It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

split colored coat from tip to root

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ember breaze
Newborn
Newborn
ember breaze

split colored coat from tip to root Empty
PostSubject: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 pm

hello, i have two siberian huskies and they are my first lol. i love them to death!! Nala is black n white and she is 6 months old and Zeke is copper n white and he is 4 months old. nala hasnt really changed coat colors since we got her at 6 weeks old but zeke has. he was med red at 8 weeks then to blonde then now to a dark orange/copper color. his fur is split colored n i was wondering if this was normal or what to expect from it. the tip of his fur is the dark orange/copper color but further down the hair its white. so the hair is white coming out of his skin. u dont notice it unless you spread his fur apart n look but i thought it was weird lol. does that mean that his coat will be lighter later on bc of the white? thanks for your advice Smile
Back to top Go down
ember breaze
Newborn
Newborn
ember breaze

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 pm

zeke is darker orange now than he is in the pic above of him and nala.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Huskies seem to change no matter what. Usually they lighten up and loose their masks. I love to see "dirty" face huskies but most seem to loose it. You never know what you will get in the long run when it comes to this breed. Just enjoy the dogs and take lots of pics because you might be able to make a classic flip book showing the color changes. I like Zeke and Nala's coloring in the pic!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 12:47 am

Luka's (my red husky) fur is banded in color, dark at the tips and lighter at the roots. Some areas it goes from dark to light and back to dark. Luka is five, and her coat has been this way since she was about one. I think it depends on the dog though, he still will probably change because he is so young. Luka was very light as a puppy, got darker around six months, then lightend up a little bit at around a year.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:28 am

Kale's guard hairs are banded white and black; white coming from skin, black, white, and then black at the tips. He was really dark as a pup, and has lightened up dramatically the past 6 months. Their coats are constantly changing in color Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:28 am

That's normal and common banding. My two have white (or in Elara's case sometimes buff color) at the base of their guard hairs and the different colors of grey/black at the tips.

As for changing colors, some sibes change a lot as they grow up. Siku went through darker and lighter phases and Elara looked a completely different color as a puppy!

split colored coat from tip to root Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 3:42 pm

I wondered about this before but everyone on here reassured me that colour changes are normal. Ghost has four colour bands in his guard hairs (black, white, grey and buff). His colour has changed a bit, seems to be darker in winter and lighter in summer, and looks more grizzled now than it used to. Also when we adopted him his face was very open and white (hence the name) but now it has a little grey in it, like the remains of a mask around his eyes that wasn't there before. We didn't have him as a puppy so perhaps he had a mask when he was tiny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
ember breaze
Newborn
Newborn
ember breaze

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:19 am

thank you guys so much!! when Nala was a baby, her face was black n grey and now her grey has turned white n has spread up her face so there is just black from her eyes up. she hasnt really changed colors except that she has gotten more white on her face and legs. Zeke is our little chamaeleon lol. the hotter it gets, the darker red/orange his coat gets. i love that with them its kinda a surprise of how they will actually look as they age. i have never really liked bigger dogs but for some reason i was always drawn to the siberian husky. i finally talked my husband into letting me get one (he thought it would be too hot for the breed in missouri) and bought Nala in january 2012. then once we brought her home and fell madly in love with her, my husband thought we should get her a friend. she loves playing with our cat Gizmo but was weary about other dogs since she had just been around Gizmo since she was 6 weeks old. then in april this year, i bought Zeke. it took them awhile to get use to one another bc once we got home from a 6 hour road trip to get him, he was throwing up alot. the next morning i took him straight to the vet n he had intestinal worms Sad but the first week, they had to stay separated bc of that. now, i could not separate them if i wanted to lol. i couldnt imagine our lives without them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: split colored coat from tip to root   split colored coat from tip to root Empty

Back to top Go down

split colored coat from tip to root

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1