It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from Australia!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

Hello from Australia! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 am

Hi Everyone!

Name is Sammie, i live with my partner Todd and our 3 Huskies here in Australia. I work in Publishing selling textbooks to various universities in Australia and New Zealand and my partner works for my dad and his company doing cabinet making and Garage Organising/Outfitting. But, enough about us humans onto the animals, we own 3 Huskies (Mum, Dad & Son) who are our fur babies they get our constant love and attention their names are Halli, who is 5, Compton, who is 1yr & 2 mnths & Brooklyn, who is 3. We also own 7 adult snakes and 19 baby snakes as well as a green tree frog called Oswald.

I am really excited to join this forum, i have been looking for a husky specific one for quite a while, i am always wanting to learn more about the breed and hear stories and see photos from other Husky owners.

They are truely a breed of their own, full of personality, character, unconditional love and an opinion on most things. I am not too sure what to say in this little introduction, i will put some pictures up of our 3 and a breif thing about each one. If you would like to anything about myself or the animals ask away!

I can't wait to talk to you all and get to know you and your dogs! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Halli (below) is our mumma bear, she is mother of compton, she is queen of the household and head of the dog pack. All she needs to give is give a look to the 2 boys and they move out of her away, she has them wrapped around her little claw.
Hello from Australia! 28806_10150192127830220_599301_n
Hello from Australia! 10853_323262950219_5233106_n
Brooklyn(below) is our boof head who constantly sounds grumpy, when really he is just trying to have a conversation. He is the father of Compton. Brooklyn is a very loving dog and a big sook, he has to either be getting pats and cuddled by you or you risk him lying on top of you forcing you to pat him, he is extremely cheeky.
Hello from Australia! 294445_10150403394031815_1132653678_n
Hello from Australia! 418216_10151391778750220_1713164826_n
Last but not least in Compton, the son of Halli and Brooklyn. He is my baby, i have watched him grow up since he was born. He is the youngest of the group but the biggest and the slimmest of the group weighing in at 30kg. He has a tongue that is impossible hide from, and will never put him whole body on the furniture (unless there is something super exciting going on that involves his whole body, then he will consider it), his feet must be touching the ground at all times.
Hello from Australia! 526058_10150751761806815_1014216087_n
Hello from Australia! 538714_10150975026071815_1374266630_n
(he is in the middle, i have to take more recent photos of him)
Back to top Go down
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

Female Join date : 2012-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 am

Hey fellow aussie! What state are you in?

Your pack are gorgeous! Halli is a beautiful girl Smile

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 am

We live in QLD, Brisbane. I see you are a fellow Queenslander, Nice work.

Thank you, she sure is, she knows it too.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 6:08 am

lovely dogs, welcome!
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks Balonsmom!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:35 am

Loveing the family network Smile

Yay another Aussie. I'm over the other side though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Freya's Mummy, nice to see some Aussies here. lol, thanks.

How is it over the other side of Oz?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 am

Welcome! wave

What a beautiful pack. I can't wait to see more photo's of you're babies.
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Hayden_69!

Thank you! There will definitely be some more photos of the fur children.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 am

It's beautiful and sunny atm, doesnt feel like winter at all!
I've been able to get the washing dry nad take the kids and dog to the park so it must be great Smile

My eldest brother is in Townsville. He's a Sergent in the Army.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 am

Welcome you have a great looking pack they are just beautiful.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 am

Welcome! What a gorgeous family!
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 am

Francine, that sounds awesome, it has been beautiful here as well, a bit crisp in the morning but beautiful during the day. Any day during winter where you can get the washing dry must be a good day.

ljelgin: Thank you, your two are beautiful as well, i just love their colour.

Saberk: Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am

Haha, thats it. It's been crisp here too. Apparantly it's been the driest winter in 90 years or something like that.
We need the water, but I really love the sunshine.
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

I'm not a huge fan of the cold, i love the sun and warmer weather. We had a quite a few days of rain a week or so ago, which was good, because we needed it, but it certainly wasn't motivation to get up and go to work in the morning!
Back to top Go down
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 am

Sammie-Leigh wrote:
We live in QLD, Brisbane. I see you are a fellow Queenslander, Nice work.

Thank you, she sure is, she knows it too.

OH awesome! You're one of two Queensland husky owners I know of now, what area? I'm down south in Logan Smile

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of Husky social clubs here other than the 1 official, not overly active though Sad
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 am

We live in Runcorn, yeah i know what you mean. We live walking distance from a dog park and we see quite a few Huskies there surprisingly on the weekends and in the afternoons which is always nice. Smile

It would be awesome if there was more in the way of active Social Husky Clubs in Brisbane.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 am

How come I don't get to know anyone from Melbourne?? The husky club here only have a walk once a month and funnily my elder one only plays with huskies or malamutes. He treat other dogs like 'something not from the pack = mummy is that my new toy?'. Gotta start teaching him some manners..Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Sammie-Leigh wrote:
It would be awesome if there was more in the way of active Social Husky Clubs in Brisbane.

