It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Should I get pet insurance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 am

I'd just call them both, price compare, and look at the reviews for both companies online and see which one makes you feel comfortable. Even though you'll see reviews that say "hey they sucked never getting my money ever in my life," there's always circumstances, and a lot of the time it's the client doing something incorrectly/doing the paperwork wrong/whatnot that causes the hold up. Obviously, both companies have reviews attacking them, as with any business.

I'd also ask your vet if they've have clients who have dealt with either and have heard any feedback.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I think it also depends on age. I did the free quote on Trupanion and my dogs are older than Heather's and my web quote was higher than Heather's for both Ginger and Storm.

I'll call them, but web quote compared between Trupanion and Pet Plan for about as comparable as you can select on the website, Pet Plan is more economical, costing me only $60 for both G&S vs. Trupanion for both would be $93 (for basic plans).

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Definitely look into higher deductibles, you can save up that deductible with the difference in monthly rates in less than a year.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 pm

cmanding wrote:
I think it also depends on age. I did the free quote on Trupanion and my dogs are older than Heather's and my web quote was higher than Heather's for both Ginger and Storm.

I'll call them, but web quote compared between Trupanion and Pet Plan for about as comparable as you can select on the website, Pet Plan is more economical, costing me only $60 for both G&S vs. Trupanion for both would be $93 (for basic plans).
I don't think Megan's dogs are much younger than mine, maybe by a few months or a year. Plus I got a discount with Ro being a SD.
I talked to PP and hip dysphasia was included aim my price quote as well.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Heather! wrote:
cmanding wrote:

I don't think Megan's dogs are much younger than mine, maybe by a few months or a year. Plus I got a discount with Ro being a SD.
So did you go with Pet Plan?

Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:11 pm

I think I'm going to Pet Plan also - I just need to make a call to them.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Has somebody used VPI before?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 pm

I have a good friend with VPI, she likes it a lot...I think Christina, MetalMama - uses it too!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:18 pm

I actually have VPI for mine, but honestly Im not enjoying the amounts of their "co-pay" and Ive been considering switching to something else.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 pm

hehehehe Megan <3 I do like VPI, but I have been hearing that there are other providers with lower co-pay costs. Not sure but its some research Ive been wanting to do. But all in all VPI has been a big help and no matter what anyone chooses in the end the most important thing is to have your pet protected in case anything should arise.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Heather! wrote:
cmanding wrote:

Honestly, Heather ours really aren't that far apart - Rogues just turned 1 correct?

I know it can vary according to vet costs in your area - thankfully, where I am is full of low cost clinics and dirt cheap vets - I don't use them, but I am sure that some people need to as I am in the metro Detroit area.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Rogue turned one in May and Koda turned four in April. From my experience, vets are pretty cheap here. I also got the quote from them with a discount for mil and Ro being a SD included.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:10 pm

MetalMama wrote:
hehehehe Megan <3 I do like VPI, but I have been hearing that there are other providers with lower co-pay costs. Not sure but its some research Ive been wanting to do. But all in all VPI has been a big help and no matter what anyone chooses in the end the most important thing is to have your pet protected in case anything should arise.

I didn't even know there were co-pays with pet ins!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh yeah Melissa, I am glad I have a ) Copay - it helped our bill alot. It's worth it for me.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:22 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Heather, have you thought about trupanion - they paid 90% of Delilahs vet bill and I didn't have deductible. For both dogs, I pay 83.00 total.
I talked to someone from Trupanion, and you pay less because of the state you live in. And in general, dogs that are older cost more to insure. Also, breed also makes a difference in cost.

So for me, Pet Plan cost less. I just gotta get Storm on Pet Plan because I believe Len mentioned they have an age cut off of 8 years.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Exactly, I would have gone with PetPlan if my dogs had been older - thankfully I got cato insured before 5 months and Delilah before she hit 2.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Exactly, I would have gone with PetPlan if my dogs had been older - thankfully I got cato insured before 5 months and Delilah before she hit 2.
Lucky you also live in a lower cost state.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:48 pm

cmanding wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

True, you can thank Detroit for that - the economy is crap. Sadly, I don't live in a low cost city. Livonia veterinary care is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:56 pm

A quick pitch for me and who ever............ if you decide to go with Pet Plan, let me know so I can give you my last name, I get a gift card for referrals. (yea I'm greedy at times) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
A quick pitch for me and who ever............ if you decide to go with Pet Plan, let me know so I can give you my last name, I get a gift card for referrals. (yea I'm greedy at times) Very Happy
You got it!!...and you ain't being greedy! You should get the referral!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:05 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
cmanding wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

True, you can thank Detroit for that - the economy is crap. Sadly, I don't live in a low cost city. Livonia veterinary care is ridiculous.
Oh, Megan! I just re-read my post, and I didn't mean to sound as if you lived in a low cost city - I hope you didn't take it that way! My apologies!!! I just meant that Michigan's cost of living in general is lower than Colorado....so sorry!

Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 pm

I went back and forth as well regarding pet insurance. My first thought is that it was better to just keep a savings account for emergencies instead of paying premiums and hoping they cover it. I compared VPI with ASPCA insurance because those were the 2 most well known that I found.

Then I got a second pup and was rethinking insurance. I could afford to save for one dog, but if 2 got ill I would be bankrupt, plus when I went through my employer VPI offered a 5% discount, and another 5% discount for the second dog. Plus it is payroll deducted pre-tax, so that’s nice.

For Nikko, who is 8 months old I just got the basic plan for accidents and illness. It does not cover hereditary or pre-existing conditions and has an annual limit of 7,000 with a $500 deductible. For Yukon, since I have not yet been to the vet I added the Wellness plan, so I can get reimbursed for the vet visits and his neuter. I plan on canceling that after the first six months. The wellness plans are not cost effective for just the annual vet visits after the initial visits are done. It is less than $22 per paycheck, or $47 per month for both of them.

I just wanted something just in case something major happened. The down side is that you still have to pay up front and wait to be reimbursed. I wished that it worked more like people insurance, but oh well
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 pm

cmanding wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:
You got it!!...and you ain't being greedy! You should get the referral!

Most likely leaning towards Pet Plan also so I'll let you know!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 pm

cmanding wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
cmanding wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

Oh, Megan! I just re-read my post, and I didn't mean to sound as if you lived in a low cost city - I hope you didn't take it that way! My apologies!!! I just meant that Michigan's cost of living in general is lower than Colorado....so sorry!

Lol not how i took it at all - Detroit is much lower in cost - freaking livonia is expensive as all get out, probably due to it being in the top 20 safest places to live.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I get pet insurance   insurance - Should I get pet insurance - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I get pet insurance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-