It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
catherine.kbaum
Newborn
Newborn

Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska Empty
PostSubject: Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska   Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:18 am

So, I have recently adopted an abandoned husky. She used to be a sled dog, but her owner had to give all of her dogs away. The people that she was given to let her roam where ever she chose and she chose to go to a lady I work with. Laska fits well wit our family, but I am not seeing the "energy and mischievousness" that I have been reading about. We are taking her to the vet on Friday, but if any one has any experience with adopting a 2-4 year old and their behaviors, I would greatly appreciate it. I seem to be the only one she wants to PLAY with. She will play for a little while with my husband and children, but she plays with me for hours at a time. She listens and obeys my husband. I'm also having difficulty finding the right food for her - any suggestions would help since she only wants soft food. I mix it with reg food but she's having none of that. Any advice whatsoever would be appreciated. Oh-I know about the "blow out" that's she's got going now, but I have heard there was a system that works wonders but has a decent price tag on it-any ideas?
Thank y'all in advance!!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska   Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 am

Welcome to the forum, Catherine! This place is definitely a wonderful tool for learning, with an embracing community who have the wisdom of experience. Smile

The emotional stress that can be caused by being separated from a family can be very traumatizing to dogs, especially huskies. If your girl was working as part of a sled team, it means she was very acclimated to being around several other huskies, as well as her original owner/trainer for long periods of time. Adopted dogs can take weeks to months before they really come out of their shell, and show you their true colors. assuming that you haven't had her for very long at all, I think it would be pretty safe to say that she is a little confused, and is trying to adjust to her recent lifestyle change. If she is used to being worked and run on a sled line, a good opportunity to open her up to you may show itself in the way of jogging/running/joring. She will be familiar with that, and it might make her feel more comfortable.

As far as a diet goes, boiled chicken and rice is a bland diet, and a safe way to ensure your girl is getting essential nutrients while you potentially look for a dry food for her. Orijen, blue buffalo, and taste of the wild are a few of the "crowd favorites" endorsed by other uses on here.

Grooming a husky can definitely feel like a lost cause at times. I have put in over and hour of detailed brushing, and when Keeonah trots away, she is still raining fur Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska 1625187496 . I, and some other people here will advocate the furminator (or one of it's many knockoffs), while others will argue it can cut the pup's guard hairs (not so good). I personally believe that if used delicately enough, the shed rakes can be very effective at removing loose undercoat hairs, and keep your dog's coat looking fresh-er. At the very best you can only hope to curb the worst of the hair though Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska 85993

In short, don't expect too much too soon. Just continue giving her the love I'm sure your family is giving her, and she will eventually become more and more comfortable with all of you Smile

Again, welcome to the forums, and please do post pictures of your girl!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska   Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 am

Welcome wave

I am sure you will get lots of help to your questions..

I do agree on her being in a shell being she is a rescue. We adopted a rescue 4 weeks ago and have see some different issues with her.. Kerian is getting better everyday we are working with her.

Good luck !! Oh by the way what is your girls name??
Back to top Go down
catherine.kbaum
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska   Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 am

Her name is Laska. We wanted to try Calaskin (keeper of the little one in Inuit) but my youngest said Alaska would be better. My 5 year old is extremely stubborn so her name is technically Alaska. She seems to like Laska better though.
Thank you for the advice. We take her for jogs/walks, but she hasn't all out ran yet. Not that we haven't tried, but she's not going for it yet. My husband wants her to open up a little so he can take her to PT-but I think that it's been a little warm up here for that right now.
I have been doing non-stop research on siberians, trying to find the perfect toys food play any thing and everything. I don't want to rush her; I realize that loosing your family ca be extremely scaring. But I'll be in her looking for advice consistantly!
Regarding pictures-as soon as I get on my computer I'll post some. I swear we have 100 already lol. My family is in love.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska   Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice-new owner of Laska in Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1