Start one Smile

I said the same thing a year ago when I couldn't find a single other Husky owner in this part of Florida, and finally got around to starting one around Christmas. We actually have a pretty good group going now. It's not hard, and I'd be more than happy to give you some advice.

I must say, I'm insanely jealous of you guys talking about the crisp weather! What I wouldn't give for a nice, cold fall or winter day right now. It was already like 80 (27C for you Aussies Razz ) when I had the dogs out at 6:00. Miserable!

Oh, and welcome aboard! You have a beautiful pack Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hello from Australia! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Titus&Lycan wrote:
How come I don't get to know anyone from Melbourne?? The husky club here only have a walk once a month and funnily my elder one only plays with huskies or malamutes. He treat other dogs like 'something not from the pack = mummy is that my new toy?'. Gotta start teaching him some manners..Smile

I wasn't expecting there to be too many Aussies on here, it's fantastic! i haven't done too much with the Husky club here, i have seen a few flyers for it, but they have never done any big events or meet ups from what i am aware. That's funny, he sounds like a character, Halli has a thing about little dogs she doesn't know, she isn't sure if they are dogs or toys that move, so she always gives us a look when we go to the dog park as if to say "mum, dad what is this?" after staring at it and following it around she moves onto something else she more certain about, haha, where as Compton is a dogs dog, and will play with any dog he can find that is willing to put up with him.
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Sammie-Leigh wrote:

Start one Smile

I said the same thing a year ago when I couldn't find a single other Husky owner in this part of Florida, and finally got around to starting one around Christmas. We actually have a pretty good group going now. It's not hard, and I'd be more than happy to give you some advice.

I must say, I'm insanely jealous of you guys talking about the crisp weather! What I wouldn't give for a nice, cold fall or winter day right now. It was already like 80 (27C for you Aussies Razz ) when I had the dogs out at 6:00. Miserable!

Oh, and welcome aboard! You have a beautiful pack Smile

That is a pretty good idea, actually, to be very honest i have never thought of that. Any advice you have would be fantastic i know we have some Huskies in our area because we see them down at the dog park and there are a couple malamutes too, though the owners were very young and i don't think they really knew how to control a dog of their size, was a bit frustrating.

The only time we really get crisp weather here in Queensland is in winter in the morning and at night, and perhaps when it is foggy/rainy, but otherwise it is usually quite nice and you don't need a jacket during the day.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:05 am

Shoot me a PM and we can definitely talk about it. I'm insanely busy with schoolwork during the week so I might be a little slow to respond, but I'll pass along all my pearls of wisdom from starting up our group here.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hello from Australia! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 am

I'm very keen to help start one here! you are 15 minutes away from me.

The only thing that bothers me is because I'm quite young (I'm 20, my fiance is 25) people thing I'm uneducated and stupid about my dogs and try and talk down to me when I talk about my dogs like I don't know what I'm doing and it is immensely frustrating.

Please let me know if you get any ideas! I'm all for the idea! Smile

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Welcome! great family pack you have there! would love more pictures!

Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 pm

NatalieJ wrote:
I'm very keen to help start one here! you are 15 minutes away from me.

The only thing that bothers me is because I'm quite young (I'm 20, my fiance is 25) people thing I'm uneducated and stupid about my dogs and try and talk down to me when I talk about my dogs like I don't know what I'm doing and it is immensely frustrating.

Please let me know if you get any ideas! I'm all for the idea! Smile

I know how you feel, i'm 21 and my partner is 25 and we get the same response from people, however both of us have more experience with dogs and animals, their health and looking after them then most people who are older then us. People can't help but stereotype and focus on nothing but age (and age has nothing to do with experience), and it is annoying, but to be very honest i do get a kick out of bursting their stereotype bubble and proving them wrong lol! I know what i am doing is right, and if i don't know what i am doing, then i find out how to do it properly, which is why this community is so fantastic!

Don't let it bother you, some people just have nothing better to do then judge, i say let them be, its a pretty miserable way to live, constantly worrying about others.

I will be sure to let you know if i get any ideas though, i did see there was a page on Facebook for what looks like a social club for huskies and malamutes in Brisbane, from what i saw on Facebook it looks quite large, i think they did a walk on the gold coast recently, and they had a flyer up in pet-barn at Underwood. But i am very keen to start something new up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia!   Hello from Australia! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Australia!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next