tue when im back!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Dogs handle it differently (re: oatmeal). If she's been on grain-free, I wouldn't feed her grain.

When Koda has stomach problems, I usually always revert to scrambled eggs and boiled hamburger, since a vet I trust recommended the boiled hamburger and the scrambled eggs has never steered me wrong (recommended by a very knowledgeable husky-owner friend). Val (whose opinion I also trust) claims that boiled hamburger bothers her boy more than raw, but the boiled did fine for Koda when he had a stomach virus.

It's up to you- both are solid recommendations, but I ALWAYS feel comfortable with scrambled eggs. They give him nutrients and are very mild.

One or two eggs per meal (based on a two-times a day feeding).

Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 pm

I really need to get my gf on here she is a vet tech and can really help here, Ill get her to chime in soon if you still need advice. We usual give a spoonful of I.D. wet food it get there stomach back on track in a day or so but it is from the vets office only
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 pm

This is what my gf suggested and I can vouch for it working, Just give a small spoonful when you feed her

Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Canine Canned Food

For the Nutritional Management of Dogs with Gastrointestinal Disorders.

Gastrointestinal (GI) disorders affect the stomach and intestines, causing painful symptoms and problems with your dog's overall health. Some of the more common symptoms include vomiting, regurgitation, flatulence, weakness, diarrhea or constipation. Prescription Diet®️ i/d®️ Canine dog food is a highly digestible formula created specifically to help manage dogs with GI disorders. There are several types of GI disorders that affect dogs, including colitis, constipation/diarrhea, gastroenteritis and pancreatitis. The nutritional formulation of Prescription Diet®️ i/d®️ may also be useful for pets with a variety of conditions.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, see seems to be back on track, except for the cut she got on her nose yesterday! poor girl, nothing bad though
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 3:51 pm

That's good to hear. No more raw reindeer for her.
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Good to hear. Did you try anything to help or did she just get better on her own?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 4:01 pm

did nothing she fixed her self. but i had eggs ready to go for her Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't think Sierra is feeling well   Don't think Sierra is feeling well Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't think Sierra is feeling well

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1