It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need advice!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Female Join date : 2012-04-27

Need advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Need advice!!   Need advice!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello my fellow husky-owners. I know i haven't posted here in forever, life has been so busy for us lately as I just picked up a 2nd job & starting back school again. Anyways. Our Shelby is now 9 months old, & we are still having some problems with her since we got her at 4 months. (maybe we suck at training? lol).

Problem #1: She still continues to whine & scratch at her cage all night when we leave her in there, I don't remember the last time we got a decent night of rest! & even though she has a ton of toys to play with she will still continue to chew up everything & pee & poop on the floor when we decide we want to leave her out of her cage at night because we don't want to deal with the whining. Sad (this is probably our biggest issue right now)

Problem #2: When my guy & I leave her with his parents & go to work all day, she will NOT eat until one of us comes back & sits in the back room with her.

Problem #3: Still really skittish around my fiance's dad..She cringes whenever he tries petting her & blah blah.

HELP! Sad
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Need advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice!!   Need advice!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:25 pm

Where is her kennel at night? And how much exercise is she getting during the day before nightfall when she's crated? If she's being crated in another room, try moving the kennel into your room. And if she's being crated in your room- try moving it into a different room. I know some of my dogs are fine crated if it's in my room but will not shut up if it's in another room.

At 9 months old she most certainly can hold her bowls over night. Approximately what are the hours which she's crated? 10pm-7am? She's probably using the bathroom during the night in the house because she's wound up and getting into things rather then sleeping... Or perhaps there is food/water out all night? If she's not on a set feeding schedule I would change that as well...

As for your fiances dad... Honestly I would just tell him to ignore her. I have a foster here who is afraid of anyone/anything that's not familiar. So I just tell people to ignore him completely (IE don't try to pet or "reassure" him that "it's OK") and he will approach and come around on his own terms. When a dog is so skiddish and fearful the worst thing to do is force them to interact because it doesn't do anything other than stress them out more. If she decides to approach him he of course can praise her but in a gentle way where he isn't going to frighten her away. A slow and easy "good girl" is sufficient. There are other methods such as tossing treats to her periodically but it's just really going to depend on how skiddish and how stressed out she is around him.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Need advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice!!   Need advice!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:41 pm

Thank you for your response. We crate her in our room & we unfortunately can't move her cage anywhere else in the house because there isn't enough room. & because we pretty much work all the time & get home late at night she will be crated anywhere from 2-3am-11:30-12 in the afternoon. But we made a mistake by letting her sleep out of her crate after she got fixed & had her E-collar on & she got pretty comfortable with that & was pretty good for a while about getting us up in the morning to go potty, but she doesn't get us up anymore, she just goes when she feels like it. until recently i've been having to clean stuff up there almost every other day & it is getting old, I'd like to hire a dog-walker because she doesn't get out enough with both of us working all the time. We are really trying to make time to get her out but some days it is impossible. & her food & water dish is always downstairs separate from her crate. So since she won't eat when we are gone, she eats at night when we come home late, which isn't what we want. I tried re-introducing her to her cage again by getting her a few new toys & putting treats around the area & inside the crate but she still wants nothing to do with it..
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Need advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice!!   Need advice!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm confused, when is she crated? Both at night and while you're gone? For most of the day, then?

If she doesn't wake you up to go pee/poo, you'll need to set an alarm to get up and let her out. You need to get her on a schedule - huskies love a routine. A dog walker while you're gone sounds like a great idea.
Back to top Go down
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Need advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice!!   Need advice!! EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 1:02 am

she's just crated at night. His parents take care of her during the day, they just aren't mobile enough to take her on walks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need advice!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice!!   Need advice!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1