It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Summer Eats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:55 am

I actually use the search option now and didn't find this topic. Since the ungodly hot weather started Kiara eats maybe one cup of food later at night. I know this is normal (eating less) was wondering if everyone else's huskies do the same and how much do you cut back their food and I am worried she isn't getting enough?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 am

I've heard a lot of people talk about their Huskies doing this, and Ghost does it to an extent as well. When it first got hot she got pretty finicky for about a week or so, but is back to normal now. Some people do cut back their food, and hopefully they'll chime in with a little insight as well. When Ghost gets in one of her moods, we still offer the same amount, but whatever she hasn't eaten within about 15 or 20 minutes we just pick back up. I've heard it's been pretty nasty hot out your way, same here plus crazy humidity.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Summer Eats 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Neither of my dogs skip meals- if they skip a meal I pretty much assume they are dying. Koda was in a funk yesterday and didn't eat dinner til around 11PM (very unusual) and I was freaking, haha. But it definitely wasn't the heat, we come from AZ and yesterday was nice stormy weather.

She won't starve herself. Just pick it up and see if she will eat a bit more next meal time. If you think she will drop weight, maybe incorporate more high quaity threats in (or I like to freeze a blend of yogurt/berries/PB in ice cream size foils and give them daily since it's hot, or freak a kong with PB, yogurt, or cottage cheese).
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Yea I could start mixing stuff in she would eat that. But she is down to one cup a day later at night. Goes all day without eating.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 pm

My dogs only eat 1 1/2 cups (Koda) and 3/4-1 cup (Rogue) a day so that'd be pretty normal for me, haha.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Haha ya Its gotta be the heat cause she's not interrested at all. She normally is very into eating and now she won't even eat at her normal times.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Blaze started skipping breakfest a several weeks ago when it started getting hot here.

After we got Kerian and they spend time outside playing during the day he is now eating breakfest and supper.

I think he was skipping because he wasn't getting enought activity and it was hot here.

It is still hot but he is getting more activity during the day.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Sounds normal to me. My sibe did this regularly when the temps got hotter...up until we got more dogs. Now he doesn't dare leave any food behind for fear that our other dogs might eat it. But when he was an only dog he ate very little and even skipped meals some days during the warmest parts of summer.

Summer Eats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer Eats   Summer Eats Empty

Back to top Go down

Summer Eats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1