It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Clicker Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Treesa
Newborn
Newborn
Treesa

Female Join date : 2012-07-15

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 am

Hi all - I am clicker training my 11-week old puppy, Sasha. She is doing very well ! She learned "sit" and we have moved on to "lay down". We practiced sit for about 5 days, and are on our 2nd day of lay down. She seems to get it VERY quickly. Should I keep going for a couple more days, or is it OK to move onto something else if I think she has got it down? I don't want to end up overloading her with too much, but I also don't want her to get bored if she's got the command.

Thanks !!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:57 am

sit, lay down, and shake are pretty much the 3 most often taught tricks at the beginning of training. They can all be pretty well achieved by 12 weeks, so you are right on pace. The pups can get somewhat overloaded at an early age if you try to introduce too many tricks. 1-2 new tricks at a time, but always cycle in the old ones too, so your pup remembers the word associations. There was a point when Keeonah and I would rifle through like 7 or 8 tricks in a row before she got her treat. Never underestimate a husky's intelligence lol. You just have to move at their pace and help them understand. There are a lot of "fun tricks" like shake, bang, spin, speak, bow, etc, that are all fun to show to your friends, but a few of the ones i find most valuable and practical are:

Sit
Lay down
come
stay
^Essential

Back up - useful around doors, couches, etc. Keeonah well hop back a foot and a half, and it's reallly helpful sometimes!

Go round/other way - taught her in my room without a leash, but go round means walk a circle around me clockwise/other way is counter-clockwise. So helpful when she gets messed up on the leash.

Load up - pretty self explanatory lol. most dogs love to be invited into the car anyway haha

up and off - good for couches, beds, or picnic tables depending on what you're doing lol

bang - surprisingly enough, play dead (bang), has come in really helpful for grooming, wiping her (she was in heat recently), and of course for belly rubs Smile

I can tell Keeonah loves the mental stimulation from trying to understand what I'm teaching her, so sometimes I teach her silly tricks just to keep her mind working. The bonding is pretty great Smile

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 pm

I taught Kale to "leave it" by 12 weeks. I would put a treat on his paw and not let him have it until i gave a release command. Another one that I taught Kale was "spin" and "roll over". Both of those were mastered by 6 months. I also use "up up" to stand on hind legs or to get into a vehicle. Very Happy Never used clicker training tho, just treats. Love to see some videos of one of her training sessions. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 pm

It sounds like you are doing really well with Sasha! It's fine to move on to new commands when she seems ready, but like Sean said, keep doing the old commands sometimes too so that she doesn't forget. I find 'back' (back up) and 'other way' really useful too. Also 'turn over' for when I've groomed one side and want to do the other one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
suki243
Newborn
Newborn

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Awesome thread! Simba and I just starting clicker training last week. He's learned sit, down, and up. Off works every once in a while. I was wondering how many tricks and how long should we focus on a particular command for.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 6:08 am

Do you guys take classes or go off of books and YouTube videos?
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am

I did my clicker training with Luna through Petsmart classes, that's their preferred teaching method.
Back to top Go down
Treesa
Newborn
Newborn
Treesa

Female Join date : 2012-07-15

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks so much everyone !!! that is SO helpful !! She has "sit", "lay down" and "give paw" .. I think Stay is next on the list, from most of my reading most people say that is one of the most important commands to learn as it could keep them from danger.

We haven't done any formal training. Just learning through the forum and from You Tube
Back to top Go down
Xhermes
Newborn
Newborn

Clicker Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicker Training   Clicker Training EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 am

We learned clicker training to our courses. Once you know how it works you can teach her anything you want.

She knows :

- Sit
- Down
- Stay
- Down and stay
- Sit, stay and here
- Here
- High five
- Paw

And she puts her front paws against the car so we can put her in Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content