It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Had to Re-Home Dima

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dimasgirl
Newborn
Newborn
Dimasgirl

Female Join date : 2010-11-20

home - Had to Re-Home Dima Empty
PostSubject: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:14 am

After a lot of thought, and painful realization, it became clear that I had to re-home my lovely DIma. I recently graduated high school, and the way the plan was, is that I was to move out ( but the place I was moving to Dima couldn't come). Since I could not take him with me, and my mother could not handle such a large dog, we both decided he was better off with a different family. He now lives in a mountainous area in Oklahoma, where he is an only dog, and can be away from nasty fireworks that scare him (The people's family doesn't do fireworks).

The sad thing is, that my plans fell through, and I am left missing my best friend. Hopefully he is doing well. When we met the people, he didn't want to go with them, until I told him he had to: The woman was trying to lead him back to the car, but he stopped and just looked at me. It killed me to send him away.
Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:23 am

So sorry to hear that Sad breaks my heart
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Sorry thing's didn't work out for you. I hope the best for Dima.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:38 pm

So sorry things didn't work out! I'm sure Dima has a new loving family.
Back to top Go down
Dimasgirl
Newborn
Newborn
Dimasgirl

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:29 pm

One thing is for sure. When I get settled on my own, I will get a siberian husky. I love the breed, and even though none of them will ever be Dima, I will love them just as much.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm sorry you had to lose your best friend, I'm sure this decision was very stressful and hard on you. However (and I hope this doesn't come across harsh) I really hope you take this experience into consideration when you feel you are "settled on your own" and want your next dog/husky. Life throws a lot of curve balls, especially when you are young adult. Dogs should be a permanent addition to your life and not something that should be given up when you have to move/have kids/change schedules/etc. Large dogs and dogs on insurance "bad lists" (which Huskies are regularly on) can make finding places to rent very difficult. You could be out of college and feel settled, then move for a job to a city that is not dog friendly. When I moved with our husky, I had to live 40 minutes from my work to find an apartment that allowed dogs and now it looks like I may be getting relocated. Young adulthood is a life in flux!

Again, not trying to minimize what you are going through, or make you feel bad. But I just hope you learn from this experience. Many young people have a hard time adopting dogs because rescues don't trust the permanence of young owners' homes. Many dogs develop issues from multiple re-homings. Just things to consider...
Back to top Go down
Dimasgirl
Newborn
Newborn
Dimasgirl

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 pm

I see where you are coming from.It was a very hard decision, and I would have been able to take him had it not been for one of my potential roommates ( who pays a very large sum of the rent) not wanting another dog in the house. I took that into consideration, and the fact I was planning on perhaps enlisting in the Army (which I am currently trying to do). He would have had no life, living with my mother. My mother is in not in the condition to give him the exercise he needed. Dima never liked being away from me, nor I him. He was my best friend, but it was best for him.
As for the other issue, when I settle down, I mean when I am at a point in my life where it is practical to have a dog. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and I miss Dimitri everyday. Dogs should have forever homes, I know that from working at an animal shelter, but I also know that things happen, and you need to think of the dog first. Dimitri was a highly adaptable fellow, and very good at making new friends. It was best for him. He has a chance to bring joy to another person's life now, and will not be around some things he feared, like fireworks.
Just to set a record straight: I may be young, but from my own experiences I know that things don't always work out. I had a dog for ten years who had to be put down, whom I rescued from a shelter, just like Dimitri. It took a lot to rehome him.
Though your lecture was informative, it was not needed, for it was knowledge I already had.
Back to top Go down
tfaigle
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 am

Wow I'm so sorry for you. But glad you have the right attitude. We just got Jeter but are at a totally different stage in life. In fact Jeter wasn't in my plans but my better half lost her yorkie in June and since we're currently merging homes felt it was the right time. So stay smart and you'll know when it's right!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Had to Re-Home Dima   home - Had to Re-Home Dima Empty

Back to top Go down

Had to Re-Home Dima

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1