It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! Empty
PostSubject: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Ok, brief history. (Remember, we just adopted her first week of Nov.)
Dec 14th, we were outside with the pups after we got home from work. They all did their potty. Noticed Mika was sitting/standing back up repeatedly. Then, she came over to us, went to sit, rolled to her back and let out a painful yelp. Continued crying, so we got the other two in the house, scooped her up and rushed her to a local vet (we don't go to her usually, but she did Mika's spay surgery) who happens to be open til 7 on Mondays. (Our normal vet is 45 minutes away and was closed). Anyway, by the time we got her to this vet (5 minutes away) she was fine and they thought we were crazy. Tell you, we thought she was in AGONY! So, they take her temp, have her walk around and say "bring back a stool sample". Thursday night, same thing, but on a lesser scale. Called our regular vet, who got her in that Saturday. He did a fecal check, cleaned her glands (which he said we not packed enough to cause pain like she is having). Gave her antibiotics and Forti flora, which is like a probiotic for canines, to add to her food every day for a month. All was fine, her stool, which could be mushy, stiffened up, and she seemed to be ok. Then again last night, same thing happened. Tommy punded on the back door for me to come out, and there she was by the back door, laying down and crying. Again, after she pooped, this happens. Back to the local vet here, this time an anal check and a suggestion of a fecal check and X-rays. Tonight, she is listless. We do have an appointment with our regular vet for X-rays on Friday. I have taken my dogs to this vet for 20 years or so and REALLY trust him. He did say that he doesn't think her intestines are twisted, as her pain does not last long enough, only 5 minutes or so. Then, she returns to normal. Up to tonight, she seems fine otherwise. We are so worried about her! I am thinking some blockage or something. The local vet suggested maybe it is her hips, and not her GI at all. If so, then her X-rays may show something as far as that goes. Anyone else have anything at all like this? No diarrhea, no vomiting. She is eating now, thank goodness. We feed our dogs Eagle Pack, and have been happy with it. Nanuk' s eaten it since he was at the pound, Isis since she came to us last Feb. and Mika since she came. So very worried. While I don't want anything to be wrong with her, I would be relieved if the x-rays did show something, so we could begin to deal with it. Said it would be brief, and I tried, but wanted you all to have all the info.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Well i have no idea and i hope Mika starts to feel better and you find out what is wrong.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks. We do, too.
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am

Wow thats scary I hope everything will work out
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am

Goodness. I've never heard of anything like that. Hoping you get an answer too.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 am

Oh no Sad I honestly have no idea either. You're doing all the right things though. My thoughts are with you and keep us updated!

Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 pm

A friend of mines dog has the same thing happen to her when she goes #2. She can't possibly figure out what it is either... hopefully the xrays will give some sort of information...
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks guys. We are hoping that all is ok. Now, we have to worry about driving an hour in this snow we have been getting to have her at the vet by 7 am. tomorrow. i will let you know what we find out!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 pm

be safe in that snow! i hope they figure it out, it sucks to keep wondering. has she still been acting the same when she goes? is she still eatting?
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:30 pm

We made it in ok. Called after 1, as they said we could. All the receptionist said is that we can pick her up after 3, and that the Doc wants to talk to us about it all. Very worried! She's eating ok. Doesn't have pain every time.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:31 pm

OMG- that's not cryptic. I'm sure it'll be fine though Smile Thanks for updating and please keep us posted! I'm thinking a lot about your little baby.

Shame on that receptionist for being so shady...

Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Mika is ok! Very Happy Anal glands were really packed this time. He went through the X-rays with us, and her hips look "wonderful!", her colon is "perfect" and her spine is good, too! He went through every detail of them with us, and reassured us that internally she is ok. (WHEW!) Dr . Lindsey was very thorough and informative! If anyone is interested as to how anal glands can become packed and/or infected, just ask, and I can give you his reason, which made a lot of sense! Basically the effect of dog food formulations and their changes, and its effect on the the formation of stools, AND why soft stools don't let the glands secrete as they should. Shocked Anyway, Mika is OK! Yay! We have to watch, and at the first signs of another painful episode, we have to take her back in, and if they are packed again, and it continues, we may have to eventually have them taken out. He also said that her poop is "perfectly formed" now. We had thought so, but he was very pleased, and thinks that with firmer stools, her glands will stop backing up. I think the "forti-flora" is helping. "forti-flora" is a probiotic, kinda. Basically good bacteria.
So, that's it for now. Wait and see, but am feeling much better about things now. Thanks for the support everyone! I'll keep you posted with an update.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Nice! I bet that's one helluva relief.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 11:38 pm

For her as much as for us, I'm thinking... Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Oh I'm so glad! I should have thought about the anal glands, but I'm so used to that being something with larger breeds (like Danes or Bernese Mt Dogs) that I completely forgot that it's common for huskies too.

Yay for thorough doctors, but shame on that receptionist! Seriously... something like a "she's fine, you can pick her up at three and the doctor will go over everything with you." I might have punched her in the face when I came back out of that exam room! :p So glad she's fine Smile

Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 am

I agree about the receptionist. But, I was so relieved that I could think of nothing else.

He did say that one of the most common breeds to have this is a Beagle! Our neighbor's Beagle has that problem, but not the pain. He did check her for that back on Dec. 19th, and there was stuff in there, but he didn't think enough to cause pain. But what he found was quite a bit, from what he said. So, we will hope for the best. Poor little girl. She has had a hard life. Just what she has gone through since coming to us in Nov is too much. I cannot imagine what her life was like before.....Methinks her former owner was not too nice a person. Hopefully this will all pass for her, and she can quit being violated! Love will be the best medicine for her, and we have plenty to spare!
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm glad to hear that mika is ok!@ i had been thinking about you guys!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 pm

THANK YOU! THE CONCERN HAS BEEN MUCH APPRECIATED.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Well, this makes me happy that I just got his glands expressed! I didn't know that things like that happen with their glands. Koda has just over a lot of runny poos from a kibble crisis. We got him groomed yesterday, they were suppose to just do a wash and blow dry which is $20, but my fiancee forgot to tell them just that and I got a nice $75 bill! I could have killed Jarod but now I am glad he got the whole groom done. Thank goodness it wasn't something very serious with Mika!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks! So far, she is still doing well. We should know in the next couple weeks or so, as that seems to be the length of time it takes for them to get packed again.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 5:58 pm

BTW, Takoda, your dog is adorable! Don't think I've met you yet....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Unless you're the same person who owned a Nanuk on thehuskyforum when we all use to be active there, then most likely not. Smile Thanks! I think he's a little stud too. Your dogs are lovely as well, I'm especially loving your red Razz If I were to get another sibe, I think it'd have to be a red. They're just so unique!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Nope, I registered long ago on thehuskyforum, but long before Nanuk, I think. Yes, the reds are beautiful. We had a female, Tia, who was also a red. She lived to the age of 16. They seem to be alittle bit more mellow. Just a teensy weensy bit! Laughing At least that's the experience with the two reds we've had.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!   Something is definitely wrong with our Mika! Empty

Back to top Go down

Something is definitely wrong with our Mika!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1